SASS Wire Forum

If Hollywood Were Realistic........

Another thread bemoaning the unrealistic content in the movies and TV related to wars and guns and shooting......got me thinking.

OK; I'll pick up the gauntlet.

If we REQUIRED Hollywood to be fully realistic about guns, wars, shooting and wounds, what would we get and what would we lose?

We'd get:

• Stovepipes, jams and various other malfunctions occurring randomly during gunfights and battles (and lots of dead heroes as a result),
  • Ammo limited to actual magazine/cylinder capacity (and lots of dead heroes as a result);
  • Some of the ultimate in gore and dismemberment and death, in living color;
  • Accurate depictions of gun function and results (BORING!!!!)

We'd lose:

• Extended exchanges of fire in cowboy showdowns (think Kevin Costner in Open Range);
  • Unlimited supplies of ammo in Roaring Twenties machine guns, WWII strafing runs, and Rambo revenge killings;
  • The perfection of movie Colts, plucked from the dirt, river water, mud, or the hand of a dead man, and firing every time;
  • Doc Holliday's 20 shot Colt Lightning at the OK Corral.
  • Most of those great monologues delivered by dying heroes (who should have died instantly in the real world)

I LIKE the fiction, exaggeration and impossibility of the Hollywood version of reality.  I don't need the level of gore that will send us running to the men's room to vomit.  It is, after all, entertainment.  A few extra clicks in the action, or a few extra rounds from the magazine, or a rifle from a later decade showing up in an earlier time - minor details.  Watch the film and enjoy it for what it is.  Want strict reality?  Watch the news.

LL

"An eagle-eyed viewer might be able to see the wires. A pedant might be able to see the wires. But I think if you're looking at the wires you're ignoring the story. If you go to a puppet show you can see the wires. But it's about the puppets, it's not about the string. If you go to a Punch and Judy show and you're only watching the wires, you're a freak."

— Dean Learner

The willing suspension of disbelief is and will always be an important factor of entertainment.

Counterpoint: The stupidity and unrealistic portrayals of those in Hollywood have resulted in many of the laws and misconceptions people have today regarding guns and actual historical events.

I am not arguing, just bringing up a point. Some of my favorite movies are totally unrealistic. Tombstone, Open Range (more realistic than many) Quigley, Nearly every John Wayne movie...I could go on for hours on this and not only on Westerns. 

As Doc said:

18 minutes ago, DocWard said:

The willing suspension of disbelief is and will always be an important factor of entertainment.

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Want strict reality?  Watch the news.

LL

I agree with the rest but...  I dont know what news you watch but I dont think any of the NEWS is reality.  Its mostly fake, contrived, bull.

21 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

You'ld have some pretty boring moments while the cowboys reload

No we would be yelling at the characters on the screen to stop wasting ammo. The one that listened could easily dispach his/her foes while they were busy reloading. :lol: :lol:

LoopHole LaRue....

You made me spew all over the screen when I read the topic. :D:D

Realism and Hollywood. Those two words will never be in the same sentence much less the same paragraph.

1 hour ago, Home Range said:

I agree with the rest but...  I dont know what news you watch but I dont think any of the NEWS is reality.  Its mostly fake, contrived, bull.

Absolutely! News today is driven by ideology and entertainment. 

I just saw "Winchester '73" on T.V. for the umpteenth time. But my wife called me for dinner, so I missed the very last part, right after Lyn shot Mathew off the cliff!  You didn't see the "1-of-1000" falling with him. So what happened to the rifle? As many times as I've seen the movie, including when it originally came out, I CRS on that point! Somebody please re-enlighten me.

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Counterpoint: The stupidity and unrealistic portrayals of those in Hollywood have resulted in many of the laws and misconceptions people have today regarding guns and actual historical events.

I am not arguing, just bringing up a point. Some of my favorite movies are totally unrealistic. Tombstone, Open Range (more realistic than many) Quigley, Nearly every John Wayne movie...I could go on for hours on this and not only on Westerns. 

As Doc said:

Open Range was pretty accurate. Charlie Waite was shown reloading his guns. The blast from both barrels of Boss Spearman's shotgun may have been a little overplayed but both barrels at once had to hurt! :o

Why Quigley Down Under??? :mellow:

Herb Parsons served as technical advisor on the set and not only did he ensure correct firearms handling, he used his shooting skills to make Jimmy Stewart look like an expert marksman. Off camera, Parsons stood next to Stewart with this Winchester Model 71 Lever action and conducted the actual shooting.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/gun-week-herb-parsons’s-winchester-model-71-lever-action-rifle

2 hours ago, Seldom Seen #16162 said:

Open Range was pretty accurate. Charlie Waite was shown reloading his guns. The blast from both barrels of Boss Spearman's shotgun may have been a little overplayed but both barrels at once had to hurt! :o

Fantasy...

What I should have said was far fetched. Highly entertaining and I love that movie but it was downright far fetched.

Howdy,

Once I was at an event that played out over a few days.

Then on the news the events were reported and something that happened

on Thursday was said to have caused something that happened the previous Tuesday.

