SASS Wire Forum

Leaving loading table with loaded pistols holstered

Kit Carson, SASS 60183

Guns are all loaded, pistols are holstered, you're waiting your turn to shoot, and you walk away from the loading table to get something.

I've always thought this was a SDQ.

But I cannot find it in the rule books.

I do see "Not adhering to loading or unloading procedures". Is that it?

Just askin'

Kit

Guns are all loaded, pistols are holstered, you're waiting your turn to shoot, and you walk away from the loading table to get something.

I've always thought this was a SDQ.

But I cannot find it in the rule books.

I do see "Not adhering to loading or unloading procedures". Is that it?

Just askin'

Kit

YES...REF SHB p.23 #3

We say 6' just to reduce any argument.

Here we go again!

Pet Peeve Alert

There is NO specific distance from the loading table mentioned, in the rule books, when talking about the loading AREA

Each range is different. It would be nice if the range mentioned, at the shooters meeting, their distance from the loading table that constitutes the loading AREA to avoid confusion

Depends on how long your arms are....

:-)

I guess I've been lucky. Every place I've ever shot if the shooter has to leave the table he or she puts their loaded pistols on the table next to their loaded rifle and empty shotgun and walks away.

Common sense and courtesy have always prevailed around these parts, in my experience.

Here we go again!

Pet Peeve Alert

There is NO specific distance from the loading table mentioned, in the rule books, when talking about the loading AREA

Each range is different. It would be nice if the range mentioned, at the shooters meeting, their distance from the loading table that constitutes the loading AREA to avoid confusion

We do. 6'

I don't think we have to micro manage this question................you leave the loading table with loaded guns..............you are screwed SDQ. Doesn't matter one foot or five, you are out of there.

It varies...see post #10.

Then refer back to #4.

Yessir, there it is:

3. All firearms shall remain unloaded except under the direct observation of a Range Officer on the firing line or in the loading area.

Thank you PWB.

Now as to how far is far, I think "when you leave the loading area" is enough to allow for good judgement to prevail.

Good to leave those loaded pistols on the table til you're next up. But that's another post for another time.

Cheers.

Yessir, there it is:

3. All firearms shall remain unloaded except under the direct observation of a Range Officer on the firing line or in the loading area.

Thank you PWB.

Now as to how far is far, I think "when you leave the loading area" is enough to allow for good judgement to prevail.

Good to leave those loaded pistols on the table til you're next up. But that's another post for another time.

Cheers.

Negative. The Judge, SASS numero uno stated long ago that loaded pistols should go immediately back into the holsters where they belong, not being shuffled down the table where mayhem may happen. Many of us concur with this wisdom. Makes NO sense to be shuffling the pistols from one end of the LT to the other where muzzles may flip or the gun dumped right off the table etc etc. If a match requires the pistols to be shuffled until the shooter is next up please advertise this so I can defer attendance there.

Negative. The Judge, SASS numero uno stated long ago that loaded pistols should go immediately back into the holsters where they belong, not being shuffled down the table where mayhem may happen. Many of us concur with this wisdom. Makes NO sense to be shuffling the pistols from one end of the LT to the other where muzzles may flip or the gun dumped right off the table etc etc. If a match requires the pistols to be shuffled until the shooter is next up please advertise this so I can defer attendance there.

Please show me the rule that requires this.

There is no rule either way. Each club is free to dictate which protocol they prefer. My pistols never touch the LT, pull 'em one at a time, load 'em then stick 'em back in the holsters where they belong. Just what I prefer YMMV. No sense shuffling pistols down a crowded table along with the long guns IMNSHO.

​Some clubs DO require tabling loaded revolvers until the shooter is called to the stage to (I'm assuming) prevent the penalty for leaving the loading area with loaded firearms...but that would be a club/range rule for that location.

​I share your opinion of that practice.

​It is always recommended to table them if one has reason to leave the loading area after loading to avoid being SDQd.

Placing the LOADED pistols in leather immediately after loading is definitely not a SASS rule. Some clubs require that they not be holstered until shooter is called to the line. This is strictly a Club added rule, not a SASS rule. This is the most practiced way of handling it, and regardless of any and all arguments otherwise, it probably is in fact the safest way to handle it, and prevents the accidental brain fade that causes the SDQ for walking away from the loading table.

It is quite SASS legal to holster pistols immediately after loading, however you cannot leave the loading table, once this is done. If you do leave the table, (no stated distance, but a distance beyond 6 ft. should be sufficient to make a call), you are then in violation of SASS riles, and a SDQ is the penalty.

RBK

The way I look at it depends on how the stage is set. If it just a spool or folding table arm span distance would be to far arms length I'd to close as I normall have a stool for sitting and resting my back prior to going to the line so I try to place it just outside the single file zone next to the table and that allows others to move their guns up the table and I. Jut out of their way but I'm watching both the table and the stage. My reason for this distance is as follows.

