SASS Wire Forum

1.2.4.2.1 sweep, does it have a name? - sample of new vid added

Grizzly Dave

5 targets, those numbers are rounds per target, if you must have it spelled out .1.2.2.3.3.3.3.4.4.5

second question, a 5 round nevada sweep on 3 targets starting in the middle, I've seen it called a Blackjack Sweep, but also a Pea Patch sweep, which if either is more widely used?

I needed to have it spelled out as well; I guess Rye and I are just some of the more dim witted cowboys.  Second dumb answer two five round Nevada sweeps starting in the middle is also called a Dixie Sweep as well as the previously mentioned.  The same names have been used for the sweep when it was continuous as well.  I don't know what you would call it if you were splitting pistols as you indicated in your post, "a five round Nevada sweep". 

Valid points all for sure.

I tend to think of some sweeps in term of rounds per target hence the 1.2.4.2.1 description.  I know some think in terms of target order for everything.

I kinda enjoy the names but it does get tiresome when the same thing is called multiple names depending where you are.

Like Rye and 12 Mile Reb I see the numbers as the target identification. And, like Marauder, I get tired of the named sweeps. Especially when instructions for the stage are given by the name of the sweep and no other details. Actually, I believe it was Rye that posted a link for all the named sweeps when I asked one time. I was surprised at how many had 2 or 3 names.

We shot that sweep last week for the first time and also had a 1,5,2,2,4,4,3,3,3,3.

1 hour ago, Grizzly Dave said:

5 targets, those numbers are rounds per target, if you must have it spelled out .1.2.2.3.3.3.3.4.4.1

second question, a 5 round nevada sweep on 3 targets starting in the middle, I've seen it called a Blackjack Sweep, but also a Pea Patch sweep, which if either is more widely used?

Hey do me a favor, please spell it out next time for us dummies!:o

if you notice I do use the target number nomenclature in the video, ya all ain't dummies, ya just ain't as weird as I am, and I was in a rush when I posted the OP.

1 minute ago, Grizzly Dave said:

if you notice I do use the target number nomenclature in the video, ya all ain't dummies, ya just ain't as weird as I am, and I was in a rush when I posted the OP.

Fair enough!!;)

2 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

5 targets, those numbers are rounds per target, if you must have it spelled out .1.2.2.3.3.3.3.4.4.1

Mr. Griz, You should change the last number to a 5 to be politically correct.

1 hour ago, Noz said:

We shot that sweep last week for the first time and also had a 1,5,2,2,4,4,3,3,3,3.

I believe that's the firing sequence for a 350 V8 engine :lol:

Kajun

2 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I'm sorta tied of all the named sweeps. 

Duplicate names, too many to remember, just tell us how you want it shot.

+1 I travel to a lot of shoots and many times i have no idea what they are talking about with the named sweeps. 

The 1-2-4-2-1 sweep on 5 targets is a "death valley" sweep when targets are set in a V shape vertically.  ie

x.........x. Either upper row target 1x

..x....x Then the corresponding middle row target 2x

.....x Then the lowest row target 4x

then the other (unused) middle row target 2x

then the other (unused) upper row target 1x

It is a "pikes peak" sweep when the targets are set in an upside down V shape vertically.

Set level, it is simply a 1-2-4-2-1 sweep or a palindrome.

Can also be shot with the same names using only three targets, by simply returning across the already used targets with duplicate round counts.

And a Nevada sweep beginning on the center?

It's called a Nevada sweep, beginning on the center.

1 minute ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Seem to remember shooting one of those on my visit to your range Creeker.

Yes, sir. Utilizing our three level target tree; the pikes peak or death valley is a pretty common sweep around here.

Ok...5 targets, 10 rounds. What's the name for 123 234 345 3. I called it the 3peat follies. I was worried it would or might draw a P, but no one had a problem with it, and they all said it was fun, but you have to think a bit when shooting it with pistols. 1st round out of 2nd pistol goes on target 4. I don't think I would use it at a big match but for winter make em' up as you go shoots it went ok..

19 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

1.2.4.2.1 sweep, does it have a name?

I've always heard of that referred to as a "Desperado Sweep"...

I like the concept of what you are trying to do; providing folks with a visual understanding of a sweep.  I tried something similar a while back, prior to "JED iTV", take a look here:

I like that you've added the shot sound and ringing target.  Well done!

I personally refer to all sweeps as "huh, what?" Sweeps. It helps me to keep them all straight by not ever being able to remember them from one shoot to the next. ;)

Mean Gun Mark invented the Mean Gun Sweep last year.  As I recall it was 1 on 1, 3 on 2, 2 on 3 and 4 on 4.  It's what happens when a progressive sweep goes horribly wrong!:o

I'm relatively new to this game, late 2014 start.

It seems that there are only a few 'sweeps' that are consistent in their naming from region to region and even within a region, can vary club to club.

Nevada sweep and Lawrence Welk seem to be consistent. After that it seems all bets are off as to naming.

I've tired of trying to memorize the pattern with a name since the name can vary so widely depending on where one is shooting. From here on I just try to memorize the pattern from the stage description and hope I'm not the first shooter so I can watch a couple folks ahead of me to really help it seat in my brain.

Sometimes it seems like the sweep names are following some sort of Starbucks naming convention.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, Grizzly Dave said:

The reason I asked is that I am working on a video project where a name for sweeps would better fit my format.

Here is a sample of how I'm putting it together.

Grizzly Dave,   I really like this vid.....awesome...

BW

Archived