SASS Wire Forum

Cattleman standard vs. Smoke Wagon vs. Deluxe vs.Evil Roy vs. GW II, Alchimista I, in 44-40?

Warden Callaway

I just purchased a pair of  Deluxe Smoke Wagons in 44-40 with 5.5" barrels and short stroked. Knowing I was going to Winter Range I dealt directly with Taylor's. They are a great company to deal with. 

I have a pair of Ruger Vaqueros with complete action job by Jimmy Spurs. These are so smooth it is unbelievable but they seemed a little bit too heavy for me so I decided to try a pair of Smoke Wagons.  I briefly handled them at a shoot last year and I liked them. 

While the Smoke Wagons are not as tuned as the Rugers they are "very good" in my opinion and I love the short stroke feature. The pistols shoot tight groups at 25 feet with Black Powder and are much more comfortable for me to shoot. They are exact clones of the Colt SAA's. Hard to tell apart. ( that's another story). I believe I will like them. The features of the deluxe, short stroke feature, not needing additional smith work, available in 44-40 and the value for the money were the reasons I went this way. 

55B9016E-7CDE-45A5-8F47-2F6F0F805258.jpg

0B66DEE8-2C7B-47D3-B4B5-D540C50724BC.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

What did you order?  I thought Taylor's didn't have the bbl length you're looking for.

The gun shop ordered what I wanted,  Smoke Wagon Deluxe 44-40 5.5.  It is out of stock at this time but expected in the next shipment.  Then some time to send it though custom shop for Deluxe treatment.   ETA, about a month. 

Just Mike,  that's some great shootin!.  

I don't think either of mine to be will be short stroke. As I shoot Gunfighter,  I don't know if it would help.  I would rather have Runnin' Irons hammers but will be fine with whatever comes with them. 

I'm a 60 second stage shooter anyway.   I doubt if the best guns will put me in the 20 seconds range.

• 2 weeks later...

We picked up the first Taylor's Smoke Wagon Deluxe 44-40 from the FFL guy on Thursday late.   We had a match on Saturday and needed to do a lot of range work on Friday.  As I only have the one and no time to really get familiar with it, I didn't shoot it at the match on Saturday.  Sunday was recovery day.  

But today, we invited Jackson Rose out to the range where we set up a few targets and did some shooting and a lot of visiting.   Since Jackson Rose made the long trip,  I invited him to take the first shots. 

58ebf271d6965_TaylorsSmokeWagonApril2017.jpg.72997e0692b63e30f34ddc3bde9cb262.jpg

Beautiful gun. Not a flaw in fit or finish.  Hammer and trigger pull light. But there is some creep in the trigger.  I haven't taken it apart to look at its guts. But the base pin is polished as is the bolt.  This leaves more movement in the cylinder than I've experienced with any of our other Uberti revolvers.  I've been assured this was normal in tuned guns. 

We shot about 40 rounds loaded with BlackMZ.   That's why the cylinder looks dull.  I haven't shot it on paper yet.  The wind is gusting to 30 mph right now.  It may be tomorrow before I get it out again. 

I just ordered a pair of Deluxe Smoke Wagons in 44-40 from Taylors Friday. I was told they're expecting a shipment in sometime this week and should be cataloged in and ready to ship by mid next week.

Archived