SASS Wire Forum

Rotator cuff surgery

Buffalo Dick, SASS #12880

I had the surgery October 16, had one muscle completely detached and another partially torn. I was wondering how long it took for those who have had this surgery to come back to a full recovery?

I'm interested in this one too Buffy!

Had surgery December 20th to repair a massive tear on my rotator cuff. Took three anchor points and a cadaver muscle graft over the whole thing to repair it. Been doing physical therapy now for 3 weeks. Improves a little bit each day. I'm being told that I should make significant progress in 12-16 weeks, but could take a year to get back to "near" normal.

I've had four rotator cuff surgeries. About 3 month to be fuctional and 6 months to a year for total recovery depending on severity. The physical therapy is the key. It should be started before the surgery to get blood flow to the muscles/tendons i the rotator cuff.

I had rotator cuff surgery,surgeon said mine was in top ten worst he had repaired.Took about 12 months before I was able to shoot. Did physical therapy before and after,this was key to recovery.Best to not rush and have to start over or possible more surgery.My shoulder feels almost normal now.

I had surgery last March, Doc said it was a significant total tear. I knew I had a minor tear for years and the "Bursa" had a rough place that rubbed the tendon and caused a bind when I raised my arm overhead, minor discomfort that I could put up with. Well, the surgery reattached the tendon and smoothed the "Bursa", and the old torn tendon was somewhat atrophied/shortened but also reattached but not at full length. Physical therapy 3 days a week for a couple months, then 2 days a week a couple months, stopped therapy sessions after 6 months but continued at home. Had complete shoulder movement with no impingement or pain, but no strength shoulder level and above. I began shooting again in August, Gunfighter style, 2 matches a month. Experienced muscle fatigue in shoulder by 4th or 5th stage and really strained to complete match, but I did.

1 year now since surgery, I have better shoulder movement than I have had for many years, but still some shoulder muscle fatigue when arm is at shoulder level or above with activities or chores. No problems with pistols, but have gone to really reduced shotgun loads, and use Marlin or Rossi rifles, Uberti '73 and '66 are heavier rifles with some muscle fatigue by 5th stage...but improving.

RRR

Hey, Buffy!!

It took six months to get full range of motion back comfortably. Another six or a little more to recover all of my strength! In retrospect, IT WAS WORTH EVERY OUNCE OF PAIN AND ALL OF THOSE HOURS OF REHAB!!!

I had three tendons separated from the bone completely and the fourth, (the bicep tendon) stressed with several partial tears.

Personal experience: 6 months to regain 80%, 6 more months to get the other 20%. That was 20 years ago. New procedures may have shortened this time, but I'm thinkin" not by a lot based on folks I know who've had it done recently.

As Sarge 2 said, ya gotta be dedicated and do the therapy. And that means way beyond the 6 weeks you get with the PT provider on your insurer's dime.

It's hard, but worth it. Good luck!

I had the surgery October 16, had one muscle completely detached and another partially torn. I was wondering how long it took for those who have had this surgery to come back to a full recovery?

Maybe 6 months for me, however I had more damage than just the rotator c. Long time ago Motorcycle went one way and I went another way. Yesterday I had a check up with my orthopaedic clinic and of interest he mentioned that 'standard surgery is now laparoscopic. But then you do not get the long scar to show others!

I had RC surgery in 2003. They went in at 3 locations to repair the damage and remove all the debris. Took about 3 months to really get going, about 6 months in was doing great.

Keys to success:

1) Stick with physical therapy

2) Keep in shape

Mine is not what it was before surgery and it lets me know it when I:

1) over work it

2) don't keep myself in shape

3) sleep on my right side too long

There are so many variables it makes it virtually impossible to answer your question accurately. Your overall physical condition prior to surgery, how bad the injury was, what type of surgery was required to repair the injury, your ability to perform physical therapy after the surgery, etc. all play a role in your recovery.

As others have said, the better physical shape you're in prior to surgery, the more quickly you'll heal afterwards. Since you already had your surgery that's kind of a moot point. But you can still do yourself a favor by taking the post surgery physical therapy VERY seriously. The first thing you'll want to concentrate on is range of motion. That's the primary thing people neglect and what causes the most heart ache years later. If not already doing so, they're going to have you walk your fingers up a wall so as to stretch your arm as high up as possible. Do this religiously. Keep doing it until you're 100% recovered. That may take up to a year but you'll be happy you stuck with it.

