SASS Wire Forum

Flechettes

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/08/18/flechettes-peculiar-weapon-first-world-war/

Swiss flechettes (1915) Source

World War I air dropped flechettes, probably French. Source

"The whole mechanism of deploying the flechettes was rather a simple technique; a small canister was attached to the bottom of the fuselage of the plane which was controlled via thin string. Upon pulling the string, the canister would open dropping the flechettes on the troops or civilians underneath."

Pretty cool article Subdeacon Joe. I love all history I get on the wire.

I heard they also used them in shotguns in vietnam. I have some flechette rounds for my shotgun that I bought for home defense. But I retired them when I found out they're actually long range rounds. At inside the house distances, supposedly they haven't even turned around yet so the pointy end is out.

26 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I heard they also used them in shotguns in vietnam. I have some flechette rounds for my shotgun that I bought for home defense. But I retired them when I found out they're actually long range rounds. At inside the house distances, supposedly they haven't even turned around yet so the pointy end is out.

Also used in 105mm tank rounds. When I was stationed in Korea in the early 80's, we had 5 "Beehive" rounds on each tank. Timer on the tip of the round. Got to fire some on gunnery at soft targets. Pretty much tore up anything in the way. Great deforestation tool.

00-Beehive.jpg

01-beehive.jpg

A friend from the neighborhood growing up was in an arty unit in 'Nam. when he came back,he told us a story of them catching Charlie within their range and using flechettes on them. later during an inspection of the target area, he said getting the dead Charlie's off trees was like tear on the dotted line:o:huh::blush:

Archived