SASS Wire Forum

RV Cowboy Hat Storage

Rancho Roy

How are you RVers storing and transporting your cowboy hats in your RV?

Most racks I see store them upside down by the brim and I'm concerned the motion and vibration will cause damage and wear.

Same thing if I place them on a shelf.

Any ideas would be helpful

I don't leave hats in an RV (or vehicle) very long.  Hot temps (140+ F) shrink felt hats!  

There are some padded wire racks made for carrying hats in cars (commonly, patrol cars) which store by holding the hat at the junction between crown and brim, with crown down.  That might be the best way if you want to take your hats on long trips.

But then again, take a look at this one.  This might be just what you are looking for.

http://www.hatbuddy.com/index.html

Good luck, GJ

This is what our RV looks like, these are The Ultimate Hathanger.

RV-Three_lr1.jpg

Have couple travel hat boxes. One from Miller Hats. Initial price is high but found them on sale half price during travels.Fits Cctv hats great

We stack ours over the kitchen cabinets.  There is about 18 inches between the cabinets and the roof.  Working hats on the bottom because the brims can distort good hats on top to prevent distortion.  Fancy hat in original box.

19 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I don't leave hats in an RV (or vehicle) very long.  Hot temps (140+ F) shrink felt hats!  

There are some padded wire racks made for carrying hats in cars (commonly, patrol cars) which store by holding the hat at the junction between crown and brim, with crown down.  That might be the best way if you want to take your hats on long trips.

But then again, take a look at this one.  This might be just what you are looking for.

http://www.hatbuddy.com/index.html

Good luck, GJ

Really! How much do they shrink? I have one I want to shrink.

I have a cabinet over the closet where I keep smaller hats. The big brim hats are kept in the cardboard box they came in. Hubby put wire shelves in my trailer. When  not moving, those big boxes will stay up there. When I drive off, I take them down and put the boxes on the bed.

I never put shoes or hats in plastic as it holds moisture and they can mold and/or stink unless thoroughly dry before closing the lid. I don't close them in cardboard until they have sat out for several days to dry.

I have had a felt (50% beaver) shrink a 1/8 (like 7 3/8 shrink down to 7 1/4) during one hot day in a closed pickup truck.   Some shrink less.  

If you get the hat wet first before applying heat, I think the shrinking is more aggressive.  That's how lots of folks size a hat to fit them well - soak it then wear it until it fully dries.

Good luck, GJ

4 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I have had a felt (50% beaver) shrink a 1/8 (like 7 3/8 shrink down to 7 1/4) during one hot day in a closed pickup truck.   Some shrink less.  

If you get the hat wet first before applying heat, I think the shrinking is more aggressive.  That's how lots of folks size a hat to fit them well - soak it then wear it until it fully dries.

Good luck, GJ

That is exactly what I would like to do - go from 7 3/8 to a on the large side 7 1/4. This is a Stetson from back when I had hair.

Come to think of it, the hat I wear mostly now is a 7 3/8 Rodeo King that was somewhat loose then all of a sudden it fit me quite firmly. I may at one time left it in the truck and did not think about it. Doesn't take long down here in TX to get nice and toasty inside a closed vehicle. I will be trying that out on the Stetson.

i just keep mine on top of my luggage so it dont get crushed or pushed into a bad shape - im not real into being careful of my cowboy stuff but the hat dont get crushed , it has been wet when shootin a match in the rain but i even try not to get it wet , most of what i have was meant to be used ..........i often put up an umbrella or cover my cart , i have a nice duster/rain coat , but in the end its wjhat i wear to shoot when we shoot and i let the range call the shots , im generally alone in my RV so whatever i do is what i do , 

Archived