When it comes time to regain strength, do NOT over do it. You could set yourself back months if you dive right in like an Olympic lifter. Slow and steady will definitely win this race.

I had my rotator cuff repaired via orthoscopic surgery but had one of my biceps tendons relocated via opening me up. I was in excellent physical shape prior to surgery but it still took almost a full year to get back to 100%.

another cowpoke here with 4--2 on each shoulder.

Took 6 months on average and then gingerly handled the long guns at the matches

I learned after the 4th one: don't have to lift things for people--nothing to prove. Two trips with lighter loads much better than one with a heavy one. Surgeries are expensive and take $$ from my gun fund.

cr

My surgery was back in the mid 80s I had the surgery in late June early July as I recall. I pcsed the following April and was just getting back full use of it then I rembere it was a couple of months before the Ortho would let me do much with the other arm as they are connected the a few more months before I was able to take it out of the sling thing I was in then several more months before I had full use. I've had back surgery and the recovery time was a lot faster. I say it took nine months or better to recover and another year before I had no Ill effects from the surgery as I remember being in Alaska and the starter on my Chevy truck died and I crawled under to remove it and my shoulder let go under the weight of the starter it took some more Theropy to strengthen it again.

I know it's not quite the same, but I had a total shoulder replacement last November 21. Did 2 months of PT and still do it at home. Full range of motion and no pain now. Having my other shoulder done next Tuesday. As the others have said, the PT is the key to success.

I'm interested in this one too Buffy!

Had surgery December 20th to repair a massive tear on my rotator cuff. Took three anchor points and a cadaver muscle graft over the whole thing to repair it. Been doing physical therapy now for 3 weeks. Improves a little bit each day. I'm being told that I should make significant progress in 12-16 weeks, but could take a year to get back to "near" normal.

Dutch: I hope you are making fast improvement along with Buffalo Dick. I would have tried copper bracelets or copper tape at least one season before going along with the surgeon. But, the exercise you get therapizing will no doubt make it all worth while.

Thanks Fargo! With all the damage that I had, I doubt that the copper would have done much.

I may not be able to start the season in March, but I hope to be out shooting with you real soon!

Thanks for the responses, it helps me know what's ahead. If anything, I'm doing pretty well. I wanted to shoot Back at Cha last year and put the surgery off until after that match. I only shot a handful of matches all last year. I did do some weeks of physical therapy before my surgery and another two months worth after (about twice a week strting about three weeks after the surgery). In addition I did exercises a couple of times a day. My range of motion came back very well, the strength rebuilding is going much slower. My therapist said i could stick with every other day on the strength exercises and could discontinue the range of motion stuff but after a couple of weeks I felt like I was tightening up and went back to both the strength and range of motion exercises. When my doctor released me from treatment he said I could do whatever I wanted to within reason. He said I might have some pain but I wouldn't cause any damage unless I did something "stupid."

I had been shooting some .22 auto pistols for weeks just for sight and trigger time and last week I tried reloading and shooting cowboy guns. On Sunday I loaded a couple of hundred .38's on the 650 and about a hundred .45acp's on the square deal. I went to the local range and shot four 10-10-4 stages with pistols, .38 73 short rifle and both my SKB and '87 shotguns. I also shot about 80 .45 acp's out of my 1911 one-handed all with no ill effects. Weather permitting I'm going to shoot a Wild Bunch match on Saturday. I'll probably shoot two-handed for now, my strength is still pretty low. A month ago I would have had a hard time just holding a 1911 up one-handed,

From what I read, I'm going to continue the exercises for at least another six months.

My therapist said i could stick with every other day on the strength exercises and could discontinue the range of motion stuff but after a couple of weeks I felt like I was tightening up and went back to both the strength and range of motion exercises.

Very wise move. Listen to your body. ALWAYS listen to your body. For the rest of your life pay attention to that range of motion. Once you lose it, it's probably gone forever.

On Sunday I loaded a couple of hundred .38's on the 650 and about a hundred .45acp's on the square deal. I went to the local range and shot four 10-10-4 stages with pistols, .38 73 short rifle and both my SKB and '87 shotguns. I also shot about 80 .45 acp's out of my 1911 one-handed all with no ill effects. Weather permitting I'm going to shoot a Wild Bunch match on Saturday. I'll probably shoot two-handed for now, my strength is still pretty low. A month ago I would have had a hard time just holding a 1911 up one-handed,

Wow, you're doing very well. Maybe even a bit ahead of schedule. Whatever you're doing, keep it up, it appears to be working! :)

Archived