SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron 1897 shotgun

Houston CAS

There was a vendor at Trailhead that had a new Cimarron 1897 shotgun. Price was good. How are these clones? Cimarron has nothing on their website on them.  I know they used to sell them but stopped for a while.

7 minutes ago, Lefty Wheeler said:

Thanks! That link doesn't show when I click on the shotgun menus. Only when I search for 1897.

Same 1897 copies that IAC has been importing.   If you want better deal and support, contact Outlaw Gambler.

Good luck, GJ

OK, I stand corrected.  They are Polytech company products, also from China, but Polytech just does not have a great reputation with any of their firearms.  Run Away!

Stick with the ones imported by IAC would be my recommendation - such as sold by Barleycorn and Gambler and Coyote Cap.

Don't take this post wrong. As I sell the original and IAC 97's it may sound as if I am posting negative remarks to further the sale of my guns. That is not my intent. Too hard to hold back comments when a shooter might lay down good money for a bad gun.

The guns that Cimarron sell were originally PolyTech guns. The name Poly Tech was on the side of the barrel. They were very nice looking but terrible built in problems. Cimarron bought the PolyTech inventory, the guns were shipped back to China and the name PolyTech was removed and restamped Cimarron and sent to Cimarron. The guns sold by Cimarron started coming back to Cimarron due to the problems causing the action to not function properly.

Cimarron contracted with a very good 97 gunsmith, who will remain unnamed, to make the repair. At this time it was believed to be only a one item fix. A pallet load of these guns were sent to the gun smith and he started making the repair only to find out there were other problems with them that had not been part of the repair contract. Cimarron refused to pay the additional fee to make all of the required repairs and told the gunsmith to just ship them back to Cimarron without repairing the rest of them.

Now I don't know if Cimarron had anyone else look at them or not. But at least think about this. If they did not find anyone else to fix them and you buy one, what kind of warranty does it have and who is going to repair it. Or, are you going to send yours back for a replacement for one just like it?

OutLaw Gambler,

I don't know you, nor to my knowledge have we ever met or had any business dealings with one another.

But, I do appreciate your input and I'm glad you chimed in with this information.

I shoot a 97.  The 97 is my favorite firearm in SASS/CAS.  Heck, I don't even own a SxS.

Anyhow, THANKS for your input.

..........Widder

I owned a Cimarron for several years. It never ran like my Noricno/IAC's. The gun was nicely built, came with choke tubes. It required lots of work to become smooth, but was never a good gun. With full disclosure I sold it cheap.

Of course this is only my opinion of the Cimarron 97'.

Tully 

Thanks everyone. The price for the Cimarron 1897 was in impulse territory for me, so it was very tempting. Sounds like I need to wait for the right price on a IAC variant. 

I plan on asking around to see if I can borrow someone's 1897 at my club's next match to see how much I like doing Cowboy Action Shooting with a pump shotgun instead of a SxS like I've been using.

6 hours ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

Don't take this post wrong. As I sell the original and IAC 97's it may sound as if I am posting negative remarks to further the sale of my guns. That is not my intent. Too hard to hold back comments when a shooter might lay down good money for a bad gun.

The guns that Cimarron sell were originally PolyTech guns. The name Poly Tech was on the side of the barrel. They were very nice looking but terrible built in problems. Cimarron bought the PolyTech inventory, the guns were shipped back to China and the name PolyTech was removed and restamped Cimarron and sent to Cimarron. The guns sold by Cimarron started coming back to Cimarron due to the problems causing the action to not function properly.

Cimarron contracted with a very good 97 gunsmith, who will remain unnamed, to make the repair. At this time it was believed to be only a one item fix. A pallet load of these guns were sent to the gun smith and he started making the repair only to find out there were other problems with them that had not been part of the repair contract. Cimarron refused to pay the additional fee to make all of the required repairs and told the gunsmith to just ship them back to Cimarron without repairing the rest of them.

Now I don't know if Cimarron had anyone else look at them or not. But at least think about this. If they did not find anyone else to fix them and you buy one, what kind of warranty does it have and who is going to repair it. Or, are you going to send yours back for a replacement for one just like it?

These were the first batch of Cimarron '97's, going back some years.  I was told that they had been disassembled in China and when reassembled the parts were not put back together (like the trigger group, for instance) into the same guns they came out of, and this was part of the problems with them.   This new batch is supposed to be better and the few new ones I handled felt okay, but I don't know any more about them, and they are new enough that I'd say the jury is still out on the quality.

I am no expert but I have been shooting 97s since 96. I have several originals and several Norincos both 97s and 93/97s. The very best Chinese 97 I have is the latest CB model. Recently a vendor here on the vendor page had CBs at a very good price and that would be the one I would buy right now if I did not already have one. Hands down bar none.

2 minutes ago, Lone Dog, SASS #20401 said:

I am no expert but I have been shooting 97s since 96. I have several originals and several Norincos both 97s and 93/97s. The very best Chinese 97 I have is the latest CB model. Recently a vendor here on the vendor page had CBs at a very good price and that would be the one I would buy right now if I did not already have one. Hands down bar none.

Good info from Lone Dog.

Based on my experience with IAC's, the more recent (last 3+ years) IAC's that have the prefix serial numbers with CB seem to be of very good quality.   I own 2 of them.

But I must also admit that I have two of the 03 series and a rare 26" 04 series IAC and really like em.

By general reputation, the IAC's of the 06 and above series, and the CB,  seem to be the favorites of those who own and shoot the IAC 97's.

I don't think Outlaw Gambler is allowed to sell or advertise on this forum, BUT you might oughta visit the 'Merchants Corner' forum and contact him about one of the newer IAC  'CB' models.  

And another good reputable contact for 97's is 'Squibber'.   Don't know how you can reach his business.

..........Widder

Outlaw Gambler is a good guy .

He will take good care of you .

I have had good dealings with him myself.

I got mine few years back when only 400 were reputed to be going to be made. The CB is quite a bit cheaper now and way more than 400 have been made with no end in sight. Should have waited but I thot they would go up in price not down. Oh well my fave 97 ever of the dozen or so original and chinee that I have accumulated.

In regards to the CB having an endless supply from what I have heard is that they are hard to find.

I got some more info on the Cimarron '97's.  Regarding the first batch:  these were originally TTN and Cimarron inherited those when they bought out TTN.   Those did have some issues, as mentioned above.  Some were sent to Coyote Cap who would fix them and do an action job.  There were about a dozen of those left that had more issues and Cimarron had Cap return those instead of fixing them because they were needed for parts guns, as there were no more parts available.  A few were also sent to Squibber who fixed them up and sold them.

The newer batch look the same (soft rubber buttpad, screw-in chokes, etc) except different barrel markings.  This batch has been made in a different factory.  Several hundred have been sold so far and seem to be okay.  They can be stiff out of the box, having to push the slide forward with authority to unlock the safety, but this smooths up with a little use.  

• 3 weeks later...

Borrowed someone's Norinco (sic?) 1897 to try out at a match yesterday. I had never even shot an 1897 before, so it was fun learning how to use it on the clock!

I see an 1897 in my future.

On 3/28/2017 at 3:37 PM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Outlaw Gambler is a good guy .

He will take good care of you .

I have had good dealings with him myself.

Same here.

He helped me out when Gremlins decided to visit unexpectedly.

4 hours ago, Houston CAS said:

Borrowed someone's Norinco (sic?) 1897 to try out at a match yesterday. I had never even shot an 1897 before, so it was fun learning how to use it on the clock!

I see an 1897 in my future.

Your future looks bright...... :D

Love the '97.

..........Widder

Archived