Absolutely impossible.

I never really trust the news after that.

Best

CR

On 4/1/2017 at 5:08 PM, Seldom Seen #16162 said:

because he shot that thing almost as fast as a winchester. And one generally can't shoot a Sharps accurately at 1,000 yards unsupported. Kinda like Charles Bronson in "Magnificent Seven".  "I was aiming for his horse" -- a pistol shot at what, 500 yards?  :o:)

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

because he shot that thing almost as fast as a winchester. And one generally can't shoot a Sharps accurately at 1,000 yards unsupported. Kinda like Charles Bronson in "Magnificent Seven".  "I was aiming for his horse" -- a pistol shot at what, 500 yards?  :o:)

I think you meant James Coburn

Broken ribs...

After a fight in which both participants absorb enough kicks and haymakers to kill them, the doctor says, "You're lucky it's just some broken ribs."  And then they continue to do things like run and tumble and fight like nothing happened.

I've had broken ribs.  It is agonizing to breathe, sit down, stand up, get into a car, get out of a car,  and if you cough or sneeze you will be in tears.

If movies were realistic broken ribs would get more respect. 

I may may make another post later about broken kneecaps.

I do find it annoying when lead or copper jacketed bullets create sparks when impacting anything. I know they are not shooting real bullets but are using small explosive charges to indicate where bullets impact, but come on.

Also when any type of firearm is fired anywhere near a vehicle it causes an explosion of epic magnitude.

My wife and I were absolutely amazed by something we saw on a Cheyenne re-run we

were watching a few nights ago.  Cheyenne was accused of shooting someone and the sheriff took his revolver and opened it to reveal and empty chamber.  Cheyenne said to him that it is typical to load only 5 and to rest the hammer on the empty chamber in order to avoid an accidental discharge if dropped.

Of course, in typical Hollywood fashion it wasn't pointed out that the chamber was empty and as such did not have an empty brass in it.  Apparently when you shoot one of the Hollywood guns everything leaves the chamber--bullet, brass and all. 

On 4/1/2017 at 8:39 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

As Doc said:

I agree with this.

Since we no longer live in a society where the vast majority grows up with guns in the house, being taught/trained on how to responsibly use/handle guns, many people take what they see in movies and TV shows as 'real' when it comes to guns and their capabilities.

Sadly we have a political movement that through either sheer ignorance and the desire not to educate themselves or the motive to disarm all law-abiding citizens, makes use of the Hollywood misinformation to advance their political agenda.

1 hour ago, Lost Trail said:

I agree with this.

Since we no longer live in a society where the vast majority grows up with guns in the house, being taught/trained on how to responsibly use/handle guns, many people take what they see in movies and TV shows as 'real' when it comes to guns and their capabilities.

Sadly we have a political movement that through either sheer ignorance and the desire not to educate themselves or the motive to disarm all law-abiding citizens, makes use of the Hollywood misinformation to advance their political agenda.

A retired police chief friend of mine said people really do expect an officer to shoot a gun out of the perp's hand.

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Broken ribs...

After a fight in which both participants absorb enough kicks and haymakers to kill them, the doctor says, "You're lucky it's just some broken ribs."  And then they continue to do things like run and tumble and fight like nothing happened.

I've had broken ribs.  It is agonizing to breathe, sit down, stand up, get into a car, get out of a car,  and if you cough or sneeze you will be in tears.

Agreed!

Another is all the Rocky movies. He'd have been dead in the first round if he'd really taken those blows to the head.

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Broken ribs...

Amen!  Testify, Brother.  I broke a rib at work about two years back and could barely walk, sit up, sit down, lie down or sleep.  The company "doctor" watched me as I grimaced in pain walking into the exam room and as I needed assistance to lie down then get back up for the x-ray.  THEN he cleared me to return to work!  Idiot!

I like to laugh and kid around, but that was a real pain with the cracked rib.  It hurt when I laughed, which made me laugh.  :o  No watching comedies for me.

Angus

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Broken ribs...

I agree, I have broken ribs multiple times as well and it's no fun at all and you aren't doing anything fast for days afterwards...or weeks, even.

One thing that sets me free is when every time a guy, bad or good, makes a motion with their handgun you here a cocking noise, Even on Glocks.

Another is racking the slide on a shotgun multiple times for effect.

I remember a shooting that occurred in Sacramento where a witness told the radio newscaster that they were surprised the bad guy's gun fired because he never cocked it.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One thing that sets me free is when every time a guy, bad or good, makes a motion with their handgun you here a cocking noise, Even on Glocks.

Another is racking the slide on a shotgun multiple times for effect.

I remember a shooting that occurred in Sacramento where a witness told the radio newscaster that they were surprised the bad guy's gun fired because he never cocked it.

If you hear me racking my shotgun or 1911, here are the reasons: 1) I've shot one round from the shotgun already and I'm preparing the next; 2) I've just loaded a fresh magazine into my 1911 because I just emptied the previous magazine. Locked and cocked is the only way I ride.

Archived