SASS Wire Forum

Shooters Handbook Questions #3 - Gunfighter?

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

IMO, since the rule change, Senior Duelist is more a sub-category of Duelist, as is Double Duelist, than a sub-category of Senior. Falling in line with how the other "unofficial" age restricted style-based category rules are set up. But... I could be wrong. Heck, I'm still waiting on Silver Senior Frontiersman (limited to pre-1900 designed guns). :unsure: :unsure:

Senior Duelist is a sub category of duelist that's true but there's more and more SD's signing up, it'll probably pass duelist soon! Just MHO <_<

IMO, since the rule change, Senior Duelist is more a sub-category of Duelist, as is Double Duelist, than a sub-category of Senior. Falling in line with how the other "unofficial" age restricted style-based category rules are set up. But... I could be wrong. Heck, I'm still waiting on Silver Senior Frontiersman (limited to pre-1900 designed guns). :unsure: :unsure:

Double duelist is not a category...

Double duelist is not a category...

See, I can be wrong! No, wait... it is if the MD sez it is!

I'm still waiting on "rolling thunder" limited to shooters over 300 lbs!

Im still trying to regress my body, mentally Im a Buckaroo again.

Yall play nice we were all new at this at some point. I am thankful people were willing to keep answering my questions. It helped that I was at the matches and could ask a question at that point. Ive never been accused of overthinking anything.

Imis

My apologies to you all then. I didn't realize I shoot a "style" based category as a senior.

Maybe I'm reading to much into it. They SHB states that seniors are 60 years of age or more. That senior duelist is a recognized duelist category. (PG 13). So where am I misunderstanding?

Senior (60+) is a stand alone age based category in which you can shoot any style except Gunfighter. Senior Duelist is a Duelist Category in which you have to be at least 60. I can't explain it except that a few years ago it was decided by the TG's that Senior Duelist would not be an age based category (in which adjustable sights are allowed) but be a Duelist Category with an age restriction.

Someone else might be able to explain the logicin this much better than I could.

Thanks

Randy

I'm still waiting on "rolling thunder" limited to shooters over 300 lbs!

I was going to alleviate all of the confusion with a PIE chart, but Hoss ate It !!!! :)

Someone else might be able to explain the logic in this much better than I could.

Thanks

Randy

I'll give it a shot.

In SASS, we do not have "age" based categories'.

We have shooting based categories', equipment/ costuming based categories and propellant based categories'.

What we commonly term age based categories, ie Wrangler, 49r, Silver Senior, etc. would be more correctly termed "Modern Supported" category.

This designation, (just like saying "Gunfighter" or "Duelist" or "Frontier Cartridge"), would inform you the type of shooting/ equipment/ etc. allowed within this category.

THEN, if desired or needed, this parent category can be sub divided by age.

This way ensures all participants in the same category are shooting the same game with the same rules, even if they (because of an age based division) are not competing against each other.

The parent category should outline the parameters of the category; anything added to the parent category is simply a division of the parent.

Senior Duelist is a division of Duelist; separating shooters by age within Duelist. A shooter shooting Senior in a different parent category is subject to the specific requirements/ equipment/ shooting styles of their chosen category.

Hoss ate the Pie Chart....now that is rich... (pun intended)....Jim

Senior (60+) is a stand alone age based category in which you can shoot any style except Gunfighter. Senior Duelist is a Duelist Category in which you have to be at least 60. I can't explain it except that a few years ago it was decided by the TG's that Senior Duelist would not be an age based category (in which adjustable sights are allowed) but be a Duelist Category with an age restriction.

Someone else might be able to explain the logicin this much better than I could.

Thanks

Randy

I'll give it a shot.

In SASS, we do not have "age" based categories'.

We have shooting based categories', equipment/ costuming based categories and propellant based categories'.

What we commonly term age based categories, ie Wrangler, 49r, Silver Senior, etc. would be more correctly termed "Modern Supported" category.

This designation, (just like saying "Gunfighter" or "Duelist" or "Frontier Cartridge"), would inform you the type of shooting/ equipment/ etc. allowed within this category.

THEN, if desired or needed, this parent category can be sub divided by age.

This way ensures all participants in the same category are shooting the same game with the same rules, even if they (because of an age based division) are not competing against each other.

The parent category should outline the parameters of the category; anything added to the parent category is simply a division of the parent.

Senior Duelist is a division of Duelist; separating shooters by age within Duelist. A shooter shooting Senior in a different parent category is subject to the specific requirements/ equipment/ shooting styles of their chosen category.

Creeker, I'd disagree, as they have a minimum age in which to qualify, except Junior and Buckaroo/ette, which also have an upper limit. The common denominator being an age requirement, as they all allow 2-handed or Duelist, BP or smokeless.

Randy, at the time of the rule change, the rules stated that all the other age restricted style/costume/propellant categories, (when offered), had to meet the basic requirements of the base style/costume/propellant category, except Senior Duelist. For rule consistency, it makes sense.

Hoss ate the Pie Chart....now that is rich... (pun intended)....Jim

RICH AS 3' UP A COW'S BEHIND!

I started in fall of 2013. Most everyone shot Winchester 97, Ruger 38s, Uberti 1893s and shot two handed. Seen the trend, although regional, is going to double barrel and duelist or gunfighter.

I just watched some video of a club shoot on left cost and most were shooting two handed,97, and 1873. Didn't see a single black powder shooter.

What's your point?

Archived