For stages that have a permenate covered table the area under the covering is concidered within limits and that the same distance I place my stool under them

Placing the LOADED pistols in leather immediately after loading is definitely not a SASS rule. Some clubs require that they not be holstered until shooter is called to the line. This is strictly a Club added rule, not a SASS rule. This is the most practiced way of handling it, and regardless of any and all arguments otherwise, it probably is in fact the safest way to handle it, and prevents the accidental brain fade that causes the SDQ for walking away from the loading table.

What is the penality at these clubs if you holster at the table ? It would take me a couple of stages before I'd remember.

I personally do not holster pistols until it's time for me to shoot. My loading routine is to bring cartridges, rifle, and pistols to the table, load them, return cartridge box to the cart, and then take shotgun to the table. I never vary this routine. Always park cart near the loading table, so only takes a few seconds.

one of the rules I hate,,,, no definate answer,,,,sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winter is a long time going this year it seems....

I load, check, and then holster my six guns. One of the very few times I loaded them, set them on the table, and then picked them up and holstered, I had a barrel bang the table and spin the gun out of my hands on to the ground for a MDQ.

As far as how far is too far... I think the rules of thumb mentioned already are good, kicking distance, no more than 6 feet, or whatever. Loading areas vary and it's kind of a floating line in the sand based on conditions. I hesitate to bring up the 'I' word, but intent does play a factor in my mind. If a shooter is scooting out of someones way, or something like that, it wouldn't be useful to ding them with a penalty, but if a shooter is having a brain fade and takes off walking to their cart or whatever, that is what the rule is meant to address. In my opinion we don't need a hard and fast distance, we need to use some common sense.

As far as a club specific rule that pistols go back on the table until called to the line, personally I think that's silly, that's adding a rule to keep you from breaking another rule.

As far as how far is too far... I think the rules of thumb mentioned already are good, kicking distance, no more than 6 feet, or whatever. Loading areas vary and it's kind of a floating line in the sand based on conditions. I hesitate to bring up the 'I' word, but intent does play a factor in my mind. If a shooter is scooting out of someones way, or something like that, it wouldn't be useful to ding them with a penalty, but if a shooter is having a brain fade and takes off walking to their cart or whatever, that is what the rule is meant to address. In my opinion we don't need a hard and fast distance, we need to use some common sense.

As far as a club specific rule that pistols go back on the table until called to the line, personally I think that's silly, that's adding a rule to keep you from breaking another rule.

​EXACTLY!

I have a set routine for loading as well, bring everything up to the table, loading strips etc. once I finish loading, I drop off what I need to at the cart, head back, holster revolvers and there I stand until I go to the firing line.

Every club has different rules, but like others have said, common sense must prevail. Most clubs I shoot at, you are "away" from the table if you cant reach it with an outstretched arm. I feel that is a good rule, because if you can't reach the loading table, where exactly are you? anyway, I don't think there needs to be a set distance, but it was made known to me immediately on the first shoot, outstretched arm, if I can't reach the table, I'm considered away from it.

The clubs I shoot at have covered loading tables. You are considered in the loading area if you are under the cover. That can be 6-feet away from the table. This is a workable standard for these clubs.

Personally I think leaving the loading table area is more of a attitude than a distance.

Are you stepping away from the table to go do something, you left the area. Even if your cart is within 6 feet of the table.

Are you moving a step or two away from the table to give the next person in line room to load. (some tables are awful small) You did not leave the area.

Ref. my RO III

I hesitate to bring up the 'I' word, but intent does play a factor in my mind. If a shooter is scooting out of someones way, or something like that, it wouldn't be useful to ding them with a penalty, but if a shooter is having a brain fade and takes off walking to their cart or whatever, that is what the rule is meant to address. In my opinion we don't need a hard and fast distance, we need to use some common sense.

I wholeheartedly agree with the first part. I got "cautioned" by a very experienced shooter at Winter Range a few years ago because I took TWO steps to the side after loading to give the next shooter room at the table. I'm a big guy so the extra step is usually needed for me to get completely out of the way. But I was still there at the loading table, just two steps away instead of one.

For that reason I disagree with the second part. I think the rule does need to more precisely address the issue. I can't imagine how you could come up with a specific distance to cover all clubs, but I think some sort of wording to support the above could be added.

You need a baseball field chalking machine. Determine the distance from each loading table that a shooter is allowed to move from said table then make a chalk line equidistant from all sides of the table and state the boundaries in the shooters safety meeting. Problem/questions solved. You're either in or out of the "batter's box". :lol:

Here's an inexpensive one for your club:

http://www.sportsadvantage.com/true-liner-model-206-liner

Archived