SASS Wire Forum

EAA Bounty Hunter Pistol Opinions?

Raincrow

Howdy folks,

New member to the sport and the forums so been reading what I can as time allows. I have my rifle from awhile ago, a Legacy Rossi M92 in 357 and am starting to look for my pistols to start with. I like the Uberti El Patron Competition, imagine I'd feel the same way about Smoke Wagons, (haven't shot either yet but felt good in my hand) and tho I haven't shot a Vaquero, I have a Service six, and shot my friend's Blackhawk so am certain I'd like the Rugers just fine. However, with some research and a local shop having ability to get them, I find the EAA pistols intriguing. They've Solid build and beefy frame so should handle what ever loads I choose to play with, like the Rugers. I wondered if anyone knew anything about them. I've read reasonable reviews. I'm open to doing some of my own tuning and such, my rifle is getting better as I cautiously play with it. Being new to the sport, I do not have to have the absolutely the best or fastest, as I'm here for the fun, and I'll have a while before I get that good, or ambitious.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Sorry for triple entry. Horrible lag on my end. Please delete others. I can't see how yet.

I have a friend that started out with EAA BH pistols and while they seemed sound at first and he isn't fast either, The pistols were what he paid for them.  The biggest problem with them was the transfer bar, the alloy they were made of at the time was rather brittle and "crystallized" on a 90 deg bend breaking frequently.  I got real good at replacing the transfer bars at the end tried talking him into letting me weld up the hammers and remove the transfer bar entirely, but he didn't want me to void the "Lifetime" guarantee. (EAA was sending me the transfer bars for free 4 at a time)   He ended up getting frustrated and bought a pair of Vaqueros and hasn't looked back since. 

F.S.

Thank you FS, may I ask how long ago he bought them and your hammer work sounded interesting, is a chamber safe with the hammer in the second click that way? Knowing about the EAA warranty I wonder what might happen if one fabricated a transfer bar from a better material. I admit that since I am in the "Northwet" a pair of stainless Vaqueros would make sense. My rifle is the Stainless model so it would be a stylish match, but the initial outlay of mullah$ does cause one to look. There is another local shop with a El Patron Competition at $529 so I would just have to order it's cousin and be sure I keep that pretty case hardened frame and rest well oiled.

Anyway thanks, keep the info coming.

My Dad has the older version, JP Sauer, it seems to be well made.  Do the newer ones still have the recessed cylinders like older S&W double actions.  If so then that makes them hard to check at the loading table.  You can have the edge machined off though.

https://youtu.be/tuZJovIB2O0

My understanding is they still have the recessed cylinders and the loading table concern was mentioned. Personally I admit liking the tighter fit and look.

Weihrauch bought the tooling from Sauer so I expect the machining and fit is excellent, I read the grips are not always that great a fit though. Things I am willing to work with. EAA, as most of you know, is the importer.

Here's what I have learned over many years. You don't want the best or fastest now but at some point you probably will. I think once you get a taste of competition you are going to outgrow those EAAs pretty fast. I would start with some version of Uberti or Ruger, something that is or can be modified so the pistols can grow with you as you grow as a shooter and a competitor. When you outgrow those EAAs then you just have to start all over again.

Just my .02 cents, respectfully submitted.

I shoot Rugers so "consider the source" but a transfer bar-equipped revolver is no advantage in a match revolver since you will always be loading five rounds with hammer down on an empty chamber.  The frame of the EAA is larger than a Colt sized revolver so holster fit may be an issue.  The chambers are not recessed in the way that the older S&W revolver chambers were recessed, rather, there is a "bead" on the edge of the rear side of the cylinder.  It does complicate loading table procedure but there are ways of dealing with that.

There are no aftermarket parts for these revolvers.  You might find a gunsmith who can slick it up a little.

I'd recommend saving your nickels and getting what you really want rather than compromising.

1 hour ago, Brimstone Bill Willson said:

My Dad has the older version, JP Sauer, it seems to be well made.  Do the newer ones still have the recessed cylinders like older S&W double actions.  If so then that makes them hard to check at the loading table.  You can have the edge machined off though.

https://youtu.be/tuZJovIB2O0

Or you can just designate one empty chamber as a "do not load this one" with some engraving that pleases you and make sure that is the one under the hammer.

