SASS Wire Forum

America's Potential Army

Dutch Wheeler

Interesting slant on AMERICA'S HUNTERS --- 
Pretty Amazing! 

A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion: 

There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin .. 
Allow me to restate that number: 600,000! 

Over the last several months, Wisconsin's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world. 

(That’s more men under arms than in Iran. More than France and Germany combined. ) 

These men, deployed to the woods of a single American state, Wisconsin, to hunt with firearms,  and NO ONE WAS KILLED. 

That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and Michigan 's 700,000 hunters, ALL OF WHOM HAVE RETURNED HOME SAFELY. 

Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world. 

And then add in the total number of hunters in the other 46 states. 
It's millions more. 

________  The point? ________

America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower! 

Hunting... it's not just a way to fill the freezer.   It's a matter of national security. 

That's why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed. 

Food for thought, when next we consider gun control , whether you agree with it or not. 

Overall it's true, so if we disregard some assumptions that hunters 
don't possess the same skills as soldiers, the question would still remain... 

What army of 2 million would want to face 30 million, 40 million, or 50 million armed citizens??? 

For the sake of our freedom, don't ever allow gun control or confiscation of guns. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!! 

If memory serves me for a change, that's one of the reasons Japan never tried to invade the US. I believe the comment by the head military commander of Japan said there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. Or something said to that effect.

Untrained armed ctizens were amazingly effective during the revolutionary war at battles like King's Mountain. In Vietnam I had a conversation with a ROK (Republic of Korea)  soldier, an Australian and a New Zealander about what soldiers in the world were the most feared by the enemy. Their opinion was the American G.I., but only if they were really pissed off.

The O'Meara Himself

During WWII, machine gunners on bomber had often been waterfowl or upland bird hunters in civilian life.  Audie Murphy was crack shot before he went into the Army.

If you want to go along with the thinking in that article. If all hunters and gun owners comprise an unofficial army think about this. Most understand camouflage, stalking, and long range shooting, and know more about their land than many experts. Essentially an army of snipers, one of the most dangerous threats to any invading force.

But don't let the anti's know that. That's scary and therefore ban-able.

2 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

If memory serves me for a change, that's one of the reasons Japan never tried to invade the US. I believe the comment by the head military commander of Japan said there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. Or something said to that effect.

That quote, allegedly by Adm Yamamoto is an urban legend.

We already have an army. And a dang good one.

11 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yup.

Invasion by a foreign army is NOT what we have to worry about.

Our concern should be the 535 politicians in D.C. and the thousands of other politicians at state and local levels. Those are the real ones to keep in front of us and NEVER turn your back on.

42 minutes ago, Lost Trail said:

Invasion by a foreign army is NOT what we have to worry about.

Our concern should be the 535 politicians in D.C. and the thousands of other politicians at state and local levels. Those are the real ones to keep in front of us and NEVER turn your back on.

Sadly, so true.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yep... even today... still the greatest that the world has ever known. 

But... at the present time (and according to Ret. four-star General Jack Keane)... now our Army is over-committed, under-manned, under-funded, has more potential event-risks and foreign threats, and is confronted with more social-engineering problems than ever.  Especially since WWII.

Sure hope they can turn the decline around.

ts

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I don't want to pee in your Cheerios but a large percentage of them are tactically incompetent.

Which still leaves a significant number to defend the homeland.

Mo, ain't you heard about that, "An Army of One"?

State-by-state 2015 license sales; almost 15,000,000 licensees.

https://wsfrprograms.fws.gov/subpages/licenseinfo/HuntingLicCertHistory20042015.pdf

But...I know a few hunters that:

• Never successfully bag any game;
  • Never leave the hunting cabin, preferring a warm stove and a bottle of Jack Daniels;
  • Couldn't hit a stationary building, let alone a moving enemy;
  • Believe that "concealment and evasion" is hiding the truth about their hunting trips from their wives.

I think I'll rely on the professionals.

LL

SASS... potential Army... is divided.  Feelin' better today... the Doc gave me some good news.  The latest, new-found, anti-biotic drug has paid off.  Ought to... I paid dearly for it.  Got to sleep now... still... hope I don't die in my sleep...

The woods are lovely dark and deep... and I have promises to keep... and miles to go... before I sleep.  And miles to go before I sleep.

Creepy... but for sure....

ts

"Potential" is the key word here.  From Miller (1939):

The signification attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males (now we would say "Persons") physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense.

In theory if there is a crisis the government can send out officers fresh out of the Academy (and pray they have seasoned senior non-coms with them) to tap shoulders and say "Congratulations, you just volunteered."  

More from the same decision:

And further, that ordinarily, when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.

(an aside, a strict reading of Miller could mean that only current military arms are protected)

Gone are the days when recruits could join and be trained as the army marched to the fighting.  Or, a very short training camp followed by more instruction on the march.  

But, even a tithe of the number of hunters "physically (and mentally) capable of acting in concert for the common defense," and not just cannon fodder, would be a fair sized army.  Of course, if it came to that last ditch defense, I suspect that we would go Uncle Joe and try to smother the enemy by burying him in our dead bodies.

One of our greatest defense against invasion is our position.  Pacific Ocean to the west, Canada to the north, Atlantic Ocean to the east, Gulf of Mexico to a good section of the south, and Mexico covering the rest of the south.  It would be very difficult for anyone to put a significant number (tens of thousands) of boots on the ground here.   

How will we recognize the enemy unless they wear uniforms with their country flags visibly displayed?

Will they look like a Russian.....who look exactly like US.

Will they look like a Chinese.....who look exactly like the guy who owns my favorite Chinese restaurant.

Will they look like a Mexican.....who look exactly like one of my neighbors.

Maybe they will look like they are from India....... who look just like my doctor.

Will they be wearing a Turbin...... just like Abdul my co-worker and trusted friend.

If the US mainland is ever attached, WE may feel like we can defend against our enemies..... but we'll have one heck of a time identifying them first..... and then it may be too late.

But they won't have any problems identifying us.   Most will be wearing blaze orange, dictated by their State hunting laws... :o

..........Widder

LOL!

Those states' hunting statistics made me curious about how many hunting licenses were issued in CA in 2016. Those states are light in that department, as CA had 2,114,679 licenses issued in 2016! (Statistic from CA Dept. of Fish and Game.)

We have the West coast covered!

On 3/24/2017 at 8:13 AM, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

How will we recognize the enemy unless they wear uniforms with their country flags visibly displayed.

..........Widder

Quite possibly they will be wearing blue helmets.

I'm more worried about being killed by a drunk driver than foreign invaders or terrorists. :D

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:40 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

LOL!

Those states' hunting statistics made me curious about how many hunting licenses were issued in CA in 2016. Those states are light in that department, as CA had 2,114,679 licenses issued in 2016! (Statistic from CA Dept. of Fish and Game.)

We have the West coast covered!

Unfortunately, Ms. Mo, that number is for the total number of licenses, drawing applications and tags sold, NOT the number of resident hunters.  The number of CA resident hunters is probably closer to the number of basic state resident hunting licenses sold - 270,000.  The number inflates from there, adding out-of-state hunters, tags for various types of game and drawing applications.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=59821&inline

LL

Archived