SASS Wire Forum

1917 enfield vs 03a3?

evil dogooder

Which do you prefer? Today i found that i now own a sporterized version of both.  The 03 with a 1.5-4 weaver and the enfield with a fancy lyman peep site.

A little background. Im outfitting my brother and his  sons with rifles for our yearly elk hunt.  Hes a high school teacher with no extra cash. I don't have much either so it's been well used guns and two ruger americans that i bought by selling my back up sass guns.    My nephews get the rugers because they are milder recoiling and lighter.  I am leaning to the enfield. But that's mainly because my brother can't shoot irons worth a hoot.   

So to the highly intelligent saloon. Which is the better gun?

Yes they are both 30-06.  I was going to give him the one that kicked harder to get ever for all those beatings growing up, dang older brother s, but this meat is what both our families eat all year, so it's not the time for petty revenge

I had both in the military versions.  Both shot well for what they are, i.e. military rifles.  If they're zeroed in to normal distances, 100-300 yds they'll both do OK.  As I remember, the Enfield didn't have windage adjustment on the rear sight so that the front sight had to be drifted.  If your brother isn't a good shot, the 03 would probably be a better rifle for him. 

the 03 will kick more and is lighter but i prefer the 1917.  using normal sights i found the 1917 more accurate once i drifted the front sight and adjusted for windage on my own as needed and raised the rear sight and adjusted for the yardage.  but the weaver is a good scope and i have hunted with a weaver on an 03 and done well.  i prefer the 1917 when target shooting.  mine are not sporterized so that might effect things.  

I owned a 1917 and have shot the 03. I liked them both but I really can't say which would be better. I would say the reason I bought the Enfield over the 03a3 was the 1917 had a really beefy extractor but that was about it. I shot mine with iron sights because I could not bring myself to drill holes in the top of the receiver with the scroll marks. I do believe I liked the 03 trigger better but it could have just been a better trigger not necessarily a better trigger design. The weight of the Enfield did help with recoil.

That Enfield was the only bolt action that I truly liked. I really don't care for bolt action rifles at all.

I shot a 1917 Eddystone Enfield years ago.  Decent gun that did not stabilize boattail bullets.

The 1917 and the 03A3 are two different guns that may require two different loads for optimal shooting.

I have several of both, both sporterized and stock military. I prefer the Springfield because the bolt cocks on the upswing, while the Enfield cocks on closing the bolt. I think the Springfield is a little quicker cycling the bolt. I also believe the Enfield is a little stronger. I have friends who have built Enfield actions into .308 Norma Mag and .375 H & H mag.

In today world, you don't see anyone sporterizing military bolt actions, way too expensive now. Back in the 50's your could built a wonderful sporterized military rifle for less than a new factory rifle.

I had a chance to pick up a sporterized Springfield 03 about 15 years ago. The guy hacked the job, when he did it, so I passed. Then a few years later one of my uncles passed away. He had 2 03-A3's and had said in his will I could pick one of them. One  Smith Corona ( I think) and a Remington. I chose the Remington. It has 1943 markings on it, but I don't think it was ever issued. Too nice of shape. It is a very accurate rifle at 200 yards if you find the ammo it likes. Mine LOVES the Hornady 165 SST's. Quarter size 3 round groups at 100 and about a half dollar to $1.00 size at 200. But that's my fault, not the rifle's.

I have two sporterized 03-A3s and one sporterized P-14 Enfield.  I killed my first two elk with one of them, as well as a lot of deer and antelope. 

I would not hesitate to hunt elk with any of the three, if I were to use a 30-06 on elk again. 

If he has trouble with a peep sight, he needs to use the scoped rifle.

Duffield

14 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Didn't Alvin York use an Enfield?

I believe he used both.

I have a virtual 1917. I like it a lot.

If it were real, it would do all that I would want.

Can't comment on the 03.

21 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Didn't Alvin York use an Enfield?