That is what I have done with my larger heavier old style Vaqueros.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

The Bounty hunter cylinder has the caliber stamped on one side of one chamber and something else stamped on the other side of the chamber. If you don't load that chamber you can see the stampings on both sides of the top strap. Just show the loading officer the chamber between the stamps is not loaded, and then show the stamps on both sides of the top strap. You can see this on some of the pictures at the EAA web site. I always thought the old Sauer guns were the best kept secret in SASS. The EAA guns can be slicked up quite well.

Thank you everyone for the feed back. Gonna try my best to summarize the inputs and my answers to some questions.

"When you outgrow those EAAs then you just have to start all over again. Just my .02 cents, respectfully submitted." Lead Friend

My concern and why I asked. Having built a race car and an unfinished Airplane, I learned it can be more efficient and frugal to enjoy the benefits of another's efforts.

Abilene Slim, it's not so much settle for but try to fathom and justify the extra $300-$400ish for 2 Rugers. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ruger.

Abe E,S, Corpus (love the name) Holster fit is an excellent caution. I presume I would be looking for Ruger friendly leather if I get the EAAs. The transfer bar consideration is because the Missus and I are already use to one in our double action. The thought is, since we almost always practice using it as a single, the other way I afford this is making the new pistols the house choice for defense as well. (perhaps misguided, my service six can pop off rounds quickly in double action but does pull down.) There are a few parts that can be used on EAA, and I am not afraid to be a bit of a bodger (Brit term) and fiddle with them a bit. My Rossi is starting to cycle pretty nicely.

Gateway Kid, I have also read that it is wise to truly test a revolver by doing sand bag tests of 3 per chamber to see if one is slightly off and throwing a round off regularly, and then pick THAT as your match empty.

Crooked River, I agree, It is possible I would get quite a few seasons of fun both on the range and at home tweaking. (yes I'm a hands on guy, it's fun.) the other fact I am looking at is, if these can be decent enough to get me by for awhile, I'd have more mullah left over to get started on reloading, which I have been meaning to do for years.

Thanks again all for the feedback. I'd be lying if I didn't admit the matched SASS Vaqueros with the Montado hammer weren't tempting! But I may have access to a new pair of BH for about $850. Not a difference of sum, easy to ignore.B)

17 minutes ago, Raincrow said:

it's not so much settle for but try to fathom and justify the extra $300-$400ish for 2 Rugers. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ruger.

I thought that too when I first started in CAS. I bought a new pair of Colt clones and ended up spending far more than the difference just to get them running reliably. Our game is very hard on guns and you might find down the road that a $300-$400 difference for a pair is more than worth it.

I'm not pushing the Rugers necessarily, although I have a pair of Bisleys among other clones, but you'll find that tuning and 'smithing is essential. There is nothing more frustrating than a gun that won't run reliably. Some manufacturers require more work than others.

Good luck!

I can appreciate that, and see a pair of 357 Vaqueros show up used as low as $1100, then just figure in shipping and FFL fees. I've time to decide. This season is watch and learn. Try out what folks are willing to let me test. I bought 4 brands of commercial cowboy ammo, to use and share my appreciation of the kindness to test. Haven't even thought much about shotgun yet. Stoeger Coach supreme looks good. I have a single shot 20 gauge from a friend that owed me money. it'll be slow, but allow me to play while I get my boots wet.

Tho I admit patience is not a virtue I am well acquainted with! :rolleyes:

First off, I shoot Colts and I love them. However you can get 2 or three guns for the price of a Colt. I acquired a set of Bounty hunters that I was going to use for a set of backup guns. They were new unfired, but they were rough and had a terrible hammer pull and trigger creep, and weighed about double of my Colts and I decided that for my preferences, they were not what I wanted. It has been suggested to get some guns from Cimarron and they can be the closest to Colt you can get. I have handled some of the Cimarron's and they look and feel almost like a Colt. Rugers are good guns, but they have always been too bulky for me. Try the different guns and when you find the one that fits you hand the best, go with them. If you watch the wire and Gunbroker, you can get some guns at a good price if you are patient. Good Luck.

