Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Subdeacon Joe

California Legal AR

Recommended Posts

A thing of beauty! 

Not mine, I saw an ad for them and thought I would show everyone.  Don't you like it?  And for only $700!

 

ADDED:  That is a Ruger 8500 AR556.

 

ruger_8500_ca_legal_hera_cqr_featureless_logo_1_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather have a Ruger Mini-14, are they allowed in Cal.??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it doubles as an oar...

 

Okay, is that magazine detachable and is that a dreaded flash hider on there? Since the "bullet button" is illegal can you use the regular ol' pushbutton or is that just for decoration? Sorry about all the questions. I haven't kept up on CA gun laws as I really don't have a need to any longer. But my son-in-law has a couple of them and he was waiting until the dust settled, i.e.: Rumor mill to shut the heck up so he could find out what really is legal and what isn't...or are the laws still as obscure as ever? I was planning to send him some AR parts but I really don't know if anything I would be sending him can be used legally there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did a search for CA legal ARs:

For some reason I have Queen's song from the movie Flash Gordon running through my head...:D

Image result for California legal AR 15

Image result for California legal AR 15

 

 

Image result for California legal AR 15

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Looks like it doubles as an oar...

 

Okay, is that magazine detachable and is that a dreaded flash hider on there? Since the "bullet button" is illegal can you use the regular ol' pushbutton or is that just for decoration? Sorry about all the questions. I haven't kept up on CA gun laws as I really don't have a need to any longer. But my son-in-law has a couple of them and he was waiting until the dust settled, i.e.: Rumor mill to shut the heck up so he could find out what really is legal and what isn't...or are the laws still as obscure as ever? I was planning to send him some AR parts but I really don't know if anything I would be sending him can be used legally there.

 

 

Good questions.  Here is where I found it: https://www.preppergunshop.com/ruger-8500-ar556-ca-legal-black-featureless-cqr/

CRPA and NRA just filed suit against the CA AWB.  SCOTUS may be taking up Peruta (CCW case).  Everything is still up in the air - the CA DOJ hasn't yet issued the rules on how to comply with the new BS.  There are several different 'magazine locks' the block the mag release unless the firearm is pivoted open.  A bit of a pain to install.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DAMN, I'M GLAD I DON'T LIVE THERE ANYMORE!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is legal this year, might not be next year...The state changes with the wind...And we lose...

 

TL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about people that already have a "normal" AR15 in California?  Are they grandfathered in or do they have to destroy their gun?

 

I've been noticing that AR15's are getting really cheap lately.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

What about people that already have a "normal" AR15 in California?  Are they grandfathered in or do they have to destroy their gun?

 

I've been noticing that AR15's are getting really cheap lately.  

The information I heard was if not up graded to new standards if can only be used on a range only...Cannot be sold in California or passed to off spring...Up date it and you shoot anywhere where it is safe...What are the changes I cannot answer that part...That is what I have heard...Others my have better back ground on subject...

 

TL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

The information I heard was if not up graded to new standards if can only be used on a range only...Cannot be sold in California or passed to off spring...Up date it and you shoot anywhere where it is safe...What are the changes I cannot answer that part...That is what I have heard...Others my have better back ground on subject...

 

TL

 

 

Not quite.  If you don't (degrade) it with something like a Maglock you must register it with the CA DOJ as an assault rifle.  You then can't transfer it within the state, even to a relative.  If you do make it compliant, then it can still be transferred.  In either case, you can still use them at ranges, for whatever small game you shoot with an AR, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

 

Good questions.  Here is where I found it: https://www.preppergunshop.com/ruger-8500-ar556-ca-legal-black-featureless-cqr/

CRPA and NRA just filed suit against the CA AWB.  SCOTUS may be taking up Peruta (CCW case).  Everything is still up in the air - the CA DOJ hasn't yet issued the rules on how to comply with the new BS.  There are several different 'magazine locks' the block the mag release unless the firearm is pivoted open.  A bit of a pain to install.  

 

Thanks Joe.

 

Having lived in California from 1982 to 2005 (minus 1 1/2 years as I left a while) I lived with all the squirrelly gun laws and through all the weird changes over the years. The worst part was how obscure the actual laws were / are and how the DOJ couldn't answer questions about laws they were supposed to enforce. Nearly all California gun laws are written in a manner to keep lawyers rolling in dough. Heck, most cops don't know the gun laws and all the loopholes and ways around them. I did. But even knowing loopholes would not keep you from getting tossed in jail. Which is why I carried a card for a law firm in LA that specialized in fighting the laws and for gun owners. Luckily I never needed their services.

 

I do miss some things about CA, like family and friends and the country there. But the pluses there are definitely cancelled out by so many other negatives.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

 

Not quite.  If you don't (degrade) it with something like a Maglock you must register it with the CA DOJ as an assault rifle.  You then can't transfer it within the state, even to a relative.  If you do make it compliant, then it can still be transferred.  In either case, you can still use them at ranges, for whatever small game you shoot with an AR, etc.  

