SASS Wire Forum

Rooster Shooter grips

I ran a search on the forums but did not get any results. A Google search revealed one discussion in the Saloon that appeared to avoid this question.

A prospective shooter purchased a Cimarron "Rooster Shooter", a Uberti 1873 revolver that replicates the revolver that John Wayne wore in several films. It has simulated aged ivory grips that feature shallow looking finger grooves on the left panel.

Do these grips constitute an illegal modification? I don't think they constitute "target grips" so we are left to interpret whether the grips are "of the same basic shape as grips or stocks found on the original firearms".

What say you, O Wire denizens?

From a recent TG WIRE discussion:

"The ONLY "finger-groove" grips that have been approved are those on the Uberti "Rooster Shooter".

NONE of the aftermarket versions have been found to be legal...

FWIW - NONE of the aftermarket manufacturers have ever applied for a ruling, either."

Does the "rooster shooter" revolver have a modified Bisley frame with a standard SAA grip frame?

Does the "rooster shooter" revolver have a modified Bisley frame with a standard SAA grip frame?

I would suggest contacting either Uberti or Cimarron for that information.

The ROC was only asked to inspect & make a ruling on the grips.

Okay, y'all, here's the deal.

The original Rooster Shooter grips were done for Cimarron by Bar-S grips (the Tru-Ivory guy). SASS approved the mild finger grooves on that grip as legal. Then that guy at Bar-S either got into bad health (I think?) or something and has not been able to work. So for the past year (or 2?) the grips have been fit to the guns by Uberti as the guns are manufactured. The finger grooves are a little deeper on those. At Winter Range someone from SASS looked at the grips and said they are NOT approved. When I joined SASS there was a saying that was to the effect that if John Wayne did it, it is okay. But I do not know how these newer grooves compare to John Wayne's original gun. I doubt that too many people shoot these in SASS, but for those that do, it might get a little confusing if some are approved and some are not.

The TG WIRE discussion was a few weeks prior to WR 2017.

The referenced ruling was made a few years ago regarding the original grips (as made by Bar-S/Tru-Ivory).

The latest version of the grips was checked out at this year's WR and, as verified by Abilene's post and emails between the combined WB/ROC, NOT APPROVED.

Wow, glad I asked. I know that this particular shooter purchased the revolver within the last year so it's probably not the approved version.

Thankee kindly, PWB and Abilene.

i asked this question about groove grips on out local clubs forum and was told the same thing as has been said here. I was looking at some grips from

Arizona custom grips on ebay. Seems like the issue is the deep of the grooves. http://www.oakridgeoutlaws.org/forum/index.php?topic=286.15

Kinda funny SASS dont allow A Pare of Grips.

But a Short stroke guns is OK .

Archived