SASS Wire Forum

What is the procedure for getting a special side match at eot

Blackey Cole

I would like to know what procedures are required to have a special side match at eot.  I would like to see a josey  Wells Side match at eot .  In my thinking it could offset the plainsman side match using either different burm at a period either prior to plainsman or after or use the same berms .

i know rules tend to be specific to each match that dies these event much like how wild bunch was done prior to being accepted formally then promoted after a couple years.  But basically it is shoot with all revolvers two extra in place of the rifle one substituted for the shotgun if four or five sg are used.  The first twoare from holster, the second pair I could see coming from a doc holiday type rig where the holster is suspended from the shoulder vertically or at the same angles as main match belt holsters, the third would definitely need to be stage I think those without the proper holsters for the second pair would also be allowed to stage them. 

Match ammo is 10-10-4 or 5 as required per stage

the pistol revolvers are just like main match revolvers as far as rules go.

therifle revolvers are loaded just like the pistol revolvers and either holstered or staged as required if staged they would be staged where the rifle would be stage if one would have been used.

the shotgun revolvers are loaded at the loading table assistants can help transfer the firearm if the shooter is transferring the rifle revolvers safely. Amount of rounds loaded for this revolver depends on the number of targets on the stage.  As a note I've seen it written where the rules state a hit is all that is needed like the buckaroo tule.  The thoughts were to allow lighter rounds for smaller cartridges for the femine side of group.  

Target distance will br standard distance for the match. Also if a shotgun aerial target is used then the JW guys will not load or shoot those.

another reason for the popularity of this even are the number of individuals with shoulder damage that either can not or should not be shooting the long guns either in a temporary while being treated or permanently after receiving the news that it isn't gonna get any better and those that have the revolvers or can borrow them and shoot it because they like shooting single action shooters.

Misty if you have control let me know what is needed done to have this as an alternative to all the speed event side matches.  The only event that day that isn't a speed event is the plainsman event and if setup correctly I really would like to shoot four stage plainsman event in the morning break for lunch and swap out gear and shoot the josey wells match I. The afternoon.  I have several guns that I bought for the speed events and the first time I tried shooting the event it was a derringer and pocket pistol match I figure ok I might be able to go and enjoy this. I get to the stages and three or four are there s hooting it over and over to get their best run I don't mean get up go to unload table clear guns then head to the loading table load up wait to be called to the line and shoot. No they co shoot five runs each time the go through loading and clearing the guns on the line. Everyone was happy with this because they all did it.  And whatever happen to the first run counts for the award the rest are for bragging rights no if you shoo a 100 runs and that last run is the fastest run of the day it wins the award that doesn't sound right to me.  So plainsman is the only event on sidematch day I'll even concider shooting after that that's why I got to thinking about a similar even that could work with plainsman and I thought of the josey wells event would fit perfectly that would give somone who doesn't want to waste their time shooting the speed events to have a enjoyable day on sidematch day.  Plus it allows those that are on ir from long guns to still shoot a mini match at eot.

please let me know what needs to be done and if needed I'll do it recruit the number of shooters you want pitition and the number of shooters loan gear if needed with commercial ammo, written the stages finalize the rules per ROC requirements as I'm not a renewed ro I wouldn't be able to ro it but I'm sure we can find a current ro to be with us I recuit bodies for setup and tear down if required etc.  

really would like to see more mini matches on side match day.  If it wasn't for the rule closing the range early so some may drink alcohol while we still have several hours of daylight that could be used and these mini matches could be scheduled after the 430 range closure time starting at 5pm you should be able to shoot four stages before dark.

Have you been to side match day at EOT? There is so much going on, you really can't do it all in one day. I don't personally think that their side match offerings are lacking anything at this point. As far as the rang close time, it's not just so people can drink. There is a lot of work that has to be done in that time to prep for the next days events. 

Blackey, thank you for your inquiry and I appreciate the time you have taken to post this question. Misty,Lassiter and myself just finished reviewing the schedule for side match day at EOT and I promise that it offers a full day of shooting events. From Cowboy Sporting Clays to Speed Rifle we believe that we are offering a excellent variety and that there something for everyone. As Smokestack pointed out you literally cannot do it all. There is much to be done to prep for the first day of main match when the range is called cold. Again appreciate the question but we currently have a full schedule. Thank you.

Duece thanks for responding.  My point was that there wasn't enough going on that you could do it and have time left over was that other than plainsman everything falls into one of two categories shotgun and speed events.  Not all enjoy those or are fast enough to win them the way they are conducted.  I don't remember when we stop using the first run for awards but it has happened enjoy your side match day I'll find something to do elsewhere that day if it continues to be speed runs and shotgun day it's not for me.  But plenty do like it  depending on the lineup I might try plainsman again if it's organized well.

As a personal side note I love fastest time period. I know full well the practice and skill set it takes to achieve some of the awesome things our shooters can do. I would never disrespect a shooter by implying that their run somehow is less impressive because it was not their first one. I NEVER get to put live rounds down range outside if a match so as a guy that loves to shoot I appreciate the chance to shoot a bunch. For me first time only or worse yet call your run gives me the least value for my entertsinment dollar.

Archived