SASS Wire Forum

New wire

Russ T. Sites

4 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I have no idea. Like I said elsewhere, I didn't even know a change was coming. How in the heck did I get over 100 points? It must be a bad thing as I've been told I'm the "most hated person on the SASS Wire." :mellow:

How can that be? From my observance, you always appear to treat folks quite well. You've sure been helpful to me & I "Thank you"

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:
8 hours ago, Mink Shoals Bandit, #49388 said:

With the "new " look, how do you get "Home" ??  To the SASS home page.. The "home" at the top of the page doesn't work for me??

The link I previously saved still works. If you have the ability, in your browser, to add icons below the address (URL) line, go to the home page, here is a link http://www.sassnet.com/

When you are there, add it to the line of navigation shortcuts.

Thanks for the reply, I have the "link" for SASS in several places on my PC. I would think, and hope, the software builder or administrator probably intended the "home" icon at the top of the page would take you to the SASS "homepage", not the  sass.com/forums/  .........  ???

After surfing around on this now I know I hate it!!! :angry: Sucks big time!!!

Well one thing that is very silly about this new Wire is the bottom line on the statement at the top of the Wire "Home Page" that says;

"All postings will be deleted after 30 days"

In my opinion this is silly. How is anyone supposed to do searches on subjects or things that they are interested in? How will a new comer glean information regarding SASS and CAS if information disappears after 1 month? Does someone expect that folks will consistently answer the same questions over and over again when they are asked? How about when folks do a search on Google regarding a question about something that might actually guide them to this site and promote this sport but the information is gone. This is bad business acumen and a waste of informational resources.

:wacko::blink::unsure:

7 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I have no idea. Like I said elsewhere, I didn't even know a change was coming. How in the heck did I get over 100 points? It must be a bad thing as I've been told I'm the "most hated person on the SASS Wire." :mellow:

It is a rating system. The higher the number the better your "Community Reputation" what ever that is.  

This version of a forum tracks your popularity among other users.  Have no idea how the system ranks people but it seems to place a lot of emphasis on creating a popularity contest.

Personally I have no use for those kinds of meterics

Not very SASS friendly.  Can't get to any of the other parts of www.sassnet.net;  you have to either open a new tab or window.  If SASS paid money for this "upgrade", they didn't get their money's worth.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well one thing that is very silly about this new Wire is the bottom line on the statement at the top of the Wire "Home Page" that says;

"All postings will be deleted after 30 days"

In my opinion this is silly. How is anyone supposed to do searches on subjects or things that they are interested in? How will a new comer glean information regarding SASS and CAS if information disappears after 1 month? Does someone expect that folks will consistently answer the same questions over and over again when they are asked? How about when folks do a search on Google regarding a question about something that might actually guide them to this site and promote this sport but the information is gone. This is bad business acumen and a waste of informational resources.

:wacko::blink::unsure:

Howdy Pat, it's always said something similar, claimed they didn't have enough space to hold it all. Usually an old topic would stay around a few months then "poof". That's why we do have to keep going over and over  FAQ. However sometimes you could do a search and a topic would pop up from several years ago:huh:...... go figure:wacko: CAS City has all of it's stuff saved, great place get lube recipes and BP info. Good Luck:)

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

1 hour ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Howdy Pat, it's always said something similar, claimed they didn't have enough space to hold it all. Usually an old topic would stay around a few months then "poof". That's why we do have to keep going over and over  FAQ. However sometimes you could do a search and a topic would pop up from several years ago:huh:...... go figure:wacko: CAS City has all of it's stuff saved, great place get lube recipes and BP info. Good Luck:)

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

Thanks Jefro. Maybe I will drop by some time and check it out. :-)

Gents, it is because of the "Likes"...and it appears that label of "Community Status" has disappeared.

That means that someone is watching and making changes. It also means that "that someone" needs to address some other issues:

1. Thanks for some of the features of the New Wire. I like that you can post a photo now, be it small and limited in size.
  2. It would have been nice to have a forewarning. It would also be nice if someone from the service that provides the Wire or the Moderators would address some of the complaints as well as accept some kudos for the good things that have been done. 
  3. Deleting history after  30 days is ridiculous. If history is deleted, and we know it is because you cannot search for Ruger Vaqueros past Feb. 12th of last month, how is it expected that new folks with questions or people that want to expand their experience in SASS and CAS get answers if there is no history to search?
  4. Some of the features that we have been used to for DECADES are gone, like; Signatures, email notifications, searches, etc.
  5. How is it that history is deleted yet people are saying that they  can look at posts 10 years back and further? I tried that but can't figure out how they did it but there have been more than one post claiming that so I don't think they were pulling anyone's leg. What gives? Is history deleted or not?
  6. How is it that Allie Mo, a "Moderator" didn't even know a change even occurred? I find that very telling in how this new Wire came about. Not to beat my statement in item 2 into the ground but just to amplify it; I understand that the Wire is run by an IT service, or at least that has what I have been led to believe. Knowing the IT mindset as I do I am sure  someone will be reading this and thinking "Well buddy, you all don't pay the bill, SASS does and they  are the customer, not you all" Well, be that the case or not, the way this was done was not and is not "the Cowboy Way"...if that matters any more...

