SASS Wire Forum

Casualty Report Reaction

On another thread, the deaths of servicemen in Afghanistan are reported.  Understandably, the reactions are largely expressions of sympathy and respect.

My brain tells me that this is correct.

My heart tells me something else.  That we should not accept these losses so quietly and passively.  That if we are going to continue to fight these meandering wars, that we should exact a huge price when our people are targeted. That we should make a point of taking 10, or 20 or more of theirs for every 1 of ours that they kill.  In an announced and flagrant way.  That we are fighting an enemy with a totally different moral sense than us; that they regard us as less than human; that the only thing they understand is overwhelming, brutal force.

I know that I am not a military strategist.  I know that there are consequences for pure retaliation.  But if I were among the dead, or the survivors of the dead, I would want MORE than a bugle and a flag. 

I'm pissed, and I think it is time for the guys in charge to be pissed, too.

LL

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

On another thread, the deaths of servicemen in Afghanistan are reported.  Understandably, the reactions are largely expressions of sympathy and respect.

My brain tells me that this is correct.

My heart tells me something else.  That we should not accept these losses so quietly and passively.  That if we are going to continue to fight these meandering wars, that we should exact a huge price when our people are targeted. That we should make a point of taking 10, or 20 or more of theirs for every 1 of ours that they kill.  In an announced and flagrant way.  That we are fighting an enemy with a totally different moral sense than us; that they regard us as less than human; that the only thing they understand is overwhelming, brutal force.

I know that I am not a military strategist.  I know that there are consequences for pure retaliation.  But if I were among the dead, or the survivors of the dead, I would want MORE than a bugle and a flag. 

I'm pissed, and I think it is time for the guys in charge to be pissed, too.

LL

I suspect that they are, LL. 

Problem is the cockroaches live in the midst of a lot of innocent people.

Trying to selectively eliminate the right ones must be very difficult.

So-called friends who support the extremists and educate  indoctrinate the young with their messages of hate, while protected by their governments, remain one of the unsolved issues, as do the "Holy" men who came from those schools.

When you make the citizenry angry with the people that are causing the problem to the point that they no longer ignore and no longer allow those culprits to set the tone of the populace, you'll find the enemy is hard put to hide or fight.

Sadly, the pictures of Dresden at the end of WWII are the examples that come to mind!

Every death of one of my brothers and sisters under arms is too many. But its a war; people die. I feel confident our Defense Secretary feels the same way. I have no doubt he also knows the lessons of Dresden and Frankfurt and why they (and others) had to happen. Had the revelation about the nazi death camps come sooner, I'm sure the carnage would have been greater.

Sidenote, that little, fat korean porkchop has NO idea who he's ******* with. He really doesn't want us mad at him. Really.

When I hear about our folks being killed like this my gut reaction is quite different from my written response, if commenting. I do pray for these soldiers and their families and in addition I always ask for a solution. But, deep down inside, I know the solution.  It isn't pretty and it would entail following the words of Arnaud Amalric in the year 1204.

I will just leave it at that.

Bottles, drinks all around.

Archived