SASS Wire Forum

Uberti '73 / 44-40 question

Just reloaded first two test rounds (no primer/powder).  Check for chambering in brand new Uberti 26" '73 already short stroked and action job.  Chambers fine with one little observation.  Round feels slightly "gritty" like it's dragging on something as it chambers.   Ejecting and inspection of the round shows longitudinal scratches along the length of the brass case below the bottle neck.  The same is noticeable on Black Hills factory rounds under the same conditions.  Once the round is  chambered and on the extractor, then slowly opening and closing the lever moves the round in and out of the chamber without any feel of "grit" or "scratching".  Actually no feel of the chambering at all, similar to my long time experience with .38 & .45 '66's & '73's.  I ran a brush and patches through bore to make sure it was clean.  Cleaned the magazine that did show some surface rust(what '73 doesn't).  Haven't had a chance to disassemble yet to get a light into the chamber for better visual.  I fired 20 rounds through it upon delivery and prior to handing over for short stroke and action job.  They felt rough chambering at that time.

I plan to disassemble, check it, then put several rounds through it.  But, until I get that done and while I'm sitting here in the saloon working on cocktail & corned beef menu for St Paddies day, I figured I'd take this long winded way of asking:  "Has anybody else had this experience with either a Uberti toggle link or this caliber that they could share their findings?"

I just changed out the magazine tube on my 44-40 as the rust in the tube was getting on the rounds and causing a failure to extract. But it was REALLY rusty. Breaking the edge on the front of the chamber seems to help things also, in my experience.

If the scratches go all the way to the rim, or nearly so, the cause would seemingly be at the mouth of the chamber. I'd look for burrs there. Polishing the chamber with a bore mop with something like Flitz or Simichrome might help as well.

Going bp are we?

By golly them some good ideas!  Specially lookin' at he length of the scratch.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Dick, SASS #12880 said:

If the scratches go all the way to the rim, or nearly so, the cause would seemingly be at the mouth of the chamber. I'd look for burrs there. Polishing the chamber with a bore mop with something like Flitz or Simichrome might help as well.

Going bp are we?

Well ah got them new Chili pistols ah need ta do somehting with.  mebbeFC FCD  BPGF or FM along with a little WBunchin'.

Archived