SASS Wire Forum

Henry 22 "Soft Stroke"

Eyesa Horg

Just came in from shooting another 200 rounds from my Henry 22. Had "Widder" do his "Soft Stroke" magic to it and now I can't stop playing with it! About 1200 rounds now and still runs like a dream without cleaning. Can't get the grin off my face:D. If you want to grin too---contact Widder---the turn around time is minimal as well.  JMHO   Much Obliged Widder

Thanks Eyesa.  That was unexpected but appreciated.

I've run over 2500 thru mine since last summer/fall and still enjoy taking it out of the safe and doing some 'Walnut' plinking out in the back yard with the CCI Quiet's about 3 times every week.  I might only shoot 10, 12 or 20 rounds at a time but I still get in a little fun time during the week.

Glad you enjoy shooting it.

..........Widder

How do you only shoot 10 or 20? I just keep putting more in! :lol:

EH

I am considering buying 2 Henry .22s before my Grandson comes to visit this summer. One for each of us to plink with. We like to have little competitions with .22s to see who can hit what at various distances. Typically he uses the 10/22 and I use my Savage single shot. I want to get 2 of the same exact gun so it's an even playing field. :D

What does this "soft stroke" job do for the Henry's? I was planning to buy 2 of the Classic Lever Action models.

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/lever-action-22-rifle/

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am considering buying 2 Henry .22s before my Grandson comes to visit this summer. One for each of us to plink with. We like to have little competitions with .22s to see who can hit what at various distances. Typically he uses the 10/22 and I use my Savage single shot. I want to get 2 of the same exact gun so it's an even playing field. :D

What does this "soft stroke" job do for the Henry's? I was planning to buy 2 of the Classic Lever Action models.

Shortens the stroke by installing a small piece of plastic which also stops the lever from slamming into hard metal,  widder also does some action work

42 minutes ago, Sinola Kid said:

I have a youth size Henry 22 I would like to have smoothed out for my son.  

Please PM me with details. 

Thanks, Sinola Kid

SD---See below---

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Pat, It takes an already nice shooter and makes real slick & sweet. It was well worth the cost, I also had the trigger done by his buddy and don't regret any of it. The Henry is a great .22 and Widder just makes it amazing.

Hope you don't mind Widder, I copied this info from another of Widder's posts on the wire:

PM him @ Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 or call/ e-mail:  865 / 336-2339 or email me your phone and I will call you:   widder1894@icloud.com

Oh cool. Thank you Russ T.

And Thank you Eyesa. Good stuff all around.

It will be a couple of months before I actually buy them...kinda in the dog house now over my purchases....if ya know what I mean. ;)

Pat,

You're Welcome and I do know what 'ya mean;) Widder's turn around is about a week with shipping and the trigger job. Russ T. Sites pic shows a lever wrap, which I found I don't need anymore. No finger anguish after 300 rounds in relatively quick succession! The action work and the piece he puts in to make it "soft", makes it so you can't stop shooting it.:ph34r: Your Little Lady will want one too!;)

You fellers got me wantin another one just so I can slick it up also..... :lol:

RUSS, thanks for posting those Before and After pics.

Last summer, Missouri Lefty (2016 Overall World Champion) shot mine at Black Gold.   His 10 rounds were somewhere around 1.8+ seconds.  Billy the Avenger did a video and if I can find it, I will post it on here.  Both M.Lefty and Billy now own a 'Soft Stroke'.

The short stroke is actually the simplest of the mod.  Its just an appropriate size hard rubber buffer that stops the lever about 1.25" shorter than normal.  Because its not a pin or allen set screw, it makes it 'quiet'.

The smoothing of the critical areas and a couple spring changes make it feel 'softer' when operating, and these mods make a noticeable difference in both used and new Henry .22's

Heck, I even polish out the firing pin channel in the bolt and the firing pin which make it 'push' smoother.

My goal is to enhance the feel, in both smoothness and speed.

SLATER is my trigger man.   He smoothes up the sear and hammer cocking notch AND he installs a trigger stop to prevent overtravel.   And if you are familiar with the Henry trigger return spring, you know that the spring sits flat against the frame.  SLATER drills a small hole to capture the end of a NEW spring which keeps that spring from being pinched or crunched during operation.

I hope some of this info has helped answer any questions you might have.

Thanks everyone for your interest.

..........Widder

Howdy Stoney.

Frankly, I don't know if ALL of them can.   I haven't checked out those other rimfire rifles.

The normal smoothing and polishing that I do can be useful but I would have to look at one to determine if my method of short stroking it is as effective as the regular .22 Henry.

..........Widder

I also have a Widder Soft Stroke Henry. It is great fun to shoot. If you think a Henry is smooth out of the box,just wait til Widder does his magic.Highly recommend his work.Thanks for thinking outside the box Widder.

Widder--- Thanks for the Missouri Lefty video, that Lad is quite fun to watch!

I thought about sending that video link to my Grandson and then I thought to myself "You'd better stock up on more .22 ammo if you do". :D

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I thought about sending that video link to my Grandson and then I thought to myself "You'd better stock up on more .22 ammo if you do". :D

And the problem is? Oh yeh, you haven't gotten a Henry to Widder yet.:D

Tommy and I have a his and hers! :rolleyes:  One of my customers got Widder to do a soft stoke Henry for his 9 year old son. He called me when he got it back and was INSANELY HAPPY!!  The very next week his son shot it and did really well. At their home club's annual, his son got his first buckle. The kid is a good shooter - the soft stroke 22 by Widder made him a better shooter because it required significantly less effort from a small kid...and, he felt much more comfortable shooting it. His Dad says he's on fire and constantly wanting to shoot and get better. 

Highly recommend the Widder/Slater work!!

My Grandson CaTazTrophy has been shooting his for the past year & really enjoying it.

Largo

Archived