SASS Wire Forum

Rat Patrol

Trigger Mike

being unable to rest I watched Rat Patrol S2 Ep 1 on youtube.  I always liked the show but this episode left me disappointed.  A Rat Patrol member is shot between the heart and shoulder by a German with a 8mm Mauser.  it leaves a small red dot and torn shirt.  the dot is the size of a dime maybe.  He then gets up and mans the 50 caliber machine gun.  later while firing the machine gun he pulls the grenade pin with his teeth and throws it as if unhurt.  

the last 8mm wound I saw made a hole the size larger than my hand.  there would be no getting up nor firing nor climbing into a jeep etc.  I felt that could have been done better.

It's called "artistic license"...where I grew up it was called Bull Sh...uh, BS...

I know what you mean, Trigger Mike. Kind of annoying. I loved that show when I was a kid and the I saw a couple episodes a few years ago and I was so disappointed. But that's definitely not the only show to take liberties with reality by a long shot.

I guess when you're young and naive you just don't know any better and the shows and movies seem awesome. 

What drives me nuts is when you see a guy in a show get shot in the shoulder and the next day (in the flick) he's moving around like nothing happened. Or how about every time the main character gets shot it's flesh wound or it's in the abdomen just above the hip...and it's a "through and through" whatever the hell that means.

I'll stop here. I could go on all night about this.

i wil say the most realistic gun fight I ever saw on film was the big scene in Reservior Dogs. That was a great scene. 

I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt.  At one point during WWII, the Axis began using steel bullets.  They decided it was more costly to the enemy to doctor and nurse a wounded soldier than it was to bury one!  I'm not sure of the dates but it happened.

Yeah I've heard that a wounded soldier requires the equivalent resources of two other people to care for him and keep him alive.

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It's called "artistic license"...where I grew up it was called Bull Sh...uh, BS...

...I will say the most realistic gun fight I ever saw on film was the big scene in Reservior Dogs. That was a great scene. 

:D

Ever see the movie 'Way of the Gun'? Great gunfight scenes in that one too.

17 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

the last 8mm wound I saw made a hole the size larger than my hand.  there would be no getting up nor firing nor climbing into a jeep etc.  I felt that could have been done better.

TM, was that wound the result of an expanding hunting type bullet, rather than a military full metal jacket?

About forty-some years ago I was hunting with a knotheaded buddy who for some reason - and unknown to me at the time - grabbed a handful of surplus military ammo instead of his hunting stuff (he was shooting a sportered Enfield). 

Sure 'nuff, he shoots a buck. Uphill shot, buck falls over and literally rolls down the steep slope and ends up almost at said knothead's feet. Still very much alive, he's quickly dispatched with a coup de grâce shot.

I offered to help him dress the deer, and discovered that the first shot was a through-and-through to the chest. Remarkably, it had entered and exited without striking ribs. And left only a pencil-sized hole at both entrance and exit.  

By the way, I found new hunting partners.

One of many classics is the "arrow-through-the-shoulder" where the hero then pulls the arrow all the way through.  Ouch. Just a grimace and gritting of teeth for a moment. In reality, that means the arrow penetrated a lot of bone.

But, that's why it's called "Hollyweird". :)

I have an acquaintance who was present when one WWII re-enactor shot another from a distance with a .303.

It too made a nice hole in and out, but there was some serious damage surrounding those two little holes. The funny part is there was a bystander who was more concerned about the paramedics cutting off the original uniform than a man being shot!

i think it was an 8mm hunting round. but still being familiar with a shoulder wound i do not think even with a pencil size hole he could climb into the back of a jeep, grab the 50 cal machine gun with both hands and with both hands control its fire with accuracy and then while holding it with the wounded arm, pull a grenade with the other and pull the pin with his teeth and throw it accurately.  

the other day I watched the first episode.  in it they are setting demolition charges and park their jeep right by the area they are blowing up and run out away from the jeep with the detonator cord while under fire from the germans and blow it up and leave their jeep, machine guns and all and crowd the other jeep.  

as i kid i loved the show.  after being in the army it all looks so silly.  i hate growing up.  it ruined all the heroes and fun i once had

I've got an 8 mm, and I would NOT care to get hit in the shoulder by one, even with hardball. One of my loading manuals has an account on the 8 mm, guy that wrote it said anyone thinks an 8mm is a popgun never dodged bullets from one, and talked about an Me 109 strafing him as he ran across the deck of a ship. I found some old WW I era 100 year old ammo at a gun show. I had only fired R-P factory loads at the time, and the 8mm just kinda seemed like a stout .30/30. First one of those puppies I fired like to kicked me off my stool! That was some HOT stuff! I guess it stands to reason that if it was a piece of junk the Germans would not have fought two world wars with it.

JHC

This "Hollyweird" business of the shoulder wound being "no big thang" is absolute, pure, unadulterated BS!  People don't realize just how high in the chest the lung rises. Even if a bullet misses the lung, there is the brachial artery and a bunch of other large blood vessels in the area! About the only reason that someone shot the way the troop in the shoulder like that could get up and do all that stuff, is if he was in such shock that he didn't realize he'd been seriously injured!  And if he was losing blood at quite a fast rate, he'd probably pass out shortly! :(

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

This "Hollyweird" business of the shoulder wound being "no big thang" is absolute, pure, unadulterated BS!  People don't realize just how high in the chest the lung rises. Even if a bullet misses the lung, there is the brachial artery and a bunch of other large blood vessels in the area! About the only reason that someone shot the way the troop in the shoulder like that could get up and do all that stuff, is if he was in such shock that he didn't realize he'd been seriously injured!  And if he was losing blood at quite a fast rate, he'd probably pass out shortly! :(

....or if he was Audie Murphy. ;)

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Not to mention lots of bones, esp. the scapula in the back. You get hit by an 8x57 in the shoulder it's gonna be a bit more extensive than a "flesh wound"!

To kinda get back on topic, I LOVED Rat Patrol when I was a kid. Haven't seen it in a hunnert years. I'm sure it would be pretty cheesy now. When I was a button I sure did want a Jeep with a machine gun!

JHC

Capt Callahan I used to acquire every toy or model jeep with a machine gun in the back i could find and could talk my parents into letting me have just because of rat patrol.  I recall Hotwheels put one out.  great stuff

Kevin Costner gets hit it the center of the chest with a M14 7.62x51 round at the end of A Perfect World.  About a quarter size spot of blood while he sits up and talks to Tommy Lee Jones for three minutes.  They never show his back.

At the list, this hit would have broken sternum and some ribs, and done major hydrostatic damage including lungs.

Not that I want to see blood and gore, but Hollywood is pitiful.

Archived