SASS Wire Forum

Black Powder Recommendation

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

16 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Oh, I don't really believe that the BP categories will actually go away. I've long wanted a different system of making categories. On a smaller venue I can agree with you, but when you are spending upwards of $2K to attend a match that is based on competition and awards Big titles to the victors, it becomes more important. It becomes more than just a bunch of folks playing the game and having an afternoon of fun. In fact, it has moved so much in that direction that the Game is not even played any more at the Big Matches.... It is a pure Shooting Competition. I enjoy playing the Game, and we do it on the local level and it really doesn't matter who wins... we are having a fun time. But when you break down the Smokeless categories at the Big Competition matches to the point that every age group has a category and you don't do it for the BP shooters, then why even offer up a Big Title... it is a fallacy to do so. IMO mixing the kids with their grandfathers and calling it a competition is just not a real competition. They should just drop the pretense and call it an exhibition category, because thats all it is. IMO, it is the competition that puts the zest into the Big Game, so I'll shoot in the Elderstatesman Smokeless category and get my butt kicked by a bunch of Old Farts like me. At least we will all be dealing with many of the same ravages of Old Age.

I definitely see your point. Couldn't the same be said about the bp categories and calibers? Try as I may, while shooting FCGF, I'm always beaten by the 38 shooters. I'm usually beaten by 45 shooters too, but always by the 38 shooters. In the smokeless categories one can still download 45 to near 38 levels, but much more difficult to do so with BP 

Subs or real black, I shoot whatever's cheapest. When Goex Pinnacle was disco'd, I bought 4 cases cuz it was far and away the cheapest stuff around then. Most recently, I bought 2 cases of KIK 1 1/2 from powderinc @ $14.40/pound in case lots. I'd rather it was 2fg or 3fg, but I've used 1 1/2 in .38-40, .44-40, .45 Schofield, and .45 Colt with acceptable results in the past, and 1fg or 1 1/2fg is perfect for shotshells.

23 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy Snakebite

I bought my first BP Cap & Ball revolver in 1968 when I was just a kid. I must admit my contact with Black Powder waned for many years until I started shooting CAS around 2000.

In these parts, I think I have noticed a slight uptick in BP shooters. Seems to be a few more every year.

Of course, I do not give a hoot how fast I shoot or whether or not I am going to win anything, so I don't really care if we have age based BP categories. I don't care if I am shooting against 18 year olds, besides, they don't know much about how devious old guys can be really be. Having age based BP categories would probably make things more complicated than they are now.

Anyway, even if the BP categories should go away, I will continue shooting Black Powder in a Smokeless category simply because it is so cool.

+ 1000 I like to shoot a "CLEAN" match with REAL BP.

So cool to shoot the real stuff! Nothing compares , cept maybe BP in Cannons! FLAMES,SMOKE, And BOOM.

All the WAY !!!!!!!!!!!

Shot a Clean Match ,,, Shooting FCD ,,, Folks called it a "Smokie No Miss Match ,But certainly Not Clean"...

But I love the smoke and Boom AND the Ribbing I take from my Pards ...

Jabez Cowboy

What Driftwood has shown with the disassembled Colt is what I try to get folks to understand about BP.  Some are plum scared of BP because of rumor and innuendo:angry:

Unless you're obsessive-compulsive about cleaning guns or show your guns to a retired gunny for inspection you do not have to get every speck of crud off the gun.  Any type of water-based cleaner will dissolve the salts.  Being out west I can let the guns go for days without worry.

KIK was a great powder and there appears to be some 1 1/2 F left but there will be no more.  The KIK story was here in another thread.

I went back to Goex for CAS distances and Swiss for when I have a hard time seeing the target so far away.

Have not been able to shoot matches for a couple years do to health ( can't see good enough) but still shoot black almost everyday.  I;ll shoot 100 rounds out of each 51 Navy, 20 rounds of 12 ga out of a 235, and a 100 rounds out of my .44WCF Uberti 73, Rossi, or Marin. Same rifle for the week.  I use Goex FFFg in everything.  I clean once a week if needed or not.  Use lots of lube on the arbors, lubed felt wad behind all lead. No long turm storage of cartages with the felt wad, lube migrates down the powder.

With my 66 in .38 WCF I pull the side plates of once a year for cleaning and checking for wear on parts ....

My 66 in .45 colt gets checked and cleaned twice a year ...

My Open-Tops get the barrels and cylinders cleaned every shooting day, the arbor re-lubed , the rest is given a quick spray and wipe-down with Ballistol...

Shotguns get bores cleaned , and a spray of Ballistol and a wipe-down each shooting day ... I have been using the same shotgun made in 1884 for the past 8 years with-out turning a screw ...

Jabez Cowboy

16 hours ago, The Coconino Pistolero, SASS # 72432 said:

Unless you're obsessive-compulsive about cleaning guns or show your guns to a retired gunny for inspection you do not have to get every speck of crud off the gun.  Any type of water-based cleaner will dissolve the salts.  Being out west I can let the guns go for days without worry.

That is not exactly what I was saying.

What I was saying was that if you infuse BP fouling with oil, the fouling is rendered harmless and will not cause corrosion.

Yes, I often wait much longer than is commonly felt to be good practice before cleaning my guns. That is just a normal cleaning where the chambers, bore, and all outer surfaces are cleaned of BP fouling.

But every time I clean the gun I also squirt some Murphy's Mix, followed by Ballistol down into the guts of the gun. This is where the oil infusion technique comes into play. The fouling that inevitably gets inside the gun is then rendered harmless and will not cause any corrosion. The fouling can literally sit inside the gun for years without causing any corrosion. Yes, it's a good thing I don't have a drill sergeant peeking over my shoulder, because he would surely give me a hard time for how dirty my guns are. But those guys were usually just making sure recruits had no spare time, cleaning guns to that extent is really not necessary.

While I'm on the subject, I read many years ago that it was not a good idea to shoot Black Powder in old pitted bores, because it would be so difficult to get all the fouling out of the thousands of tiny pits. That's why I bought an Uberti '73 with a shiny new bore when I first started shooting Black Powder. However I have since discovered that it is not a big deal to be shooting Black Powder in old pitted bores. The same strategy of infusing the fouling down inside the pits with oil will work there too. I have quite a few 19th Century revolvers and rifles. Most of them have pitted bores. I simply scrub as much fouling out of the bores and chambers as is practical with a water based BP cleaning solution. I no longer worry about getting every molecule of fouling out of the pits in the bore. I run a patch soaked with Ballistol through the chambers and bores when I am done getting most of the fouling out, then I run a dry patch through to mop up the excess. That's it. The Ballistol infuses the small amount of fouling left in the pits with oil, and it does not cause further corrosion.

Ballistol is Your Best Friend when shooting BP or Sub :-)

Archived