SASS Wire Forum

A TO's nightmare

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

Pretty Boy is one of the best TO's I have had the pleasure to shoot with. I would gladly be on his posse any day, any match.

Thanks for taking the timer. That responsibility Normally messes up a lesser person such as myself.

+ 1

Pretty Boy is one of the best TO's I have had the pleasure to shoot with. I would gladly be on his posse any day, any match.

Thanks for taking the timer. That responsibility Normally messes up a lesser person such as myself.

I would have to say I've heard stop, squib more than cease fire unless the To was a nra range officer also and worked many nra events.

We are way off the topic of the original post.

Just for the record...... I am more inclined to use STOP when I am talking to the shooter and CEASE FIRE when I want the entire range to stop shooting. (Yes you can hear me two posses away when I want to be heard). We have had ATVs drive onto the range and directly into the line of fire. I once had a person walk onto the back berm. I think Satan heard me say CEASE FIRE that day.

why did I stop in the middle of the stage??? because I was holding his rifle,,,,, and he was cooked,,,, like I said in post 1 yes I cudda said something better,,,, wasn't sure what I said first,,, and wasn't trying to beat up on the shooter, who as I found out later was a newer shooter,,,

this was a ,,,,, can you imagine starting our a major shoot like this,,,, post

I didn't get a chance to really talk with either shooter afterwards,,, but have since,,,

I hate to give out dqs,, but not as much as recieving them,,, or others recieve them...

sometimes read the original post and heed requests and don't go off on rants

I was TO at a state match and the posse Marshall one year and Had to give a good shooter a SDQ for the 170. When moving downrange, he was to stage a his empty rifle on a hay bale and when he put it down, he laid it across the bale making it at 180 degrees. It was not seen until we walked back up the stage and another posse member was about to pick it up and I had him leave the rifle as it was pointed into the side berm and I made the shooter come over and look at the gun. He agreed it was past the 170 and took his licks. I hated to do it but it was a major match and that happens sometimes.

I got a SDQ one time at a state match. I had new holsters and when I reholstered my first revolver, I set it across the holster pointing downrange. I drew my second revolver and as I aimed at the first target and cocked it, I felt something sliding down my leg. I looked down and there was my first revolver laying on my foot. I decocked my revolver, holstered it, pick up my revolver off the ground and holstered it and went to the unloading table. Everybody was looking at me funny as nobody saw my revolver on the ground except me and one other guy in the back of the posse. It happens and so far, it has been my only SDQ and I have not got a MDQ yet but my time will come. If you read this closely, I should have had a MDQ for decocking, but at that time everybody missed that including myself. I probably could have finished the stage and went to the unloading table before anybody noticed my revolver on the ground had I not felt it hit my leg. Everybody saw me holster but nobody noticed that I had set it on top of my holster. Oh well, things happen.

The worst call I ever had to make was MDQ a lady when she shot her 97 and it flew out of her hands and landed behind the TO and herself. The lady was at her first shoot since she had shot herself at a match the previous year and was known for having gun problems and safety violations. I was the Posse Marshall and the TO made a big scene over my call including saying some thing not in the Cowboy way and I should have done the same to him. He got the match director and the match director backed up my call. When I talked to her about it, I felt bad about it but sometimes you have to protect the club and the other shooters. She was ok with it and left the match and later when the board for the club convened, we sent her a letter informing her that she was not longer allowed to shoot at our club unless she could show that she had gotten formal gun training on safe gun handling. Unfortunately for her, we were not the first club that had told her not to come back.

Just to clarify my original comment I made in Post #20 where I posted “Why did you stop him in the middle of stage? It was not a safety issue if the gun was empty.”

The reason I would not stop the shooter is because the safety violation had been corrected and did not pose a danger to anyone. When the T.O. caught the rifle as it started to drop and reset securely so it would not drop again the problem no longer existed.

Also while the rules call for immediately stopping the shooter it is not practical to stop a shooter that is moving and firing 24+ rounds from four guns in 20+/- seconds.

And this

The replies show that few T.O.s use the range command required in the SASS rules and the wide variety of commands that are used may create confusion on the part of the shooter.

The rules specify use of the words “CEASE FIRE.” As I have had formal instructor training by the NRA and spent many years on the firing in shooting events and law enforcement training and qualification using “Cease Fire” is the natural command for me to use.

The point about using “CEASE FIRE” being so broad as to cause other shooters on other stages to immediately stop shooting deserves consideration. The command “STOP” is an action verb that demands an immediate response by the shooter and will not generally affect shooters on other stages.

This has been a very good topic by C.C. Hopefully some T.O.s will reconsider using commands such as “Hold it, come back, whoa” when they want the shooter to immediately stop shooting the stage and use the command “STOP!”

Just for your information - Both CEASE FIRE and STOP are acceptable commands to be used and are specifically covered in the an RO-II course. This is why it recommended that they be taken every 2 years by everyone but most especially those running the timer at major events.

The rule for deliberately ignoring a STOP command will be a Match Disqualification.

Rule Clarification made at Dec 2016 Summit:

Willful failure to comply with a “cease fire” or “stop” command given by, and while under the positive control of, the CRO/TO will result in a Match DQ

Both CEASE FIRE and STOP are acceptable commands to be used and are specifically covered in the an RO-II course.

Which is why I said “Hopefully some T.O.s will reconsider using commands such as “Hold it, come back, whoa” when they want the shooter to immediately stop shooting the stage and use the command “STOP!”

and what is to say a shooter won't spin around when he hears stop!

TO ing is not a perfect situation we do the best we can each time we take the timer,,,,

TO ing is not a perfect situation we do the best we can each time we take the timer,,,,

+ 100

Ta Daaa!! :D Doesn't matter if you hollered "Hey, Who's yer Daddy" and the shooter turns around to say "Who Me??" or "Who's YOUR Daddy" it is still up to the shooter to maintain muzzle control. Nothing the TO did or said caused the shooter the penalty. Still a good thread and reminder for all of us that run the timer to do the best we can ;) . Thanks CC. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Archived