SASS Wire Forum

NM: UPDATE# 2 Bill to Ban Private Gun Sales: ALIVE

Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

UPDATE#2  From Wildshot

On Mar 15, 2017, at 10:39, Wildshot <wildshot@sassnet.com> wrote:

In my last notice I stated that HB548 had been tabled at 7:30 PM Monday and that while it could come back, it was highly unlikely. 

Well, it came back!  Tuesday morning the bill was pulled from the table and sent to the House floor where it was sent to the Public Affairs committee. 

Currently, HB548 does not appear on the committee calendar or agenda, but that could change at any moment.

We still have SB48 to keep an eye on.. it could be called to the floor at any time but is not scheduled at rthis time. 

This indicates to me that a lot of pressure is being applied to some of our legislators. A lot of money was spent electing Democrats last election and now certain interests are looking for a return on their investment. 

Wild Shot 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I received a report from Tex and Wild Shot regarding HB 548.

It seems the bill was a blank sheet of paper with the title HB548 wherein anything could be written! 

In any case, we(SASS), the NRA and many other gun owners, showed up in numbers.  As a result of their demonstrated resolve, HB 548 was tabled!

This particular battle was won but the war goes on.  The battle was won by a group of determined patriots to show their government who matters in NM; who owns their government and who supports their unalienable right to keep and bear arms...and sell those arms as private property free of government intervention!

Great job to all.  We salute you.

CD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't see this getting past committee in NM but you must never let your guard down around any anti-gun Democrats!  NM gun owners must let their government know where they stand!  

Colonel Dan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Mexico Democrats are assigning a new bill number to failed gun control legislation in hopes of reviving an effort to ban private gun sales.

The failed bill–HB 50–and will likely be renumbered HB 548 and taken up by the NM House Judiciary Committee on Monday.

HB 50 was sponsored by State Representative Stephanie Garcia Richard (D-Los Alamos). It mandates that New Mexico residents seek out an agent of the state–a Federal Firearms License holder (FFL)–and undergo a background check on every gun sale, whether retail or private. In other words, HB 50 is about universal background checks.

The NRA-ILA is sounding the alarm on the attempt to switch HB 50 to HB 548:

The original version of HB 50 was a near-universal ban on private firearms sales and temporary loans or transfers. It was so unpopular with lawmakers that it was sent back from the House floor to the House Judiciary Committee, where it has since languished.  Now, Bloomberg and anti-gun lawmakers are pushing HB 548, which requires that all online firearms sales and transfers taking place at gun shows be conducted through a federal firearm licensed dealer (FFL), which would involve extensive paperwork, a background check and an undetermined fee.

On February 9 Breitbart News reported that 32 out of 33 of New Mexico Sheriffs warned that HB 50 would lead to a gun registry; the same will be true of HB 548, as it is simply the same bill with a different number.

Breitbart News has long warned that a gun registry is necessary for universal background checks to work, whether the checks are federal or state-level. This is because the government has to know where every gun is if it wants to know whether a gun is changing hands in a private sale. And those who have paid attention have witnessed the scenario play out in California, where universal background checks have been complimented with firearm registration and gun confiscation laws.

HB 548 is expected to be taken up by the House Judiciary Committee around 1:30 pm Monday.

AWR Hawkins is the Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart News and host of Bullets with AWR Hawkins, a Breitbart News podcast. He is also the political analyst for Armed American Radio. Follow him on Twitter: @AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at awrhawkins@breitbart.com.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/03/12/new-mexico-democrats-undertake-last-ditch-effort-ban-private-gun-sales/

HB 50 did make it to the floor where it was returned to committee.  HB 548 may well get out of committee too.  Greg Nibert of District 59, Chaves and Lincoln Counties did write me that he opposed the bill.  My own representative, Baldonado did not return my e-mail but I trust he too will vote against the HB 548.  The NRA has a site where one can easily send an e-mail to all House Judiciary members to oppose the bill.  See https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170312/time-to-step-up-and-stop-hb-548-bloombergs-latest-gun-control-legislation-that-has-new-life-at-the-roundhouse.

Today's democrats sure ain't JFK democrats.

What in the wide wide world of sports happened to that party?

Archived