There, I said my piece. I understand how much work goes into something like this. We, or at least I, do appreciate the effort. It's just that we, the members of SASS and those that will be members do deserve some courtesy in regards to our forum. We are not the enemy. We are the reason for the Wire. We are the reason SASS has existed as long as it has. We are the reason that SASS will continue. I know that SASS and CAS was the darling of the gun industry for years as our sport generated a lot of money in all aspects of the firearms business. SASS and CAS are no longer in that status because "Tacti-Cool" is now the rage. How does SASS as a business expect to get back to being closer to the top when they make business decisions like the one that funded the creation of this new Wire and the way it came about? It takes a lot of work to put the Wire and forums like it together and keep them running and I understand that this is easier to do through a service. It takes a lot of the burden away from people that have other things to do. But it doesn't make sense to continually alienate folks if you expect those same folks to get on board with supporting the organization.

Okay, NOW I'm done. I had to get that off my chest. I was a loyal and active member of SASS for many years and I went away. I came back a few months ago so my perspective is that the SASS I knew has changed a great deal. In some ways better, in some ways worse. But the really and truly nice thing is The wonderful people that made me love SASS and CAS in the first place are still here. New faces and old, the Cowboy Way is not dead amongst the members and that is the reason we are all here.

Kindest Regards,

Pat Riot, SASS #13748 :FlagAm:

PS: I want my Signature back!

History is all gone .

And I think I might be also !

This New Format Sucks .

Only important I Can See is Posting Pics .

10 hours ago, Southpaw Gringo, SASS # 74217 said:

WOW! So much easier to post pics. I love it!

black powder.jpg

Gotta love Black Powder Night Shoots!  What a hoot!

7 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

History is all gone .

And I think I might be also !

This New Format Sucks .

Only important I Can See is Posting Pics .

I'll be spending less time here too, of course msybe that's GOOD news to some folks!!:P

11 hours ago, Lone Dog, SASS #20401 said:

As a card carrying Luddite of course I must hate it ugh

Me too!   I Hate it!!! I'll be spending a lots less time here, that's for sure.

Hi Folks,

I've been through a lot of software changes in a previous life. Your responses are very typical among users, especially when adequate training wasn't provided and major changes were made. Sometimes, even with in depth training, people resist change, unless they had a part in the design. So that may be normal.

Things are much easier for me today than yesterday. I do equate this to going from Windows 7 to 8. I set up 8 to be more like 7. Here, I'm adding navigation buttons to my address bar for the things that are no longer as easy to access. Unfortunately, when I get where I'm going I have to figure out how to use it. I would prefer the old version with photo posting to this version. However, in time, I'm sure we will all get accustomed to it.

To help y'all adjust, what do you think of an open Q and A thread pinned to the top of the forum for a while? I would try to keep it concise by deleting posts that do not ask or answer questions. Thoughts?

Regards,

Allie Mo

How do you only get the SASS wire forum?  It seems like this is bringing up stuff from what used to be the classifieds and saloon.

I really like the "hover" feature, where you can hover over the thread title and the first few lines of the post will appear.  Now you don't have to open the thread to see what the gist of the thread is.  A major improvement IMO.

Best regards,  

15 hours ago, Southpaw Gringo, SASS # 74217 said:

WOW! So much easier to post pics. I love it!

black powder.jpg

That is a Fantastic picture!!, I can't say enough how much I like that one!

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

To help y'all adjust, what do you think of an open Q and A thread pinned to the top of the forum for a while? I would try to keep it concise by deleting posts that do not ask or answer questions. Thoughts?

That is a fantastic idea, I already have a bunch of questions!

wud b a gud Idear to ave a q and a thred,,,,

Thanks to my pard Prairie Dawg, who shrunk my picture of my avatar. Nice work Dawg!! Much obliged!

(I still don't like this new format though):P

9 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Regards,

Allie Mo

Much Obliged Allie, I believe that would be very helpful to a lot of us & save repeat posts. Still can't buy that you are the "most hated" on the wire, look how much you are always willing to help.  JMHO from a GOFWG :wub:

Archived