SASS Wire Forum

Willie and Joe

Subdeacon Joe

My father-in-law, James Bullock, was in Patton's 3rd Army.  James had a high opinion of LTG Patton. 

"General Patton was a tough son-of-a-bitch, but he knew how to fight a war." --James Bullock

Why would having the windshield up be a bad thing?

Would the "trousers down" be "not bloused" (I don't believe they was saggin' back then)?

That particular cartoon got Bill Mauldin in some serious trouble with Patton.  If Ike hadn't intervened, Patton probably would have jailed him over it (he threatened to do so and also threatened to ban Stars and Stripes from his command).

His (Mauldin's) memoir, 'The Brass Ring', is a good read.

The windshield thing was Patton being Patton.  It was regulations and that was the way it had to be done.  Sort of like how he expected all troops to be clean shaven at all times- including combat.

Of course, that windshield regulation didn't apply to Patton's personal jeep.  It had a set of air horns mounted on the hood, so the windshield couldn't be lowered.

I have a book of his work. Much of it I found still relevant to today's Army (or at least the Army of five years ago)

I also have a modeling magazine showing dioramas done by a very talented modeler, bringing the comics to 3D.

Mauldin's "Up Front With Willy and Joe" is a classic!  The captions on a couple of his cartoons are my favorites: "It ain't the bullet with my name on it that concerns me. It's the one marked 'To Whom it May Concern' that worries me!"  The other shows a lieutenant standing holding his helmet with his finger sticking through it.  He is in front of a major seated at a desk. The major says, "Nonsense! That machine gun was reported knocked out hours ago.  And stop wiggling your finger at me!"

2 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Mauldin's "Up Front With Willy and Joe" is a classic!  The captions on a couple of his cartoons are my favorites: "It ain't the bullet with my name on it that concerns me. It's the one marked 'To Whom it May Concern' that worries me!"  The other shows a lieutenant standing holding his helmet with his finger sticking through it.  He is in front of a major seated at a desk. The major says, "Nonsense! That machine gun was reported knocked out hours ago.  And stop wiggling your finger at me!"

But his post war book Back Home was kind of a flop.  Servicemen understood it but most civilians didn't.

30 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

But his post war book Back Home was kind of a flop.  Servicemen understood it but most civilians didn't.

That is still true.  Put a group of civilians in a waiting room and they'll all stare at their phones or the walls.

Put a couple of veterans that have never met in the same room and they talk to one another. May never say anything meaning full or earth shattering but they will talk about something.  One thing the military imparted on us is that no matter where you are a stranger is just a friend you have yet to meet.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:35 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

No surprise there, Forty.  Two different worlds.

I picked up a 1946 hardback copy of Up Front at a library sale in Layton, Utah for two bits in 1970 and a 1947 hardback edition of back home at a used book store in Pomona, California for a buck.

Two of my favorite treasures... and Charlie, I have a dozen or so issues of Stars and Stripes from the war years that my dad gave me when I was commissioned.

Marshal Mo,

I believe you have your author confused.  Ernie Pyle was killed in the Pacific Theater.  Bill Mauldin survived the war and was a pulziter prize winner for cartoons, he passed away a few years ago.

Old Top

1 hour ago, Old Top said:

Marshal Mo,

I believe you have your author confused.  Ernie Pyle was killed in the Pacific Theater.  Bill Mauldin survived the war and was a pulziter prize winner for cartoons, he passed away a few years ago.

Old Top

ahhhhh, thanks!

I'm a Viet Nam vet, but have heard of both of them.Just started reading Ernie Pyles "Her is Your War. Not even sure where the book came from. It's been wet somewhere, but still in decent shape.

23 hours ago, Old Top said:

Marshal Mo,

Old Top

Ernie Pyle was killed on Ia Shima, a small island NW of Okinawa.  We visited the site when we were stationed there.  Pyle was noted for sending letters via his column to families of service personnel that he met in war zones.

Archived