SASS Wire Forum

1858 Rem: Uberti vs Pietta?

I did a quick search both on the Wire here and on Google. I have detected somewhat of a preference for Uberti over Pietta but I can't find any specific reference as to why.

Is there a consensus on preference and if so why is that?

Thank you.

My findings: Uberti has a drift adjustable front sight, Pietta has a fixed post pushed into the barrel. Uberti has much better rifling in the barrel, The Piettas' I have had were almost smooth bored. The fit and finish has been better on the Uberti guns.

Al

Ruger Old Armies, just saying.

A friend of mine bought 2 Uberti 1858 Remington's. The Uberti built ones have forged frames. The Pietta ones don't. Does it make a huge difference...I don't know, but that's what he wanted. He really likes them. I guess forged is stronger than cast, or I would think it is.

I have Piettas with No complaints.

Great guns and if ever needed .

Parts are in stock down the road at Cabela's everyday.

Had one of each ,,, Clamped the Pietta in the "Ransom Rest" best ten shot group at 25 yards was slightly bigger than 10 inches ...

But it shot 3 feet high ...

Put the "Uberti" in the rest and ten shots made one ragged hole at 25 yards , 3 inches below POA a few strokes with the file made that right ... I next set the gun to test it at 75 yards ten shots made a group of 3 1/8 inches ...

Jabez Cowboy

I brought a new Pietta and fortunately decide to disassemble and clean it. Good thing I did. I discovered it had a large, sharp burr on the inside of the slot in the frame that the hand rides through. If left it would have cut into the side of the hand and needed replacement. I removed the burr with a small flat hobby file but someone with less skill would have had to take it to a gunsmith.

I will likely buy more Pietta C&B revolvers but they will all get disassembled and closely inspected before I shoot them.

I have a pair of Piettas and they shoot just fine. However, the first time I tried to remove the screw holding the loading lever in place, I buggered the screw head. I was using a Grace gunsmithing screwdriver, so one might think that wouldn't happen, but it did and I then tried to remove it with an impact driver, but it just tore it up more. I decided it was simply not worth it to have it drilled out and probably helicoiled, so I just left it and I squirt Balistol behind the lever. It still shoots just fine and since I don't ever expect to sell it, it really doesn't matter.

Archived