SASS Wire Forum

1897 Winchester take down

Col Del Rio

Greetings,

Anyone own or have used a 1897 Winchester shotgun take down model? I have never seen one up close.  

Colonel Del Rio

I have one. They work exactly like a solid frame.

8 hours ago, Col Del Rio said:

Greetings,

Anyone own or have used a 1897 Winchester shotgun take down model? I have never seen one up close.  

Colonel Del Rio

I have 13 16gauge 1897 takedowns. I've never seen a solid frame one.

Functionally they are similar. The takedown version (most common in originals) is slightly longer due to the extension that provides the take down feature. I use solid frame originals because I have short arms and like the reduced length,even though it is only about an inch.

You must have had very limited exposure to Winchester 97s if you have not seen a take-down model. They probably outnumber solid frames 10 to 1 , if not more.

Actually , I have never read or heard of the correct ratio , and seems Winchester's records were lost , but just going by what I have seen at CAS matches in the past 22 years ; very few solid frames.

Even have one (take-down) myself. Seldom use it , prefer doubles.

Keep lookin' , Rex :D

I know a Pard who has a cousin that knows a guy with a co-worker that dated a girl whose brother saw one in a pawn shop in............now what was the name of that town? Oh well, they're out there. You can trust me! ;)

6 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

I know a Pard who has a cousin that knows a guy with a co-worker that dated a girl whose brother saw one in a pawn shop in............now what was the name of that town? Oh well, they're out there. You can trust me! ;)

Thought I heard the same thing!  Was it in El Paso?;)

23 minutes ago, FlashAndPoof said:

I've always thought a '97 Trench shotgun to be iconic in appearance. Are they takedown or not? I always see them for well over $2000 though :(

The Trenchguns are solid frame.   There is a Chinese replica of the Trenchgun out there, which is what I have and they are well made and affordable.

Once shot a round of Wild Bunch with a fixed bayonet.   It was a blast

I have one, 1913, 30" barrel, take-down. Has a number painted in white in one side of the stock. My gunsmith buddy speculates it was a working gun of some kind, maybe a prison gun although that seems unlikely with a 30" barrel. It was handled and carried a lot but apparently not shot much. I've shot it once and taken it apart once and it is tight! My brain just ain't wired for a pump but I keep it around because she's a beaut and I like cowboy guns. Maybe one day 'll get around to playing with it. 

Interestingly today I was perusing the guns at my favorite pawn/gun shop combo store after work and he had 3 97's all of which were take down models. I was a bit surprised as I assumed they were a bit more "rare" or at least I've never seen so many in one place.

Archived