They still argue about that.  I read in one of the gun mags a while back that his outfit was issued Enfields, and he picked up or traded for a Springfield.

PS:  I'd like to have one of each.  I have seven bolt action battle rifles from all over, but none of ours.  :)

My brother is a very good shot.  My dad would have disowned us if we couldn't shoot.  However he is dismal at best with a peep.  Neither of us can stand the dang things. But it's what we have.  I've used irons out past 1000 before but never with a peep.    

I haven't shot the 1917 yet. Its an eddystone if that makes any difference. The 03 I'm comfortable with out to 500 after that id use one of the rugers as they have much better glass.

Thanks guys that's the info i was looking for

Most people over-think a peep sight.  

To use it effectively, just look through the danged thing and put the front sight where you want the bullet to land. 

Your eye will take care of aligning the sights automatically. 

You can even take the disc out and use the hole it screws into as a ghost ring and be right on for deer or elk as far as you ought to shoot them with a 30-06.

Duffield

32 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Most people over-think a peep sight.  

To use it effectively, just look through the danged thing and put the front sight where you want the bullet to land. 

Your eye will take care of aligning the sights automatically. 

You can even take the disc out and use the hole it screws into as a ghost ring and be right on for deer or elk as far as you ought to shoot them with a 30-06.

Duffield

I'm one of those that overthink a peep. However, I am getting better with them since I put a reciever sight on a couple of old Savage 99s and tang sights on some old Marlins.

Sporterized military rifles depress me.

43 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Sporterized military rifles depress me.

Everyone did it back in the 50"s, I have 3 of them. I still hunt with one.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

They still argue about that.  I read in one of the gun mags a while back that his outfit was issued Enfields, and he picked up or traded for a Springfield.

PS:  I'd like to have one of each.  I have seven bolt action battle rifles from all over, but none of ours.  :)

Yes.  According to his son, York's outfit had Springfields in the States. When they went overseas, they were issued Enfields.  But York somehow got ahold of another Springfield and used it for his heroic exploits

Sporterizing an 03......

Polish action/barrel, blue job, new trigger/safety, new floor plate if it's an 03A3, alter bolt to clear scope, drill/tap for scope and new stock.

Back in the 50's would cost about 150.00.

I have seen some very high quality sporterized Springfields, Enfields and Mausers. Swords into plowshares so to speak.

Still........:(

At local gunshow, I ran into a "bubba" who was looking for a "German Mauser" to build a custom bench rifle. I asked why did he not pick up one of the various sporterized ones around the show. He replied that he wanted to do all of the work himself to insure it was doing correctly.  So there are still gun butchering morons among us.

Edited to add: there was also guy trying to sell a very badly sporterized 1898 Krag for $3000. Said the gunsmith at Springfield told him it was made in 1890 and the rarest one ever. I asked when he called Springfield and he said "just last week!"

to me a sporterized anything should not sell for more than 200 and thats being generous.  I can see taking worn out rifles and replacing the worn parts with new barrels etc but still must keep it like it was issued.  nothing on this earth is uglier to me than a rifle sporterized , every time i see one i try to figure out how much it'd take to make it like it originally was.  

As having changed the virtual appearance of the virtual 1917, I can state that it is not about the

money, or virtual money in my case. I has served it's purpose and that is the end of the tale.

I know that the design is not of this country, but it is a good design. Only short fall that I can see

is the rear sight has some issues.

I got word from a friend that a lady in town had a Japanese rifle she was looking to sell. "Original condition". I paid her a visit and looked at the Bubba job on a type 99 Arisaka, and returned home disappointed. :(

Speaking of disappointment, my Uncle returned from the Pacific with a samuri sword, a dress sword,

and a Arisaka rifle. He was with the Army fighting in the Philippines and at Okinawa.

Alas, They were all sacrificed to appease the demons that plagued him.

I did get to see them and touch them. They made a big impression on an 9 year boy.

Archived