SASS Wire Forum

Speeding Ticket...

My first traffic cite complaint was for making the person cited, miss their flight. :o

I stopped'em for do'n 65, in a 35 zone.

Never mind the 2 FTA's, suspended DL and warrant..... 

Yup-All my fault the flight was missed.:rolleyes:

I told'em free room and board was only fair-I took'em to jail.:lol:

OLG

Everyone seems to be overlooking one little sentence........... " He said he was the last in a string of vehicles, matching their speed, "

Notice he didn't say he was going 55, didn't even imply it, he was matching their speed!  You see it all the time, several vehicles speeding then another joins the pack then another and before you know it you have half a dozen or more vehicles speeding right along thinking there is safety in numbers.  Since all we have to go by is what is said above, I would guess the kid is more upset about being picked out of the pack instead of the leader of the pack.

Just because a pack passes by going 80 or 90, doesn't mean that you can file in line doing the same speed and some how rationalize that it's OK since you are just going with the flow of traffic!

I would think this is closer to the truth than cops being on drugs, etc!

On March 9, 2017 at 5:14 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

The Kid is stunned. Doubly stunned; first off, he claims he was not driving that fast

So the Kid wants to contest the ticket.  Not because he thinks the two fields of incorrect information should invalidate the ticket, but because he claims he was NOT driving at that speed. Rather, his thought is that the incorrect information on the citation could support his contention that the officer not very attentive, and also likely made an error in his judgement of the Kid's speed.

The Kid may have not actually stated he was going "55", but he did state that he was not driving that fast.  He denied going that fast twice in the OT.

..........Widder

On 3/10/2017 at 5:22 PM, Henry T Harrison said:

And you will have successfully p***ed off the judge guaranteeing a guilty verdict

Only if the judge is a complete idiot who doesn't care if he is over turned at a higher court. The fact that the police officer wrote the wrong name as the owner of the vehicle, and didn't know where he was when he wrote the ticket are enough to toss the ticket. It doesn't matter if the driver was doing 35 or 55, as the officer's state of mind at the time of the ticket writing is in question. If the police officer couldn't fill out a citation correctly at the time, everything that happened is in question. The police officer cannot claim that the mistakes on the citation are "de minimis" (trivial, like slightly mis-spelling a place name). In this case, there are factual errors on the citation, which should be enough to get the ticket tossed. In court with an experienced judge, the judge will likely stop the questioning when it becomes apparent that the citation is flawed. If the judge is inexperienced, and thinks the flaws in the citation are de minimis, or just likes police officers, the rest of the questioning is to bolster the fact that the police officer wasn't using the radar gun correctly or was in a state that impaired his judgement.

The important thing to do when questioning the police officer is to stay calm. Don't get mad. Ask him to clarify answers that you know are wrong. Follow your script. Get your points in. If you lose, pay the fine. If you believe you didn't get a fair shake at the hearing, appeal it. Honestly, there is little to lose by going to the hearing.

If you're going to go to trial on this,you will need to document the actual road that the incident occurred on.  You can subpoena the radio traffic recording of the traffic stop.  There may also be GPS tracking on the officer's patrol car.  You can subpoena the specific date and time and show where the officer's car was during the traffic stop.   Since the officer appeared impaired, it is quite likely he was exhausted.  Probably from working part time jobs.  If the officer had been working on 4 hours sleep, that would explain a lot.   Our department required us to turn in a log of dates and times we worked part time jobs monthly.  In my state, Georgia, each specific road that speed detection devices could be used on had to be listed by the DOT.  Is the officer's radar certification current and has the radar used been calibrated and certified?   

I really shouldn't be giving away all this inside information.:unsure:

Most of us consider ourselves to be good, safe drivers that follow all traffic laws.

Then there is a group of us that look in the mirror and admit we are not always the perfect driver we would like to believe we are.

I always remember what Sammy Davis Jr. said to a group on inmates in prison once... "I am not guilty of what I am in prison for. But Load help me if they ever caught me for everything else I have done.":D

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:08 AM, Deadeye George said:

Everyone seems to be overlooking one little sentence........... " He said he was the last in a string of vehicles, matching their speed, "

Just because a pack passes by going 80 or 90, doesn't mean that you can file in line doing the same speed and some how rationalize that it's OK since you are just going with the flow of traffic!

I would think this is closer to the truth than cops being on drugs, etc!

Ditto.

My daughter learned a very expensive lesson $200.00 about when driving in line of cars that are speeding the one that tries to pass everyone else gets a ticket. In a construction zone no less!!!

Last year we were visiting kid in Maryland. The Interstate highway we were on went through Maryland, Virginia and Pennsylvania so I never knew exactly where we were at. I was in the middle lane of a line of cars driving 80 mph when a State Trooper passed us in the inside line easily driving close to 90 mph with no emergency lights on. My Son that lives there assures me that everyone drives 80 mph and you have to drive that fast to avoid getting hit.  

I can't count the number of times when I was going up I tried to use the excuse "Everyone else does it" to my Mother.

Kid needs to man up, pay the ticket and not be the last car in a line of cars that are speeding.

I got pulled out of mid line of a pack. Asked the Officer--"Why Me". His answer was honest-- he said"The bright company logo on the truck caught his eye and he can't pull over everybody." The traffic in that area typically was 15-20 over the limit that time of day. A great spot for "Quota Time"!

Lol.  John Barleycorn, that video you posted was cool.  I worked the same Station with Simmons, and that was the last Captain I worked under.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane.  I was a Deputy for 32 years.  I only lost one ticket in court.  You get paid overtime at a rate of time and a half with a four hour minimum duration to go to court.  If my department gave the ticket, don't go to court hoping the officer will not show up.  Also If the CHP cites you, and you contest it, 99% of the time you will lose.  In California, If you go to court and waste their time, they add court costs and will usually max the fine depending on your composure.  It is important that you maintain your composure if you go to court and lose.  Usually those who get pissed off are the ones who get hammered.  

