SASS Wire Forum

1894 Marlin light primer strikes

Fordyce Beals

Some one smarter then I told me that light primer strikes can be caused by:

"You might try cleaning the bolt first but usually it is the firing pin slot in the bolt. "

I am asking the wire how to implement a repair.  The lever moves the bolt open and closed and at the same time retracts the one piece firing pin so the advice above would seem to say that a burr or divot gets pushed in to the bolt in the "firing pin slot" and causes energy in the firing pin to dissipate before the primer is hit.  So it would seem that if I remove any burr or divot in the slot I would be back to the previous one trigger pull one shot fired?  Please impart some group knowledge to this thread.

Thank You

Fordyce Beals

Take the bolt out-When you shake it. Can you hear/see the FP move back and forth? If you can, you're GTG.

With the 1 piece FP installed. I'd be look'n at a weakened hammer spring as a cause of the FTF. You can shim the hammer spring with a couple of #8 flat washers.

Also-Be sure the trigger is not hitting the half cock notch of the hammer.

OLG

The Original Lumpy Gritz

Both of the first two conditions you suggest were implemented with out the desired result.  I'll take a look at the trigger/half cock notch clearance.  Thank you.  

Fordyce

I got the one piece firing pin and spring kit from Longhunter Shooting Supply.  Added a second washer to no improvement.

What is this factory ammo you speak of?  Only 777 powder and D. Blake 20 to 1  bullets reloaded on the 650 are provided to Leia (wife).  I load standing up with the strong mount and can pop the case rim off when seating the primer if I add more force and have Leia inspect all ammo for high primers so I don't think that's the issue.

Federal small pistol magnum match primer

Sounding more and more like a headspace problem.  Have that checked by a competent gunsmith, and do whatever is indicated.

RBK

Yes, ck HS. Put a EMPTY sized(unprimed)case in the chamber. Close the action. See how much you can move the bolt back and forth with with your fingers with the action closed and hammer cocked.

You should not have more than about .005" total movement.

What is this rifles caliber? 

I still say the hammer spring is the most likly deal. Especially if aftermarket.

OLG

5 minutes ago, Mink Shoals Bandit, #49388 said:

Is this a new problem since you put the new parts in, or slowly developed over time ??

years of use, new problem

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What is this rifles caliber? 

I still say the hammer spring is the most likly deal. Especially if aftermarket.

OLG

.32 H&R Magnum

If you have verniers you can get an estimate of head space by measuring the length of an empty case, seat a primer half way in, chamber the round, eject the case & measure OAL. Subtract the original case measurement & that will give you a rough HS.

If you have a one piece firing pin and it is sticking in the bolt remove it and clean it.  While it is out of the bolt if there is any damage it should be obvious.  If the rifle has been working for years and this just started then something is broke or dity.

maybe her timing is off,,,,  as in starting to lever as she pulls the trigger,,, I get that once in a while....

Before you start changing things around and looking for a problem that isn't there.......

The loads we shoot produce a lot of blow back or soot. Remove the bolt from the gun and allow the firing pin to hang vertically and observe the protrusion from the bolt. Remove the firing pin from the bolt and THOROUGHLY clean the inside of the bolt.  (assuming you didn't find a broken or worn firing pin)  Pay close attention to the shoulder that stops the pin from going forward. When you drop the pin back in you should see an increase in the pin protrusion from the bolt. 

Your second point of failure would be a weakening hammer spring. I recommend an adjustable hammer spring by Palo Verdi available from any number of  sources.

2 hours ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

I had a Marlin spring go bad in a match years ago. It was an old, light spring and finally wore out.

I had the same deal happen a couple of months ago.:rolleyes:

New hammer spring, and all is good again.

OLG

19 hours ago, Mink Shoals Bandit, #49388 said:

I would change the main spring and check the pin bore for an obstruction and also the pin for protrusion.....

14 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

. Remove the firing pin from the bolt and THOROUGHLY clean the inside of the bolt.  (assuming you didn't find a broken or worn firing pin)  Pay close attention to the shoulder that stops the pin from going forward. When you drop the pin back in you should see an increase in the pin protrusion from the bolt. 

. I recommend an adjustable hammer spring by Palo Verdi available from any number of  sources.

These two suggestions were part of the original smarter guy advice and Lumpy's ideas.

17 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

maybe her timing is off,,,,  as in starting to lever as she pulls the trigger,,, I get that once in a while....

No, I told Leia to try to recock the hammer before jacking the failed to fire shell out and they still failed to fire.  Putting the failed to fire shell in on of her Ruger Single Sixes they can be made to fire. 120 rounds at Kings River had 2 fail to fire.

18 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

If you have verniers you can get an estimate of head space by measuring the length of an empty case, seat a primer half way in, chamber the round, eject the case & measure OAL. Subtract the original case measurement & that will give you a rough HS.

This shows Yusta B. knows the practical definition of head space,  Great idea.  I'll try it because it is so easy!  I down loaded the SAAMI drawing for reference.

I plan to work on the gun and implement some repairs and will post back the results.  Thanks to every one.

My wife gets light hits when she gets her thumb in the way and slightly retards the hammer fall. Swears it's not her, but nobody else can repeat the phenomenon. Something is slowing the hammer fall, probably a weak spring or dirty firing pin.

CR

Archived