I think your information is more correct than mine...You added more to it...But for me it is, what is an assault rifle?? I the California it is any thing black and goes bang bang...My understanding is that an assault rifle is a selective fire semi auto rifle...Which by law is already illegal for the general public...Is my thinking wrong???  I was Air Force so carrying a rifle and understanding them was top of our list...At least not on mine...Taking care of and fixing bombing radars on B-52s is what I did...With cold things we had loaded, any thing delivered with in 100 yards was good enough...I think the radius 10 to 15 miles was our area of...You get the picture...

 

So where am I going wrong on my thinking...Also I do not own AR of any type...Just never got around to buying one...

 

Texas Lizard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

I think your information is more correct than mine...You added more to it...But for me it is, what is an assault rifle?? I the California it is any thing black and goes bang bang...My understanding is that an assault rifle is a selective fire semi auto rifle...Which by law is already illegal for the general public...Is my thinking wrong???  I was Air Force so carrying a rifle and understanding them was top of our list...At least not on mine...Taking care of and fixing bombing radars on B-52s is what I did...With cold things we had loaded, any thing delivered with in 100 yards was good enough...I think the radius 10 to 15 miles was our area of...You get the picture...

 

So where am I going wrong on my thinking...Also I do not own AR of any type...Just never got around to buying one...

 

Texas Lizard

 

 

Here you go:  https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/awguide.pdf?

Love this part: "Please note: This Assault Weapon Identification Guide was last updated in 2001, and does not contain the most up-to-date assault weapon identification information. The Assault Weapon Identification Guide is currently under revision. A 2017 version will be released in the near future."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EDIT: If this post is deemed "political" please delete it. I tried to write it in a non-political way but if not please just delete it. It will not hurt my feelings in any way.

 

I had forgotten to mention earlier that I also went back to CA from 2010 to 2013. I doubt I will ever live there again but if I somehow ended up back there (the money would have to be so good....) Anyway, I would just buy one of these if I wanted an AR type firearm.

http://troydefense.com/pumpactionrifle/

I wouldn't fool with the gadgetry it takes to be legal with my existing AR. I would probably just sell it.

 

For those of you confused about CA and AWs (assault weapons)

 

Here is what happens if you register a weapon that they deem an "Assault Weapon" (AW):

1. You have to transport it like a handgun. Locked up and unloaded. Unloaded also means the magazine(s) even though not attached must be unloaded.

2. Even if you have been lucky enough to get a CCW permit an AW is not a "concealable weapon" so it is not governed under that law and must be treated as an AW.

3. The police can, though I have never heard that they have, come and inspect your how to see that you store it correctly and have no illegal magazines or attachments.

4. ANYTIME you call 911 for any reason and give your address or they know your location by GPS or through caller ID you will first and foremost be asked about your AW, where it is, if it's inaccessible and locked up. Only then will they take your emergency request do to public safety issues.

5. When emergency services are dispatched the EMTs will hold off entering the home until the police arrive to verify the the AW is not present or not a danger.

6. Your home is always identified in relation to the AW to authorities.

7. You cannot have the AW if you live within 1000 feet of any public school or daycare center.

8. Any municipality may enact more stringent laws regarding AWs and eveb ban them all together within their city limits, which also includes transport through the city.

Now, Disclaimer time - these law may have changed but I doubt they have been lessened in their restrictions.

 

For those of you confused about CA and AWs.

CA "banned" AWs in the 90's. They made a list of named firearms to be banned and they could no longer be sold or transferred. They also made a list of "accessories" that would be banned on other guns like; Detachable Mags, pistol grips, flash hiders, folding stocks. If you had one you had to register and live with the list above. Gun dealers and manufacturer got around the ban by renaming guns or removing 2 of the items above (I feel like I am forgetting something on that list).  So, people with guns not on the list would just install a thumbhole stock and they were legal. Oh, and magazines were restricted to 10 rounds. You could keep larger mags but they had to be documented to be "grandfathered in". In other words you had to prove that a non serialized magazine was purchased before the ban.

 

At some point detachable mags on ARs and AKs and their clones were banned. The law said that if the gun had a removable mag that it had to be removed from the state, turned in, or modified so that the mag could only be removed with a tool. Some enterprising person came up with the "Bullet Button". A device that replaced the Mag release with solid unit that when the entirety of the device was pressed nothing would happen but in the center of this device was a button that had to be pressed with a "TOOL" (bullet tip, small metal rod / stick, etc...).

 

The advent of the bullet button meant that you could essentially have a non-banned AR with a pistol grip and a flash hider because the law said that you could not have more that 2 banned items on an AR type gun.

 

Now bear in mind, the entire time all this  was going on the Mini-14 was not banned. Only the magazine restriction governed the ownership of them, yet Mini-14 sales never jumped. Odd.

 

Also, during this time someone figured out that high capacity magazine "PARTS" could legally be sold. So, you could buy a hi-cap mag as long as it left the store as parts. A disassembled mag is / was "parts" under the law.

 

When I moved back there in 2010 I brought an AR and an AK with me. I installed a bullet button on my AR to make it legal and gave the AK to a good friend in PA. I never liked AKs anyway...

I gave that AR to my son-in-law and I built 3 more. At the end of 2013 I moved to Oregon. Yanked my bullet buttons and drug my hi-cap mags out of storage and that was that.