I'd like to comment here in  length. But I won't. ;)

Have a good day.

On 3/9/2017 at 7:19 PM, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

One other thing is to check and see if the officer had just given a ticket for the same speed.

The radar can hold a reading or so Im told.

I was once given a similar ticket. Crusing along on a two lane with too much traffic to pass.

Cited for 70 in a 55. No way I was going a bit over 55.  But guilty of driving a sporty car.

SOME cops are just way jealous. Im totally convinced of that.

Best

CR

Unfortunately, sporty cars have a tendency to be cop magnets

Officer's "expert" testimony against the son's testimony.  No witnesses, Judge will rule in Officer's favor.

Ain't saying your son is wrong and ain't saying Officer is right.  Just saying without witnesses your son will lose.

Son said he wasn't going "that fast" implies he was speeding.  Paying the fine with the reasoning that this is for the times he did violate a traffic law and didn't get caught or plead not guilty trusting the Prosecutor will reduce the charge.

• 1 month later...

Well.... the Kid had his "day in court" this morning.

Judge reduced charge from speeding (15 mph over limit) to "illegal stop."  And told the Kid that an "illegal stop" is not a moving violation - so no impact on driving record. 

Huh?  :huh:

Weird...  :mellow:

I was driving my Dodge Stealth on the Jersey Turnpike, speed limit 65.  There was a deputy who passed me and several others at 70+ and slowed to 55.  I passed him at 65 and continued on my way.  He repeated at 70 or more and slowed to 55.  This happened a few times and another car that "just looks fast", a Trans-Am passed the deputy and me also.  A bit down the road I saw the Trans-Am got pulled over.

I surely didn't want to get pulled over.  I had a few ARs and several 9mms and maybe 4000 rounds in the trunk (some hollow points), debatable if it's a locked trunk since it's only separated from the passenger compartment by a piece of cloth.

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Judge reduced charge from speeding (15 mph over limit) to "illegal stop."  And told the Kid that an "illegal stop" is not a moving violation - so no impact on driving record. 

Happens all the time. Good Judge will reduce speeding tickets all the time to things like defective vehicle, no seat belt, anything that does not put points on a license or be reported to that state's Department of Motor Vehicle. Usually when the Judge has never seen you before or see that nothing on your driving record.

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

That's good Hardpan. A lot better than it could have been.

1.  Did any of us speed and didn't get a ticket?  If yes see #2

2.  Did you ever get a speeding ticket that you thought wasn't unjustified?  If yes see #3

3.  Pay the ticket and figure it was for one of the times you didn't get caught.

I was driving down the highway at 85mph .

I seen lights way back behind me .

So I speed up a little to see if he would pull off the highway .

But he just keep coming and coming fast .

I started slowing down and he caught up with me .

When he pulled up behind my bike and stayed there ?

I thought what  the Frick he's after me !

I pulled over and shut off my bike and said how can I help you officer .

He started giving me the riot act .

I have been following you for 15 miles @#^$&   @*&^%#  and  #+$*& e ** 

Then he says give me one good reason not to give you a Ticket !

I said My wife ran off with a Police officer .

And I thought you was trying to bring her back !

Have a nice day Sr.

Hehehe .

Rooster .

I rented a car at Heathrow.  The rental agent paused to give me some advice. He said, "If you're driving down the motorway in the right lane (the high speed lane, mind you) and you see a red dot in your mirror, pull over to the left lane."  I asked "What is it a fire truck?" "No," he said, "Ferrari."

I know a guy,,,,,,, no, really.  This guy has a number of Ferraris.  One is an F4 or F40, I forget which.  It is the one that is a formula one race car with two seats and fenders.  12 cylinder, twin turbos, waste gates, racing tires with tread patterns.  Roof of the car is about 40 inches off the ground.   Pretty much an engine with seats attached to it.  He has some wild tales to tell about when he drives this car.  Every time he takes it out, he gets pulled over.  Never has had a ticket for speeding mind you.  He lives in the Milwaukee burbs.  He got pulled over once and patiently sat in the car waiting for the officer to come up and talk with him.  As he sat there, another squad car pulls up, then another, then another until there were 6 squad cars.  He is really not sure what is going on so he starts waving his arm out the window.  Finally an officer walks up and my guy asks why he was pulled over and why all the other squads.  The officer replies that they all wanted to see in person a car that costs more in taxes than they make a year.

There is an interchange off I-94 outside Brookfield where you can do off ramp, on ramp, off ramp, on ramp repeatedly.  Big clover leaf.  The street speed limit is 45 MPH, white sign.  The highway speed, at the time was 65 MPH, white sign.  The ramp speed is 40 MPH, yellow sign.  This guy does the posted limit on the highway and street but when he hits the ramps boosts it up to at least 100 MPH.  According to him, the signs in yellow are cautionary speed limits, not a legal limitation, whereas the signs in white are the legal limits.  He was doing his loop on the way home, pushed it up on the off ramp and then back down once he got on the street.  Drove for another half mile, almost home when a squad pulls him over.  Officer walks up to his window visibly shaking.  Says to my guy, I don't know how fast you were going on the off ramp but I was pushing 70, the rear end of my car wanted to come around on me and you were pulling away.  Gave my guy a severe tongue lashing, verbal warning and told him to knock it off.

He has been propositioned by gorgeous women, has been flashed by other women who want a ride in his car.  He build a temp/humidity controlled garage to store his cars in.  There are more stories but takes too long.

Archived