SASS Wire Forum

Proper etiquette for gun cart storage of firearms

Preparing for my first shoot next Saturday and never really thought about the proper way to store my firearms in my cart.

Revolvers will be holstered, unloaded; however, does the rifle need to have the action open, or can it be closed while in the cart? Same question for the shotgun. If the action on both can be closed while in the

cart, can they be covered with a gun sock?

Didn't see anything in the Shooters Handbook, or the ROI book.

Let me know if I missed it being covered somewhere.

Thanks.

2. Safe firearm handling is the shooter‘s responsibility. The 170-degree safety rule is in effect. 
Muzzle direction is important between, before, during, and after shooting a stage. A muzzle 
must not be allowed to "sweep" the other participants at any time. Long guns shall have their 
actions open with chambers and magazines empty and muzzles pointed in a safe direction 
when transported at a match.
A holstered revolver (loaded or empty) with the hammer fully 
down on an empty chamber or expended case is considered safe and may not be interpreted 
as sweeping another shooter while safely secured in the holster. Failure to manage safe 
muzzle direction is grounds for disqualification from the stage, and for repeated offenses, 
from the match.

SHB p.23 

Palewolf:

Thank you for the reference.

I'm interpreting this to mean that covering with gun socks during stage transitions is not acceptable?

If so, what is the best way to protect your guns from dirt and dust during transfer between stages?

I use gun socks. When I carry my long guns over to my cart I set them both in the cart, muzzles up, actions open. I get the sock and start the opening over the muzzle of either gun and then pick the long gun up vertically holding the sock and muzzle in the left hand, right hand gripping the stock just behind the receiver. I pick it straight up, pointing up. Once it's clear of the cart I hold the gun upright with the right hand and then feed the sock over the barrel and down to the receiver with my left hand and then set it back down in the cart, upright. Easy. Just takes a little practice. - Don't practice at the match. Do it at home. If you make a mistake you can't get a DQ at home...unless you are really hard on yourself. :D

Don't bother socking and un-socking your rifle(s) and shotgun(s).  It's a huge pain in the xxx to do that.  That's a sure cure for ocd if you go in doing that!!  :-)   Just leave your actions open.

You can keep SxS shotguns and '97 pumps open in loose fitting gun socks.  I like the Bore Store brand.  However, lever action rifles need a slit up the side of the cover to allow the lever to stick out.  You can make gun covers out of old trouser legs.  These will do until you get nicer ones at major matches.  When the weather gets really ugly my wife covers her gun cart with a BBQ grill cover.

I made a couple of socks out of upholstery leather so long guns could be covered with actions open, rifle and SxS. With the correct needle it can be stitched  on a regular sewing machine. I only use them at EOT or if it's raining, normally I don't cover them whie in the cart.

Randy

1 hour ago, Cat Brules, SASS #14086 said:

Don't bother socking and un-socking your rifle(s) and shotgun(s).  It's a huge pain in the xxx to do that.  That's a sure cure for ocd if you go in doing that!!  :-)   Just leave your actions open.

This, unless yer in a sand storm there ain't no need;)..if it's that bad I'm going to the house....I gotta a nice vented umbrella and X-large trash bag in case it rains.B) ...and your quota for questions prior to going to a match was up two weeks ago:D Yer gonna learn a whole lot just by being there....Good Luck on your first match:)

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

There are lots of places I have shot that are windy and dusty, one place had sand blowing around. I used socks to cover them then, or in the rain. Otherwise actions open, upright. Some socks have splits in them so you can open the action, some don't. Some ranges allowed socks with closed actions under normal conditions, some did not, best to ask. Can't think of any that did not allow socks with closed actions under bad conditions. But the Florida I remember was not dusty like it gets out west

I have some covers I made when I started over ten years ago out of leather . I put them on when moving from berm to berm , or weather demand, rain and dust. I choose to put them on at the loading tables but I also have my cart close.

I didn't have a guncart or a shotgun at my first match 3 months ago, much less gun covers.  Don't worry Father, everyone will take care of you and show you the ropes.  The Texas Ten Horns and Hairtrigger took good care of me during my first match.  Its like drinking from a firehose when you start, especially when that buzzer goes off.  Don't over think it and have fun.

And I don't use a cart at all....everything I need is in my saddle bags, The long guns travel in leather scabbards that are strapped together  then over to the LT and  remove,  then I take the scabbards over to the ULT where the long guns are cleared and cased actions closed upon completion of the stage. Works for me....

Bugler

I suggest you put your firearms in gun sleeves while in your cart.  Nothing worse than blowing dust in your actions.  It only takes a few seconds.  When raining some shooters will take their firearms in the sleeve to the loading table to keep their firearms as dry as possible.  They will pull them off just enough to load, and then remove them at the last minute.  There are plenty of sleeves made so you can keep your actions open.  Have a great first shoot and have fun.

From the comments, you can tell who lives or has shot in dusty areas.  It makes a HUGE difference.

In dry more desert climates, the dust can be a major problem in a very short time.  For many of us on the East coast, we may have never experienced it.  Since I was raised in Western Nebraska and Wyoming, that super fine dust sneaks into everything!  And the dust just lobes many of the lubes and greases and turns them into a nice slightly sticky "polishing" compound.

So depending on where you shoot, you may never need those socks except for a rainy day.  Other folks  will not leave home without them.

Listen To Kirk James.  Notice where he lives.

The gun sleeves from Hamilton Dry Goods are split up the sides with Velcro enclosures so you can use them with the lever open or SxS broken open! Here in the southwest the winds are spirited in the spring { read that as the breath of an angry dragon } which tends to really kick up dust at times. They also tend to keep the long guns much cooler on warm days in the New Mexico desert!;)

On 4/8/2017 at 5:12 PM, Cat Brules, SASS #14086 said:

You are joking?

