SASS Wire Forum

St. Louis, MO to Williamsburg, VA to Orlando, FL

It looks like I might actually get to take a real vacation for the first time in ~15 years.  The last one got the kabosh when the Mrs. lost her job the month before we planned to leave.  So far the plan is to head from St. Louis, MO to Colonial Williamsburg, VA then to Orlando, FL and back.

My question is:  What's in that triangle that me and the Mrs. should look for?  I think there's an armor museum in Danville(?), VA worth seeing and we'll probably spend some time in Jamestown, VA but after that what would you folks with more vacationing experience recommend?

Thanks,

Angus

p.s. I'm sure there will be offers to "come and shoot with us", but the Mrs. is not a shooter so I must politely decline in advance.

In Virginia:  Colonial Williamsburg, the Jamestowne Glasshouse (and gift shop), the USS WISCONSIN in downtown Norfolk.

Orlando area:  Kennedy Space Center in Titusville) - if you can get a tour of the old Apollo launch stations, even better.

No matter where you look in the Williamsburg area you will find something of interest from the colonial era to the old south and the Civil War. I'd skip the Space Center, unless it's changed it's a huge expensive rip off. The bus tour which was the only way you can go was so bad no one got off the bus for the last two stops. It was over $400 for the four of us to visit. Never again

Be careful of Virginia's firearms laws

Looking at your probable route, I would say that if you enjoy horses, then the Kentucky Horse Park would be one option. The Patton Museum at Ft. Knox would be a second option, not far from Louisville. If you want to detour north a couple of hours, the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB is amazing, but really hard to see it all in one day.

Olustee battlefield just east of Lake City, FL. 

My sympathies on having to go to Orlando. ;)

Outer banks along the North Carolina coast.

Colonial Williamsburg is a nice place to visit. Stay in Williamsburg and drive to Jamestown and Yorktown via the Colonial Parkway. For the "colonial" section of Williamsburg they have tried to keep it as period correct as possible. Employees all in costume, housing codes strictly enforced. People actually live on Duke of Gloucester St. so don't try to open doors unless there is some kind of sign on the building. You can either pay for a guided tour or just walk around for free. Parking can be a challenge during tourist season.  Watch the speed limits. The city of Williamsburg is nice also, big enough to find whatever you need but small enough not to have that urban feel big cities have.

Jamestown has a fee to enter but is worth seeing. Yorktown has the battlefields. At Yorktown you can pay the fee or just drive around reading the signs at the many battlefields.

All in all a nice place to visit, with a pancake house every 20 feet.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I hadn't thought about the Patton Museum.  I'll need to choose between that and the armor museum (can't think of the name) in Danville, VA.

Nick's in Yorktown?  I'll have to keep an eye open for that.  (Heck, we've got to eat somewhere.)  We plan on spending a couple days in Williamsburg so I'm sure we'll hit a couple places around there.

The Mrs. has already been to Kentucky Horse Park a few times.  Battle fields would be really cool, but time consuming, so we'll have to see how our time management is working out.  If we manage to hit any battlefields Yorktown will probably be top of the list.

Too many neat places to see and not enough time.

UB, We've gotta go to Orlando because that's where the Harry Potter theme park is located.    :)

Angus

Archived