SASS Wire Forum

WTC

Morgun Play

Assume that pistols are the first firearm shot.  The shooter has a squib in one of the first four rounds, but has already cocked the hammer before he can stop.  Is the only option to ask the TO for permission to de-cock then index the cylinder to an empty or fired chamber before grounding the gun?  Can a cocked revolver be handed off to the TO?  I'm thinking no, so if there is only the first option before continuing on with the other firearms it's just a case of sad to be you?

Shooter should get permission to decock, then ground pistol. There are no penalties applied to declared broken gun when grounded, regardless of position of live rounds.

Since no one else has, I'll take a stab at it...

Handing off a cocked loaded revolver is not an option unless it is broken to the point where it can't be decocked.

The safest method is as you described, de-cock under TO supervision, index to empty chamber or fired round and then ground it or hand it off.

What I've seen happen is the squib or malfunction is called, revolver is decocked and handed off with the possibility of a live round under the lowered hammer.  Not the very safest, but much safer than a cocked pistol.

Thankfully a squib is not a common occurrence.

Several things I try to remember when taking a handed off pistol is muzzle direction obviously, but also where I am holding it.  I've seen folks grab the pistol over the top strap with hand around the cylinder and frame.  In the unlikely event of a round going off, their hand is gonna get burned in the cyl to barrel gap.

It is no longer recommended to hand/pass-off a "broken" or "squibbed" gun directly to the TO. It's much better for the shooter himself to ground the gun on a prop or staging platform that should provided at (or close to) each shooting position.  Ground the revolver cocked if you have to, or ask the TO if you are allowed to decock it before setting it on a safe platform.   This is the fastest and least impact thing for the shooter to do.  Then he can continue shooting with the next gun.  

Watch muzzle direction so that gun will be safe if there is any downrange movement still to come.   Be sure your stage workers stay out from in front of the staged gun, too.

But, if you absolutely MUST hand off a cocked revolver to a person, it is safer to decock it (after getting permission from TO to decock).  GD covered most of the concerns about this already.   Be aware that if you only decock the hammer and don't advance cylinder, you leave the hammer on a live round if you have fired any fewer than four good rounds and the squib.  That should get the shooter a Minor Safety for leaving hammer down on a live round, as well as any rounds not fired time-additions.

The rules don't cover this in detail (thank goodness - rulebook would be real big).  Number 1, though - be SAFE with what you are doing.  It's only going to be "a call" if unsafe gun handling or shooter movement happens after the malfunction occurs. 

There will be the need to determine rounds-not-fired count, to be added to any of the shooter's misses for the stage.   Lots of TO's like to have the faulty gun unloaded at the firing line after a squib call so they themselves can be sure of the rounds-not-fired count and a possible hammer-down-on-live-round problem.  Otherwise, a designated stage worker will safely carry the faulty gun to the unloading table for unloading and clearing of the problem. 

Good luck, GJ

As for "what other options"?   After getting the squibbed revolver safely staged, you can use your other revolver to fire the rounds that you did not get to fire with the squibbed gun.   If your good gun has been fired already, punch out enough cases on the line, reload cylinder to get to the total round count you need, and finish up your revolver targets.   If it has not yet been fired, fire it normally and reload after that.   It takes time, but if the shooter really wants a clean stage, for example, perhaps it is worth it.    Don't forget to continue following the sequence of targets if the instructions laid out a target sequence.

Good luck, GJ 

Archived