SASS Wire Forum

very disappointed in my kids

Trigger Mike

being that I've spent days watching episodes of 12 o'clock high and feeling a little better i thought id use the Wii to go to youtube and play 12 o'clock high the first episode for my 4 children to see on the TV.  even my 2 boys were immediately bored.  my 7 year old said he didn't like black and white.  I told him thats how it was when i was your age.  never mind they watch Andy Griffith in black and white all the time.  even my 11 year old who does not like to read picked up a crossword puzzle to do instead of watching it.  my daughter wandered off to her room after playing noisily with her sister.  no one cared and could not wait for it to end.  they just don't appreciate the good things in life.

They're kids. Tell them they aren't allowed to watch it. Forbid it. THEN they'll be interested. At least interested enough to look into it. :D

I trust (or hope) you are being sarcastic in expressing disappointment that your kids don't like the same things you do.  Kids will be kids with their own likes and dislikes, and yours are at the age where they're developing their own flavor for life.  Introduce them to the things that you like, such as hunting or "12 O'Clock High", and let them decide.

My wife and I have four kids, ages 23-26.  One is a gun nut like me but doesn't care for the outdoors.  One is my camping buddy but doesn't care for guns.  One is a nerdy goofball who sort of likes the outdoors.  One is marching his own path.  They're all good kids who we get to enjoy in their own way.

The surest way to turn a kid off to one of your hobbies is to force it down their throats.

One of sons was really into video games when he was younger. He was playing the Medal of Honor series, so I invited him to the range to try a real Garand and 1911. 

Maybe theres something in their games you can connect through. Swords?  Knives?  Fantasy costuming?

They are simply too young. I grew up on WWII movies. My dad was an Air Corps vet. It was close to home for us. Your kids are 2 or 3 generations removed from that.

Archived