SASS Wire Forum

Light rust removal

Yusta B.

I developed some light rust on the front & rear of grip frames on a pair of blued single sixes. For grins I tried a little JB Bore Paste on a rag. It removed the rust with no apparent effect on the blueing. YMMV

On flat surfaces I've used a plain ol' copper penny lubed with RemOil, with good results...   I prefer "bronze" wool to any steel wool.  Again, lubed with oil. 

Many single sixes have a powdercoat-like finish on the grip frames.  They are not blued or black oxide coated.

I would recommend testing your process in an area that will be under the grips.  Any kind of metal wool will scratch the powdercoat.

4 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

My only question is how do you distinguish between light rust and dark rust, and is one worse that the other?

Light rust makes up 11.3% of the atmosphere. Dark rust comes from dark matter, 49% of the universe.

:D:D:D

I always thot that the substance you call rust was a factory installed grip enhancer....   or camoflage,,,  

Thanks Yusta B. I am always look for neat tricks for solving problems. :D

I had a revolver prone to rusting on the grip I rubbed it down with Nev'r-Dull as Church Key mentioned and that also worked but I took it one step further. I used "Turtle Wax" car

wax /  polish on it afterwards. That seemed to help. I do the same with levers before wrapping with leather...the wax, not the Nev'r-Dull...

10 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Copper wool is my first choice.   If you use the penny trick, make sure it's a copper penny.  I think after 83 they started making them out of some mystery metal. 

ZINC, fergorshsakes!:angry:

6 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

My only question is how do you distinguish between light rust and dark rust, and is one worse that the other?

It could be he meant light rust vs heavy rust.  You could use a postal scale to tell which it is.  ;)

Archived