SASS Wire Forum

Shotguns...

So, now being "retarred," I'm hoping to make up for a lot of years missing out on fun stuff. AFTER chores and such, of course!

One of those "fun things" I've missed is busting clays. Now, there are all sorts of toys in the safe - SXS's, pumps, autoloaders, but... I'm sorta toying with the idea of something different, and requesting suggestions and opinions:

Being on a very limited budget, are there any serviceable O/U guns that one could consider affordable?  :)

New or used - but limited to California for used guns. Fees for buying out-of-state (like Gunbroker) can be absurdly expensive.

George Digweed, multiple world champion at clays, shoots a Perazzi.  We should be so lucky...

CZ makes good guns.  I also hefted a Franchi Instinct that mounted well and was a bit over $1000.  And of course you might find a used Browning hiding someplace.

6 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

George Digweed, multiple world champion at clays, shoots a Perazzi.  We should be so lucky...

CZ makes good guns.  I also hefted a Franchi Instinct that mounted well and was a bit over $1000.  And of course you might find a used Browning hiding someplace.

Make mine a Krieghoff, thanks...

I've got a 20 ga. Ruger Red Label I bought 30+ years ago that I still love. Got a deal on it brand new cause it had a little gouge on the fore end sitting on the shelf at the gun shop. Don't know what they cost now if it's in your price range, but pretty low priced for a nice O/U.

JHC

13 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I've got a 20 ga. Ruger Red Label I bought 30+ years ago that I still love. Got a deal on it brand new cause it had a little gouge on the fore end sitting on the shelf at the gun shop. Don't know what they cost now if it's in your price range, but pretty low priced for a nice O/U.

JHC

I was thinking new, but yes, I would take a used Red Label every time. I've taken quite a few pheasant with one.

Ruger Red Label 20 gauge is a sweet little o/u. Someone liked the one that I had so much they stole it in 1988.

I had a CZ Upland Ultralight. About $650 new. Nice gun. A little too light for full loads though. 6 pounds isn't quite heavy enough  for a 12 gauge but it would have been a great field gun. Sold it to buy a Cowboy gun.

I to love my clays and have collected sxs's, pumps, single shots etc. but lays wanted an over/under.  I looked for years on a deal and found one that Marlin made. I picked it up off gunbroker for $300.00. It's shoots every bit has good has the red label and the berets silver belonging to friends that I had already shot. Might be one you could consider. I see them every so often and they seem to sale around the same that I spent.

Marlin model 90. There's one on Gunsamerica right now for $495 it's the deluxe.

You can find Browning Citoris on Gunbroker for well under $1000.  Winchester 101s show up from time to time, too.    I don't know how expensive it is to get them to California,  here it costs actual shipping plus $35.00 for the FFL holder.  When I lived in San Diego the gun shops were worth cruising for used guns.   Also, try the used gun rack at Bass Pro or Cabela's, they sometimes have nice guns and will negotiate on the price.           

You can get hooked on O/Us, they are fun guns to shoot.

Duffield

For a new O/U, the Stevens 555 is a Turkey-made, aluminum-receiver gun that retails for around $600.  The guns have gotten decent reviews.

My guess is that a modern new gun is a better place to start than a used gun that could have been fired tens of thousands of times by an avid claybuster.

The most important two factor with busting clays is quality and fit.  I would shoot a second rate gun if it fit me better than a top-name gun.  You might have troubles with the gun sooner than a high quality gun, but you would likely bust more clays with a proper-fit gun.

I also have a Blued Ruger Red Label 20ga I have had for 20+ years .

Love my Red Label.

I use a Stevens 12 or 20ga sxs 311  sometimes.

Sometimes I use a 1929 Winchester 97 Takedown with opened up Chambers.

Lately I have got in to a Stoeger 12ga sxs 28in barrels and two triggers.

A lot of fun to shoot Trap and Skeet with .

Thats my primary gun for now lol.

Well all righty then...

So now I've spent the last three days thinkin', noodlin' about the 'net, and visiting a half-dozen gun stores, and re-reading all the good input from you fellas. Thanks, guys... and Big Sage, I appreciate your thinkin' of me.  

Well, I've fondled, hefted, shouldered and smelled Beretta's, CZ's, Browning's, Benelli's, Franchi's, and a few other miscellaneous pieces, with prices ranging from $450 to ten times that amount. Now, keeping in mind the budget issue, I had to force myself to distinguish between dreaming and reality.

So a couple did have appeal - actually, a BUNCH of em had appeal, but I didn't want to have to tighten my belt that much.

First, the Franchi Instinct L model. Nice gun; handled well, a handsome piece. Pretty wood; a "Prince of Wales" style stock, "case-hardened" frame. Sportsman's Warehouse lists 'em for $1,300. But don't stock 'em. Interestingly, Dick's sells a "House Brand" version of the same gun; plain stock, blued frame, for $999.

Second is a CZ. Now, I've talked to a number of people about CZ's and read tons of reviews... and there were some common threads in the reviews: the negative assessments were primarily from people who had never nor would ever have one, or were written ten or more years ago. The positive evaluations were by people who either owned and liked 'em, or had done "professional" reviews for publication (undoubtedly a mite jaded).