Well Crooked River Pete, I may try this out. I'm going to ask my local guy if he can bring them in from his supplier to feel them out and decide if to have them held while sorting the rest of $$. Or may say thanks, lets get that Bond Arms or bring in the Smoke Wagon Deluxes.

Rainbow

Have you looked in the classifieds here in SASS wire there is a set of Evil Roy's and a set of Vaccaro both @$1100 Either of them look reasonable and No bad choice there 

However another good thought is to go to a few shoots and handle and shoot some Cowboy guns They are usually more than happy to help out a new shooter 

When I first started I loved the Smokewagon - still do they were tuned Codymatic, then bought a set of NMV from a friend liked those and still do 

Finally got Colt fever and now have a set of those 

Just sharing you will get to like and feel many guns but make your first gun choice one you can "grow old with" they will be special to you

26 minutes ago, M D Lancaster said:

Sorry Raincrow. Spell check changed your name on me 

No worries mate. happens often. I definitely appreciate your input and will be going to meets to check out more. Folks locally already have impressed me as a great friendly bunch. Then again you have to have a sense of humor to be out in the wet and cold with umbrellas for the gun cart, not yourself! :rolleyes: I had hoped to hang out with the Ghost Riders tomorrow but surprise cold rain again, and the missus and I are recovering from a froggy stubborn cold that has been going around. Don't want to infect anyone with this misery. Trying to be patient but there is enough positive writing about the BH that they may suit me for awhile. The one's I'll be keeping for life came from Dad and Granddad. I thought of trading the service six until I heard what I'd get and said oh hell no! Grandpa's savage kit built 22LR was being used back in the day for prairie dogs, long before red dust videos. He made that stock, it stays in family. Frightfully accurate with iron sights. Leaned to shoot on that rifle, among others.

Pet peeve alert-- " I have also read that it is wise to truly test a revolver by doing sand bag tests of 3 per cylinder to see if one is slightly off and throwing a round off regularly, and then pick THAT as your match empty." A revolver only has ONE cylinder containing the 5, 6, 7 etc chambers.

Get a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros either used or new from one of our excellent vendors. I have gone thru many sets of main match revolvers since 96. I now use a brace of new Vaqueros slicked up by Long Hunter Shooting Supply. The added benefit of getting them from LH is they sell them for not much more than others sell stock versions and they will come slicked up for the game. I do not ever anticipate needing another set if I live to be 100. Money well spent. The Bounty Hunters? Well not so much...

The EAA's was my wife's first set of pistols.  They are our backup pistols, but still will run well.  The wife wanted new pistols and the Rugers and the bank account agreed with each other so they came home with us.  That was 11 years ago.  I used them for several years when I switched to 38/357.  Found an offer on a set of Smoke Wagons which was hard to turn down, hence the reason they are our backups.

The transfer bar in our pistols were soft and over time, started to get fail to fire issues.  Had the bars removed and hammers welded up, and to date, have not had any problems with them going bang.  

On our pistols, the cylinder is stamped the German name and caliber which bracket a chamber.  When working with a loading officer, I would show the L.O. the stampings and empty chamber.  Then load as normal.  Close the gate and rotate till the stampings saddle the top strap and show the officer.  Never had any issues.

The pistols are 357's.  The one thing I would say is that they are HEAVY, but manageable.  Oh I forgot, the pistols are about 12-13 years old too.  I would not hestitate to use them if needed.

23 hours ago, Lone Dog, SASS #20401 said:

Pet peeve alert-- " I have also read that it is wise to truly test a revolver by doing sand bag tests of 3 per cylinder to see if one is slightly off and throwing a round off regularly, and then pick THAT as your match empty." A revolver only has ONE cylinder containing the 5, 6, 7 etc chambers.

