SASS Wire Forum

Lost a Good Friend & Real Cowboy

Smoken D

Lost my friend and neighbor yesterday, Arnold (Rusty) Smith. He rode the circuit with the likes of Jock Mahoney (The Range Rider Series) and Dick Jones (Dick West Range Rider Series) when they did rodeo's together. One of many stories was when he was at the home of Jock Mahoney, who was married to Sally Field, he bumped, so he said, into a lady and knocked her into the swimming pool. That lady was Sally Field. Another story he was hired as a horse care taker on this ranch. His first day he arrived and no one was around. There was this very large horse rearing back in a corral that he knew just needed to get out and run. So, he grabbed a saddle where he and the horse took off where he could barely hold on. A jeep came by up the road and the horse was outrunning the jeep. Rusty finally got the horse to stop at the corral. A guy got out of the jeep and asked him what the heck he was doing. No one can ride that horse but me and two other fellows. Well, this turned out to be Roy Rogers and of course the horse was Trigger. When Roy found out Rusty could play a guitar, Rusty joined the gang playing along on Saturday nights. Roy also bought Rusty a life membership to N.R.A. for Rusty's birthday. Many a story Rusty had and lived. Happy Trails my friend, till we meet again.

Smoken D

A man to be missed!

I rejoice your life was enriched by the knowing of him, and my hand on your shoulder in understanding, my friend, for I too have lost friends with whom I rode the River.

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Smoken D:

I feel for you and your loss; good friends are hard to find  and even harder to keep.

A small point of clarification; Jock Mahoney was Sally Field's step-father; he was, at one time, married to her mother, Margaret Field. 

LL

Yea, I got that backwards while typing. As I was about to type Margaret, I was thinking Sally her daughter.

Archived