 

After I left some lawmakers figured out how people were skirting the laws by working through the loopholes in the law so laws were enacted to close those loopholes and to put more restrictions on AWs. 

 

Now, like I said above, I tried to keep this non-political but if it isn't please just delete it. It won't hurt my feelings in any way. I won't be angry, throw a fit or PM anyone to complain. I just wanted to help with any confusion and not cause any heartache.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the ARES Defense SCR (Sport Configurable Rifle) ever make it into production? It is intended to be legal in all 50 States. However since it is based on the AR platform I wonder if it is legal with it's detachable magazine.

 

http://www.guns.com/2014/04/11/stylish-new-featureless-ar-ares-defense-systems-video/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good way to verify the legality of something in CA is by asking the following 2 questions: 1) Is it cool? and 2) Do I want it? If the answer to either or both of those questions is "Yes" then there is a high likelihood the item is illegal. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget changing rifle configuration. Change out the lame legislators. Educate your fellow citizen. Oh well, gotta do what ya gotta do.

 

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not make this thread political. :)

It will be deleted or locked and that serves no purpose.

 

No, I am not a moderator and No, I am not in charge of anything here and No, I will not banter with anyone about it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might call it a Thing.

But not a thing of beauty. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Let's not make this thread political. :)

It will be deleted or locked and that serves no purpose.

 

No, I am not a moderator and No, I am not in charge of anything here and No, I will not banter with anyone about it...

 

Are YOU making it a political thread? Only mentioned about changing out 'lame' (i.e. bad gun law types) legislators. No particular party involved. MAYBE this thread belongs in the TEAM SASS forum.

 

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Call me crazy, but I kinda like this one:

 

a8837f6fcb0e73ff8ed3f3fa9b6f4588.jpg

 

 

 

And, I'm with Gunner; get rid of the anti-gun lame politicians, regardless of party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

DAMN, I'M GLAD I DON'T LIVE THERE ANYMORE!!!

ME TOO!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Call me crazy, but I kinda like this one:

 

a8837f6fcb0e73ff8ed3f3fa9b6f4588.jpg

 

 

 

And, I'm with Gunner; get rid of the anti-gun lame politicians, regardless of party.

 

 

There is a certain Buck Rogers/Firefly/Steampunk look to it.  

The CA laws were written to be as vague and confusing as possible.  There was one bill that was so poorly written that even the people in our Legislature told the author to withdraw it because under it almost any block of aluminum, or any piece of sheet steel could have been considered the receiver for an AR or AK and have needed to be registered with the CA DOJ and have a serial number assigned.  A photo I added a comment to before that bill was withdrawn.  The quote is one of CA State Sen. President Kevin de Leon's better ones.

ghost gun.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of the ones I have seen I like this one best. 10 round mag with 2 more in the stock and the ability to add a muzzle brake. Not sure a muzzle brake / flash hider, like a YHM Phantom is legal. It almost looks like an AK / AR compilation.

 

Image result for California legal AR 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. It looks like it is well thought out design.

 

Do you know you makes this gun? It would look good hanging on the wall by my Saiga Sport carbine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Seldom Seen #16162 said:

I agree. It looks like it is well thought out design.

 

Do you know you makes this gun? It would look good hanging on the wall by my Saiga Sport carbine.

This is a Kel-Tec SU-16CA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2017 at 8:39 AM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

ME TOO!!!

Every landslide begins with a single rock:  a SoCal SASS couple, very good friends of mine, just sold their house in California and bought one less that 6 miles from mine.  I'll wait until they announce it them selves, but they are a well known couple.

 

Now if only some of the rest of you would see the light you could join Birdgun and me in being happy, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Now if only some of the test of you would see the light you could join Birdgun and in being happy, too.

 

Forty Rod, 6 years and counting...unless I win the lottery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll be looking for you.

 

Gonna have a brand new Grumpy Lunch Bunch Too (Need a new mascot) waiting for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

We'll be looking for you.

 

Gonna have a band new Grumpy Lunch Bunch Too (Need a new mascot) waiting for you.

:lol::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Every landslide begins with a single rock:  a SoCal SASS couple, very good friends of mine, just sold their house in California and bought one less that 6 miles from mine.  I'll wait until they announce it them selves, but they are a well known couple.

 

Now if only some of the test of you would see the light you could join Birdgun and in being happy, too.

 

Is that supposed to be "Birdgun and ME in being happy"?

 

'Cause "Birdgun and in" don't make a whole lot of sense.

 

You also told Pat you was getting a "BAND new" Grumpy Lunch Bunch.

 

BRAND?

 

You need to have a long talk with that computer of yorn.

 

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, Man, we're puttin' The Band back together...

Image result for john belushi in blues brothers we're gettin the band back together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alpo said:

 

Is that supposed to be "Birdgun and ME in being happy"?

 

'Cause "Birdgun and in" don't make a whole lot of sense.

 

You also told Pat you was getting a "BAND new" Grumpy Lunch Bunch.

 

BRAND?

 

You need to have a long talk with that computer of yorn.

 

:P

Alpo, if you lived in Arizona...no worries...^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.