Sorry I'm a nube I am not sure what you are referring to. I had read a well explained Paco's perfection test about being sure each cylinder is machined well enough to line up properly to bore with barrel to identify any discrepancy. (saying this poorly) I get this idea as occasionally my old Ruger service six can send off some bits sideways on a couple of the hot loads I inherited. Is possible timing is a tad tweaked over the years. Anyway, I planned to check my old double action this way, I admit ignorance about the one cylinder and the  567 chambers. Please help educate me. Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Raincrow said:

Sorry I'm a nube I am not sure what you are referring to. I had read a well explained Paco's perfection test about being sure each cylinder is machined well enough to line up properly to bore with barrel to identify any discrepancy. (saying this poorly) I get this idea as occasionally my old Ruger service six can send off some bits sideways on a couple of the hot loads I inherited. Is possible timing is a tad tweaked over the years. Anyway, I planned to check my old double action this way, I admit ignorance about the one cylinder and the  567 chambers. Please help educate me. Thanks in advance.

This confuses some folks.  If you think of a six cylinder automobile engine, the six holes bored into the block are called "cylinders".

In revolver terminology, the cylindrical part that revolves is the "cylinder".  Each individual "charge hole" bored into the cylinder is a "chamber".  So we would say that the cylinder of an EAA Bounty Hunter has six chambers.

6 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

This confuses some folks.  If you think of a six cylinder automobile engine, the six holes bored into the block are called "cylinders".

In revolver terminology, the cylindrical part that revolves is the "cylinder".  Each individual "charge hole" bored into the cylinder is a "chamber".  So we would say that the cylinder of an EAA Bounty Hunter has six chambers.

Plain as the nose on my face.  :blink:  Thanks, of course chamber, and I knew that. I had just talked with someone about a V6 motor I am selling so the motor head in me goofed up the terms. I suppose one of the other possible pluses of the BH is they come with 2 cylinders, so I would be able to check which has the truest line bore on the chambers, if there is any variance at all.

BHs come with two cylinders? Say what? Bounty Hunters only come with the one cylinder usually. It will be chambered in either 44 mag, 45 Colt or 357. The other BH i.e. the fabled Ruger Black Hawk is available in conversion models i.e. 45 Colt/45 ACP and 357/9mm. I use a pair of those with the 9mm cylinder at this one club where the targets are out a ways and smaller than other places where the adjustable sight picture comes in handy for these old eyes.

Not saying there are not Bounty Hunters available with conversion cylinders, just never heard of any that's all. Unless you were referring to 22 lr/22 mag model.

6 hours ago, Lone Dog, SASS #20401 said:

BHs come with two cylinders? Say what? Bounty Hunters only come with the one cylinder usually. It will be chambered in either 44 mag, 45 Colt or 357. The other BH i.e. the fabled Ruger Black Hawk is available in conversion models i.e. 45 Colt/45 ACP and 357/9mm. I use a pair of those with the 9mm cylinder at this one club where the targets are out a ways and smaller than other places where the adjustable sight picture comes in handy for these old eyes.

Not saying there are not Bounty Hunters available with conversion cylinders, just never heard of any that's all. Unless you were referring to 22 lr/22 mag model.

I may be reading this wrong or maybe it is just the 22's and LR, but their site seems to imply all models, I'll ask the vendor Tuesday. I know the Ruger Black Hawk conversions are pretty cool, but I'm not really interested in multiple calibers. and don't really need an extra cylinder. Here is a quote off their site.

Features: Alloy Frame See State Restrictions, Blue Finish, Blue Barrel and Cylinder, Case Color Frame, Two Cylinders With Each Frame, Half Cock Position, Nickel Finish, Single Action Revolver, Steel Fr

FWIW 

Numrich still carries parts for these.

I started CAS with an Arminius SA .44mag. mfg by H. Weihrauch.

Had to replace the transfer bar eventually...but the replacement grips from EAA fit just fine.

FIE%2044a-600x450.jpg

]

I had a pair of EAA Bounty Hunters for a while (traded a pair of Model P Juniors for them) & there problems with the transfer bar system in both guns when I got them.  One was an older model that the transfer bar itself broke.  The other gun had a problem with the actuator on the trigger, it was a 2 pc setup & the actuator cracked & fell off the trigger.  I replaced the parts in both guns & sold them not long after.

As an aside, the counterbored chambers can be a real PITA at the loading table.  Like Clueless Bob mentioned above, you can mark one cylinder then show that one to the LTO as empty, then making sure that chamber is under the hammer.  If you put a small dot of paint on each side of the chamber with a paint Sharpie, it makes it really visible & the paint doesn't mar the finish of the gun at all.

