SASS Wire Forum

Maryland & 4th Circuit: "Assault Rifles" Not Protected under 2A

Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

I have but one word for the law and subsequent decision: Ridiculous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4251126/Assault-weapon-fans-US-dealt-legal-setback.html\

I suggest this will end up in the SCOTUS...hopefully after Gorsuch is confirmed.

CD

Another typical brainless knee-jerk hyper-emotional reaction from the left. Should we be surprised? No. Should we be concerned? Yes. Vigilant? Always.

All the more reason to put conservative justices on the SC. Originalist, pro Constitution, law understanding and law abiding justices.

Welcome to the fun that is living in this state. Or, let me give you a cleaner example of the madness:

A few years ago, a buddy of mine and I went to a FFL together, to do paperwork on new purchases that we'd bought online and shipped to a LGS (only b/c of availability).

I did paperwork on 2 new Colt SAAs, to add to my growing collection of them. (Can't really blame SASS, actually the SAAs led me to SASS, not the other way around)

He did paperwork on a "new" (at the time) rifle, a Tavor.

Thanks to MD's "sensible" gun laws, I had to wait ~ 15 days for approval to take mine home, his was cash and carry.

On the bright side, we have good organizations (such as Maryland Shall Issue, MSI) working hard on our behalf here.

Sounds like the 4th Circuit overturned Heller and Miller

The 4th Circuit totally ignored Antonin Scalia's opinion for the majority in Heller. The 4th's opinion while not citing the minority opinion of Ruth Bader Ginsberg is essentially the same. Miller hasn't been cited in any 2A SCOTUS cases. I doubt that any of the briefs cited Miller since Heller created the Common Use standard and the weapons in the case are MSR's. For more than 10 years have been no. 1 long gun sold. Miller was a NFA case where the opinion overturned the convictions of 2 gangsters who were busted for possessing a short barreled shotgun wo/paying the $200 tax to the Commerce Dept. In Miller SCOTUS's instructions to the lower court was to determine if the short barreled shotgun was an infantryman's weapon. If it was so determined then the NFA's inclusion of short barreled shotguns in definitions of destructive devices is moot. This was never ajudicated; because, the defendants took dirt naps before the retrial. Assuming SCOTUS would recognize Miller today, select fire versions of MSR's would not be covered by the NFA.

Archived