It is my understanding the Shooter must transport long guns with actions open.

But when the long guns are in the cart, the actions may be closed and with a cover over them.

Just remember to open the actions before you remove the long guns from the cart to transport them.

As many who live in dry climes have mentioned, the wind and dust can play havoc on your firearms.  I have had long guns lock up from the grit.  Another reason to cover is the dust stirred up by all the people walking around your cart.  On a calm day the dust from all the foot traffic can cover your guns, especially at EoT.  I started with a real open cart and no covers.  Now I have a rugged gear cart that keeps every thing out of the dirt and I cover.

Then there is the summer heat.  When your guns are too hot to hold you will learn to cover them.

Get a canvas or leather sleeves so you can set the guns in the cart and simply drop the sleeves over them.

Some clubs, particularly in the Great NorthWET, have a standing (published) range rule that allows transport of long guns with actions closed when enclosed in a case or scabbard.

Some also extend that exception to enclosed gun carts.

That is an unwritten allowable exception, but it requires absolute due diligence at the ULT to make certain that those long guns are CLEARED of all rounds, empty and unfired.

The allowance has been in place since the very first TG Summit, at which the proponents of the "action open while being transported" rule were adamantly opposed to the exception.

Those of us who sometimes shoot in blowing rain/snow/dust/sand were able to get the exception noted, but not codified.

I use the bottom-split light canvas covers while moving long guns in my open cart on the range.

(IIRC, I bought them from Blackey Cole many years ago at EoT)

Partners:

I checked the Hamilton Dry Goods website that Captain Clark mentioned above and did not see the bottom-split light canvas covers that PaleWolf mentioned.

Anyone have an idea where these could be purchased.

Appreciate any assistance.

2 hours ago, LAST CHANCE said:

You are joking?

No.

Cat Brules

I use simple, inexpensive, home-made fleece socks. Easy on, easy off. Keeps a ton of dust off especially in those areas that are dry, dusty and windy. Wyoming and eastern Montana shoots come to mind.

FKCGG,

I think you'll find that covers are not very common in our area........It's good to have them in case of rain or a big garbage bag. You can order some with your SASS number and Alias on them from the SASS mercantile. They are pretty cool.....I have a set that I keep in my range bag. They will see their first use when I go to EOT in June.

Stan

Santa Fe RIver Stan:

Thank you for the heads up on the covers at SASS Mercantile, will check them out.

Will see you Saturday. I'll be shooting on Brucesters' Posse so he can follow-up on my New Shooter Orientation from yesterday.

I am so excited about the match I can't contain myself.

The one RUCAS match I went to for the morning was typical wet and cold. Everyone had Umbellas on their carts whether zip tied or whatever. I do not recall socks or covers but I was also a deer in the headlights trying to take it all in, so darned good question, Father! I have some ideas for the interim once I try to start and will also confer with Lawbreaker of Ghostriders. Darned helpful fella for my local questions.

7 minutes ago, Raincrow said:

The one RUCAS match I went to for the morning was typical wet and cold. Everyone had Umbellas on their carts whether zip tied or whatever. I do not recall socks or covers but I was also a deer in the headlights trying to take it all in, so darned good question, Father! I have some ideas for the interim once I try to start and will also confer with Lawbreaker of Ghostriders. Darned helpful fella for my local questions.

I would see if you can get a copy of the "Range Rules" for RUCAS.

They were one of the PNW clubs that allowed the "unless enclosed in a case or scabbard" exception to the "actions open while being transported" rule.

8 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Partners:

I checked the Hamilton Dry Goods website that Captain Clark mentioned above and did not see the bottom-split light canvas covers that PaleWolf mentioned.

Anyone have an idea where these could be purchased.

Appreciate any assistance.

I bought mine through the SASS Mercantile, but I don't see them there now. I also made one myself from cloth shot bags.

My long gun sleeves I mentioned in the earlier post did indeed come through the SASS Mercantile, do have my alias printed on them, and are tagged as being from Hamilton! They were a Christmas present 2 years ago, and Ocotillo Annie verified that's how she came up with them.

The split canvas covers from the Mercantile with the SASS logo on them work very well also but aren't as water resistant.  

On 4/9/2017 at 6:18 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Kit,

I would never use gun socks. I do have some canvas gun covers. They have a slit that allows the action to stay open. I have rarely used them; but, would take them to NV or NM for sure.

Regards,

Allie

Hey Allie, I would add Arizona, West Texas, and So Cal to that list, depending on the time of the year. I just carried them in my trailer just in case.

Are the ones from SASS Mercantile a new thing?

On 4/10/2017 at 8:28 AM, C0ckr0ach, SASS #26100 said:

It is my understanding the Shooter must transport long guns with actions open.

But when the long guns are in the cart, the actions may be closed and with a cover over them.

Just remember to open the actions before you remove the long guns from the cart to transport them.

I do not believe this is a true statement unless club rules over ride SASS rules due to the weather or other.  I do not believe sleeves allow a guns action to be closed in the cart, hence the split to allow a lever to be open for example.  Putting guns in a zippered case in the cart would allow the guns action to be closed.

I always cover the guns in the cart with canvas covers with the slit so that the actions can stay open. I have various reasons....dust (been pretty damn dry lately), bits of lead from target splatter, leafs/tree pollen and rain.

The most important gun cart etiquette is.......don't park it under the canopy that is there for folks to shelter from the sun (unless it's raining). Guns don't need shade, people do.

Meet you on Saturday.

SC

Archived