Holler

19 hours ago, Raincrow said:

I may be reading this wrong or maybe it is just the 22's and LR, but their site seems to imply all models, I'll ask the vendor Tuesday. I know the Ruger Black Hawk conversions are pretty cool, but I'm not really interested in multiple calibers. and don't really need an extra cylinder. Here is a quote off their site.

Features: Alloy Frame See State Restrictions, Blue Finish, Blue Barrel and Cylinder, Case Color Frame, Two Cylinders With Each Frame, Half Cock Position, Nickel Finish, Single Action Revolver, Steel Fr

I do not believe any of the Bounty Hunters have alloy frames, not even the 22s. Also none of them except for the 22s come with two cylinders. Botttom line to this thread is the Bounty Hunters are good guns for hunting and plinking NOT so much for this game. They will be unsatisfactory to anyone who gets serious for this game. So why spend good money on them only to have to re-sell them or relegate them to back up status after the light comes on. Answer: no one should. Get a set of New Vaqueros from one of our cowboy vendors and never have to worry about buying another brace of pistols EVER. Unless you just want to, which of course we all always do. It's an affliction. We all lust after many many rifles, shotguns and most especially pistolas. Very few of us lust after Bounty Hunters, they are just not sexy, they are clunky and they break. The only feature recommending them is the price and that is very much negated by all the undesireable shortcomings.

3 hours ago, Lone Dog, SASS #20401 said:

I do not believe any of the Bounty Hunters have alloy frames, not even the 22s. Also none of them except for the 22s come with two cylinders. Botttom line to this thread is the Bounty Hunters are good guns for hunting and plinking NOT so much for this game. They will be unsatisfactory to anyone who gets serious for this game. So why spend good money on them only to have to re-sell them or relegate them to back up status after the light comes on. Answer: no one should. Get a set of New Vaqueros from one of our cowboy vendors and never have to worry about buying another brace of pistols EVER. Unless you just want to, which of course we all always do. It's an affliction. We all lust after many many rifles, shotguns and most especially pistolas. Very few of us lust after Bounty Hunters, they are just not sexy, they are clunky and they break. The only feature recommending them is the price and that is very much negated by all the undesireable shortcomings.

I can completely understand and agree with your points, however I have read some user reviews by owners that think it can be a very good gun, with a little work. Or It may mean I wait a season till I can afford more, go out to more meets, shoot a few examples and wait to get tuned Vaqueros or buy a nice tuned set from the listings here. I am following some short stroke tuned Smoke Wagons as a possibility. My affliction is not so much having, but tinkering. I'll include a link that was encouraging about doing some minor work to the trigger. For me the budget is an issue as I can be accused of too many hobbies. I also will eventually need to get a better scatter gun than my 20 G single shot, and do recognize until I start reloading I'll only be able to do so many meets a year to start with, so need $$ for decent loading gear in the shop. here's the link I found interesting. http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/eaas-bounty-hunter-single-action-45-colt/

19 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

FWIW 

Numrich still carries parts for these.

I started CAS with an Arminius SA .44mag. mfg by H. Weihrauch.

Had to replace the transfer bar eventually...but the replacement grips from EAA fit just fine.

FIE%2044a-600x450.jpg

]

Them are some Purdy grips Partner! Nice!

Pard, you can do what you want to do with your money. Some of us have been at this game a good while, since 96 for me and we know whereof we speak. For the same money as the Bounty Hunters you can get a brace of used Blackhawks and be much better served. Period. End of story. Just the way it is out west or anywhere else...

7 minutes ago, Lone Dog, SASS #20401 said:

Pard, you can do what you want to do with your money. Some of us have been at this game a good while, since 96 for me and we know whereof we speak. For the same money as the Bounty Hunters you can get a brace of used Blackhawks and be much better served. Period. End of story. Just the way it is out west or anywhere else...

I truly respect that, and that's why I asked. Having seen similar wisdom in Sports cars, Bikes, Boats and music instruments. Truth be told I have a high regard for Ruger and it is the first pistol Dad gave me. I may just have to be patient, not one of my strong suits! :P

Archived