This afternoon I looked at a CZ Woodcock. Fondled it, hefted it, shouldered it, and yep... even smelled it. (Also had nice wood, a "Prince of Wales" style stock, and "case-hardened" frame). Did the same with a plain Jane, $1,700 Browning Citori. Now, I do know there's definitely quality differences, but I was very surprised at the similarities in the feel and weight.  Neither is lightweight, but that's fine... I wanna shoot clay pigeons, and don't intend to be scaling any canyon walls chasing grouse or such. 

That said, I reckon I just might find time tomorrow to go plunk down some money and start the "cooling off period" for the CZ. It seems that this was some sort of a "premier" model that has been discontinued; Gander Mountain had sold 'em for $1,200; the ONE left at Sportsman's Warehouse is on sale for $599.

So that's where I am as of Midnight on Monday. :)

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Well all righty then...

So now I've spent the last three days thinkin', noodlin' about the 'net, and visiting a half-dozen gun stores, and re-reading all the good input from you fellas. Thanks, guys... and Big Sage, I appreciate your thinkin' of me.  

Well, I've fondled, hefted, shouldered and smelled Beretta's, CZ's, Browning's, Benelli's, Franchi's, and a few other miscellaneous pieces, with prices ranging from $450 to ten times that amount. Now, keeping in mind the budget issue, I had to force myself to distinguish between dreaming and reality.

So a couple did have appeal - actually, a BUNCH of em had appeal, but I didn't want to have to tighten my belt that much.

First, the Franchi Instinct L model. Nice gun; handled well, a handsome piece. Pretty wood; a "Prince of Wales" style stock, "case-hardened" frame. Sportsman's Warehouse lists 'em for $1,300. But don't stock 'em. Interestingly, Dick's sells a "House Brand" version of the same gun; plain stock, blued frame, for $999.

Second is a CZ. Now, I've talked to a number of people about CZ's and read tons of reviews... and there were some common threads in the reviews: the negative assessments were primarily from people who had never nor would ever have one, or were written ten or more years ago. The positive evaluations were by people who either owned and liked 'em, or had done "professional" reviews for publication (undoubtedly a mite jaded).

This afternoon I looked at a CZ Woodcock. Fondled it, hefted it, shouldered it, and yep... even smelled it. (Also had nice wood, a "Prince of Wales" style stock, and "case-hardened" frame). Did the same with a plain Jane, $1,700 Browning Citori. Now, I do know there's definitely quality differences, but I was very surprised at the similarities in the feel and weight.  Neither is lightweight, but that's fine... I wanna shoot clay pigeons, and don't intend to be scaling any canyon walls chasing grouse or such. 

That said, I reckon I just might find time tomorrow to go plunk down some money and start the "cooling off period" for the CZ. It seems that this was some sort of a "premier" model that has been discontinued; Gander Mountain had sold 'em for $1,200; the ONE left at Sportsman's Warehouse is on sale for $599.

So that's where I am as of Midnight on Monday. :)

I don't even know what to say. If you need an O/U shotgun today, you don't need it...:blink:

Like you, though, if I were in the market for one, I wouldn't turn down a CZ out of hand.

From what I have seen and read, which isn't much, the CZ Drake sounds like what I would be looking for,

to test. Has extractors, which is a plus for trap and skeet in my book. I reload shotgun too.

Well... as happens, I changed my other mind.  :rolleyes:

Returned to Sportsman's Warehouse and asked to see the CZ Woodcock... the very nice gal behind the counter handed me a totally different gun.  Totally different... but stamped "Woodcock" nevertheless. Same name, but minus some of the niceties of the original; seems they'd stopped production of that upscale model and re-assigned the name to one of their lesser models.  Oh well...

Won't actually get it 'til the sometime late next week, but yesterday I plunked down $$ for the Franchi. Not fancy, over twice the price, but I like it. :)

And now Sassparilla Kid is Jonesin' for the 28 ga version!  ^_^

Yep... but at 38,000 pounds just too danged heavy.  :o

Alas... budgetary constraints ~ had to pass on the Krieghoff, too... even though a K 80 can be had for a mere $49,000.

I think you'll like the Franchi, they make a nice gun.  I was about to chime in on the Browning Citori CX, which can occasionally be found for under $1500 new.  Don't feel bad about not having a Kreighoff, I had one for a while when I shot skeet... it was a pig.

Dang, Lumpy, your folks loved you fer sure!  ^_^

I think I got a cake. Same year, though...  :rolleyes:

On 3/21/2017 at 3:29 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Still using the 12ga. Browning Superposed Pigeon Grade, that my folks gave me when I graduated high school in 1969. 

OLG

You gots some schooling lol !

• 2 weeks later...

Got it!   :)

After a mere ten days for the state mandated "cooling off period" I finally picked up the new Franchi yesterday.  

And golly gee... just think of all those endangered clay pigeons who were spared by my having to take that time to cool off~!   silly

I'm thinkin' I'm going to enjoy it. But...! It did come in a hard case that's the most ghastly, hideous orange you can imagine.  Won't be losing that one on a snow bank!  :huh:

20160319134756-2560.jpg

Archived