SASS Wire Forum

Anyone Ever Use... ?

Lead Friend, SASS #53635

Federal Top Gun 12g Target Loads, 1200 FPS, 1.25oz, 7.5 shot (TG12 7.5).

I shoot SxS. I found them at sixty bucks a case locally. I usually shoot Remington STS Light Target plus I roll my own but I don't want to let a bargain slip by me, if saving money doesn't cost me time that is. These seem a might warm for what we do but they are priced right for the thrifty shooter.

Any thoughts from the fire?

37 minutes ago, Assassin said:

They won't shuck as well as smooth shells. You might save money, you won't save time. What's the frustration worth?

I have had no issues with Federal Top Guns. Cannot say the same about other brands with ribbed hulls.

I shoot the 7/8 oz 12 gauge loads. Same cost with less recoil and they work on every KD I have shot.

Lead Friend, if you get the $2.00 per box rebate on Win. AA's it will put you close to the same price as the Feds. If you get free shipping and no tax price it may be less than the Fed. price. I don't use the low noise low recoil loads, seen too many shooters just catch a corner of a target and they did not go down. I use the light target AA's, same price and better kd power. Belle refuses to use the LNLR loads for the same reason. Considering I try to win overall at events one glitch can cost me the match, I've lost matches due to a shell failing to shuck properly and so have most of the better shooters we know. Having good working equipment and ammo you can depend on is paramount in this game.

All valid points well taken. Fundamentally it sounds like a false economy, the saving of dollars at the expense of seconds. I'll stick with what has been working for me.

Thanks to all who took the time to offer their thoughts.

As a new shooter with a SxS shooting the Winchester AA' s, I've had no issues with shucking. I do, however, have to work on my loading technique.

14 hours ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

All valid points well taken. Fundamentally it sounds like a false economy, the saving of dollars at the expense of seconds. I'll stick with what has been working for me.

Thanks to all who took the time to offer their thoughts.

That's exactly what it is...........Personally the 980 FPS 26 dram loads are too light for my liking but when you start pushing 1 ounce of shot at more than 1000 FPS your gains are probably going into the negatives........ 

not anymore as i load my own light loads - 3/4oz 1100-1150 12ga , but thats what i started with and would go back to them if needed , 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am confident that absolutely no one has been holding their breath on the subject of this post but there is a new development to report. After a couple of weeks the display stack of the ammo in question was still untouched so I offered fifty bucks a case for two cases, cash. It was 6:30pm on Mother's Day and the day had been slow. The young guy at the counter said their cost was $50.90 per case so he couldn't take less than $51 each. So now I have two cases of these shotshells in my basement, conventional wisdom notwithstanding, for a total cost of $109.65 including tax. I don't even know if I can roll 'em that cheap.

My Stoeger came with a recoil pad. Might as well put it to use.

Thanks to all for your observations.

On 4/29/2017 at 7:10 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

I have had no issues with Federal Top Guns.

Nor, have I. Shuck just fine out of my Stoeger, and reload great as well.

Ribbed hulls actually have less contact surface than a smooth hull.

You made a good purchase.

Ribbed for your pleasure!!!   ( I couldn't resist!)

those would just kick the crap out of me ,no thankew to that kind of load. The ONLY reason I reload my shotshells is for reduced recoil .. don't save any money,but sure saves on recoil and recovery. 

My Stoeger has a recoil ;pad but these would just be too mean. imho, ymmv

I practice with the cheapest stuff I can find. I use the AA"s or STS for bigger matches and the cheap stuff for local matches and practice.

I had some old ammo laying around that had rust on the and I got asked if I was really going to use it during the match.

I did and it stuck in my double, but it made good practice for having to deal with a problem on the line.

When everything goes right it easy, when you have to react to a problem, you have to think and correct it quickly.

Having had a problem and correcting in the past makes it easier to correct the next time you encounter the same problem.

1.25 oz is relatively heave for our game.  And 1200 fps is quite a bit more than 1145 used for target and lighter loads.  Sothat may not be as much fun to shoot.

We've had pretty good luck with Remington Club loads, especially the 1 oz version.  Even though they are ribbed and have the silver metal part, they work well in the SxS and normally well in the 97's.

Federal Top Gun 12g Target Loads, 1200 FPS, 1.25oz, 7.5 shot (TG12 7.5).

You have mis-read the label.  Target loads max out at 1 1/8 ounce of shot.   Not 1 1/4 ounce.

Here's the same product number on Cheaper than Dirt website:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ammo-12-gauge-federal-top-gun-2-3-4-1-1-8oz-75-shot-1200-fps-250-round-case-tg12-75-50029465019360.do

Good luck, GJ

9 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

You have mis-read the label.  Target loads max out at 1 1/8 ounce of shot.   Not 1 1/4 ounce.

Here's the same product number on Cheaper than Dirt website:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ammo-12-gauge-federal-top-gun-2-3-4-1-1-8oz-75-shot-1200-fps-250-round-case-tg12-75-50029465019360.do

Good luck, GJ

Indeed I did. Thank you.

Howdy

It's not a matter of a few seconds.

1 1/8 ounces of shot at 1200 fps is a 3 dram load. In other words that amount of Smokeless powder delivers the same velocity with 1 1/8 ounces of shot as 3 drams of Black Powder. A dram is 1/16 of an ounce. A 3 dram load delivers the same velocity as 82 grains of Black Powder. That's more than was in the 45-70. When I shoot Trap with a full sized shotgun I shoot 1 1/8 ounce 2 3/4 dram loads. 1 1/8 ounces of shot at 1145 fps. A 3 dram 1 1/8 ounce load beats the cr@p out of my shoulder, and that is with a full sized Winchester Model 12 with a 30" barrel that weighs 9 pounds 6 ounces.

A recoil pad is not going to help you much with your Stoeger, they will beat the living cr@p out of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all who shared their observations on these shotshells. I learned a lot. I shot the first box today and they really weren't that bad, clearly on the brisk side but not bothersome. They shucked without hesitation. I don't believe they cost me any time but they weren't what I would call particularly relaxed. We had a steady headwind all day so perhaps I'll save these for troublesome knockdowns and windy days.

At five bux a box I do not regret buying two cases although I expect they'll last me for some time.

Thanks to all for their contributions to the conversation.

I will use them for practice...when I do practice.    They have always shucked real good for me.   If you mic the outside diameter of the shell, you will see that it normally is a little smaller than the AA or the STS.     

Archived