SASS Wire Forum

38-40 reloading issues UPDATED 3/15

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

.44-40 good cartridge for use with real powder ,,,, .38-40 great cartridge !!!

.38-40 WCF is the cleanest shooting cartridge with full case loads of Black Powder ...

Enjoy !!!

Jabez Cowboy

I had the same problem when I bought a USFA revolver some years ago. Finally got to talk to the owner there and he said he had the same issue and so he ground off the bottom of the sizing die so I had mine ground down about .030" and it seemed to help in most cases but once in a while I would still get one that just didn't quite want to chamber all the way. The Dillon shell plate thickness is part of the problem. I think another part of the problem is that chambers are being reamed a bit tighter today than historically since I never had an issue when loading for an original Colt or 1889 Marlin. Ultimatey I bought the cowboy dies and so far have had no problem.

You can fix the issue by seating your rnfp bullets a little deeper and using a lee factory crimp die or switching to truncated cone type bullets and seating them with only the cone showing.

41 minutes ago, two dot said:

You can fix the issue by seating your rnfp bullets a little deeper and using a lee factory crimp die or switching to truncated cone type bullets and seating them with only the cone showing.

Just be careful that deep seating doesn't cause feeding problems with your rifle ... To short can open a whole new can of worms ...

Jabez Cowboy

Probably a good thing you are doing this, as the Big Lube 30-40 bullet has a straight section in front of the crimping groove that is the same diameter as the rear of the bullet. A friend of mine had an older Uberti '66 in 38 special that would only chamber cartridges that were on the small side. So I pulled the barrel and ran a chamber reamer in it and now it chambers everything he loads for it. Didn't take out much, but it was enough.

Wyatt

been shooting the 38-40 going on 12 yrs now, went through all of the stuff that was mentioned. Shoot B/P in everything. Have 3 '73 rifles, 2 pr. pistols. Through it all I found out ; Uberti 38-40 rifles are "short chambered", don't know about now. I'm also a "Warthog", when I pack powder and bullet together the shoulder gets pushed out just enough to cause problems. Would end up with pistol ammo and rifle ammo, had to separate it.  Solution,,,,,,,,,,,, 1.finishing reamer,,, rifles and pistol chambers 2. run finished cartridges back through resizing die (no deprimer pin) B/P loads. My problems were solved. Even though it took me about 6-8 months. Also shoot 44-40 B/P once and a while , never had the problem I did with 38-40.

Shoot safe,

Isom

To OLG and Two Dot,

One of the things I tried was to seat the bullets deeper and they still had the issue. The bullets that were loaded in these commercial loads the guy threw in with the rifle have a band just above the crimp groove, about 1/32 wide, resulting in a seating depth about .03 deeper. This still didn't let the round chamber fully. As I stated above, it was only when I tapered the bullets a little to remove that area, they would seat fine.

Hey Lumpy,

I thought about that too, at first. My electronic caliper shows .400 and a half. The mic  shows .4006. I believe it's a combination of this bullet style and a tight or short chamber, which I guess, is not uncommon with this particular rifle.

Have you tried closing the bolt on a resized brass that hasn't been reloaded but has been through all the dies? I.e. Take a piece of brass run it through all your dies minus primer, powder and bullet if you still have the problem then you know it's the dies that need adjusting might have to remove part of the end of the die to get the transition done correctly.  I reload 38-40 all the time using Lee dies all four on a Dillon 550 with no problems I also check my rounds using a check gauge.

Hey Blackie,

I've eliminated the problem as due to resizing. My resized cases plop right in, no problem. It's the profile of the lead that is contacting the rifling, due to the rifle being short chambered (a common issue with Uberti 66's).

Hey Wyatt, Get the chamber resized, buy a case gauge , and make sure that the neck on the cases is where it should be. Compare it to a factory round that chambers. 

I went through a lot of problems before I got my rifle right. Sent it to Cody Conager and had to have the chamber lengthened .

I use a Dillon 550b and Hornady dies, Starline  brass , Big lube bullets and I only shoot real BP. The 38WCF is a great BP cartridge. Send me a pm if you still have problems.

Ok I was just trying to get were you are so it's the profile of the bullet(lead) that's engaging the rifling iHeartRadio of this with 38-55 s before because of the different setups that are not really standardized through out the various manufacturers.  So there is a solution the 38-55 s do where they relief the transition area some so the Sami spec round will chamber correctly and effortlessly.

Mad Dog and Blackie,

I'm going to see Jim Bowie at the Cowboy's and Indian store on Monday to have the chamber cleaned up so as not to have any future issues. Thanks for your help.

Mad Dog, I've got big lubes on order, should be here any day now, and am going to shoot BP as well.

Wyatt

Took the rifle to Jim Bowie on Monday, he called Tuesday afternoon to say it was ready. Talk about quick turn around. Picked it up today and as expected it works flawlessly. Also, got the Big Lubes in the mail today (thanks Springfield Slim). Talk about a good day.

Tomorrow will be spent loading up a batch of BP rounds and then out to the BLM land nearby to test and sight in.

I am a happy camper. Thanks you all for your assistance with this issue.

Wyatt Earp

1 hour ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

Took the rifle to Jim Bowie on Monday, he called Tuesday afternoon to say it was ready. Talk about quick turn around. Picked it up today and as expected it works flawlessly. Also, got the Big Lubes in the mail today (thanks Springfield Slim). Talk about a good day.

Tomorrow will be spent loading up a batch of BP rounds and then out to the BLM land nearby to test and sight in.

I am a happy camper. Thanks you all for your assistance with this issue.

Wyatt Earp

Hey Wyatt

ENJOY that '66 carbine I love shooting mine. You made the right choice!

Scout

Archived