SASS Wire Forum

Droptube for 38-40

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

When loading my 45-70 and 45-60 cartridges, I use a 24" drop tube. When I occasionally load BP in my 45 colt cartridges (rifle and pistol) I rigged an 18' drop tube through my RCBS Little Dandy powder measure (mounted on a Lee four hole turret press). When I get to the powder step, I pour powder from a Hornady BP measure into a cut down shotshell and then drop tube the powder into the case, followed by bullet seating and then Lee Factory Crimp.

I loaded my first 50 rounds of 38-40 for my Uberti 66 carbine today, utilizing the same method. I'm able to get 30 grains of GOEX 2f into the case and allow for about 1/16' compression of the powder with the 180gr Big Lube bullet. This procedure is not really that slow, I just have to dispense the powder into the shotshell and then drop it into the case. I don't use the same slow trickle method as I do for the large rifle cartridges, just dump into the funnel and let the drop tube help settle the powder.

I got to thinking that maybe I could just mount the Hornady measure on the press and drop the powder directly into the case. I tested this and the 30 grains of powder filled the case to about 1/4" from the mouth. This would allow for too much compression. I could lower the amount of powder to about 25 grains to get the correct amount of compression and save on some powder.

So for SASS shooting I betting this method would be more than satisfactory for accuracy, but what about cleaner burning? I've always read that drop tubing leads to a cleaner burn and better accuracy, especially at longer ranges.

What say you all? Drop tube, yay or nay?

Wyatt

Don't see the need in handgun BP loads. BP rifle loads-Oh heck ya.

It doesn't give a cleaner burn. I may give a more consistent burn.

I, drop tube for my .45-70 & .45-90 loads.

Fill the handgun case till you compress 1/8"-3/16" when seating the bullet. Any more compression and you'll need to use a compression die so you don't mangle the bullet.

OLG

Never used a drop tube other than the Dillon die and powder funnel yet or a Lee powder thru die.  But I've not got into long range bp yet just frontiersmen and plainsman shooting.

I use a drop tube for my BP rifle loads, but just run my 45Colt BP rounds thru the Dillon.  It's consistent "enough" for this purpose... I haven't notice any issues with accuracy out to about 100 yards. 

I think I would go nuts if I had to waste the time to drop tube 1000 rounds of BP CAS ammo.  (Some might argue that ship has sailed. :huh:)  100% completely unnessary for CAS pistol/rifle ammo.  Long range is a different matter.

So I reset my powder measure and mounted onto the Lee Turret press. Wow, what a difference in loading efficiency. I loaded 50 rounds in about 20 minutes. The "nays" have it, no more drop tube for me when loading pistol caliber cartridges.

Wyatt:  Revolver calibers I just drop the powder in and crunch it with the base of the bullet.  At the distances we shoot for CAS, we are shooting at plates not shooting bullseye for X hits.  For BPCR, read an article in the Black Powder Cartridge News comparing accuracy results between drop tubing and vibrating.  The results were so minor - I just vibrate my BP charges

PS:  My drop tube and stand are somewhere in the gun room but I haven't seen it in about 10 years!:D

I drop-tube all my Pistol charges from my "Lyman 55 Black Powder " measure straight into the case using Goex 3F ...

My charge weight is somewhat greater than yours , and equals the velocities obtained with pre. 1900 Factory loads ...

The charged case is removed from the loading block and the lubed ( SPG ) bullet seated and crimped in one step ...

I don't waste time on grease cookies ( cookies are for eating ) or fillers, as all that is needed is enough powder to fill the case for 1/16 to 3/32s. compression  ...

I find that drop-tubed loads burn cleaner and produce more velocity ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived