SASS Wire Forum

Hammer spring strength for Ruger Old Army

Marshal Fire, SASS 10064

If this has been run around forgive me as I don t recall it.

The hammer on a Ruger Old Army needs sufficient strength to cause the cap to fire. The factory spring on the gun works fine of course but for repeated firing can really fatigue the thumb muscles.

I am sure that there are ways to get reliable ignition using several combinations, various brands of caps, action work by a good smith, replacement of the factory nipples and even just keeping the gun clean and oiled.

just interested to hear what others have found is successful and if they have been able to replace the hammer spring and get good results.

Best regards

ASSUMING you have done all the things mentioned in your post you can usually install this spring and get reliable ignition.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/spring-kits/rsa-108-spring-kit-for-old-army-old-model-ruger-single-action-prod26253.aspx

On an ROA the base pin spring mentioned in the ad is not used.

"Eagle River!"   Which movie is this a a quote from?

yes sir the brownells rsa -108 kit is what you need.

the kit's hammer spring will be too long.  I will leave your best judgement to trim to the correct length.  I've done four with great success and very happy with the pistols.

i went from a pair of Jimmy Spur's NM Vaqueros to ROAs w/personal spring trimming,  The RSA-108 kit will help and give consistent cap ignition based upon your gunsmithing skills.

welcome to the wonderful world of c&b!

My ROAs wear 17# springs and have never failed to fire.

11 hours ago, Noz said:

My ROAs wear 17# springs and have never failed to fire.

This has worked for me also. With Rem#10caps & Tresso or Slix cones, you will be a happy camper.

When I acquired my old armies wes flowers was working on a well known frontiersman guns. I asked him a similar question what springs to use he said if I wanted reliable detonation keep the factory springs.  So I replace five of the six nipples with tresso nipples on each gun I used Remington no ten caps religiously, seating the manually with a tip of an antler as long as I dried the bores before use the first time of the day loaded them correctly seated the ball completely and wiped down the hammer and cylinder between stages it wasn't any harder than my cartridge guns or any less reliable.

i removed the seating ram from the loading rod on the gun that way if the lever fell down it wouldn't jam the cylinder and it wasn't being used any way.

Gentlemen thanks you for the comments. It would seem that a well tuned and maintained Ruger Old Army can function reliably with a 17 pound hammer spring. The original strength springs torment my hand after shooting several stages so I will experiment and see what I can do. Shooting duelist with the weight of the gun and the full strength spring seems to have it limits for me. At winter range I tried some 36 caliber 5.5 inch navy that Long hunter had and was very impressed with the smoothness and over all operation. Several have suggested that they tried 36 cal. But ran into to many occasions where spotters had difficulty calling 

hits. Between the concussion of the cap and powder and the light weight ball even a diligent spotter can make an error. But I am enjoying the challenge of C&B shooting. Plan to also try some 1860 army's for fun.

Still shooting snow banks up here in northern Wisconsin but spring promises to show, sometime.

Regards

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2017 at 0:34 AM, Tucker McNeely said:

"Eagle River!"   Which movie is this a a quote from?

yes sir the brownells rsa -108 kit is what you need.

the kit's hammer spring will be too long.  I will leave your best judgement to trim to the correct length.  I've done four with great success and very happy with the pistols.

i went from a pair of Jimmy Spur's NM Vaqueros to ROAs w/personal spring trimming,  The RSA-108 kit will help and give consistent cap ignition based upon your gunsmithing skills.

welcome to the wonderful world of c&b!

Well after problems at Land Run and the Kansas State BP match, I have returned the stock springs.  :angry: Maybe more testing at a later date.

I'm happy to hear that so many of you have had good luck with the 17# springs.  I for one have not found them to be that reliable.  I use the 19# and have added a 1/4" washer under them for a little added boost even with Tresso nipples.  I shoot Frontiersman pretty much all the time and there is nothing worse than a FTF.  Its bad enough when you get a bad cap but I think its prudent to sacrifice a pound or two of hammer pull to ensure 100% ignition.   The old stand by of factory springs with exactly 1 1/2 coils cut off always worked for me as well

MHO

Chili 

On 4/1/2017 at 0:03 PM, Billy the Avenger said:

I have 19 lbs in mine with slix nips

100% 

Billy the Avenger 

Yep same hear Billy..work great ,now just going to heat up the hammers & just bend back a little to level out a bit for the thumb..just 'luv' ROA's.!!

I would build up the hand muscles and leave the springs alone.  Back when West Fargo was among us I asked the question on what spring to use in my roas and he said leave the factory ones in.

Archived