SASS Wire Forum

Shooters Handbook Questions #2 - Wrapping

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

On page 5 of the Shooters Handbook (Version 21.8 February 1, 2016) under the Heading TRIGGERS AND TRIGGER GUARDS, the 4th bullet states: “Shotgun trigger guards may be wrapped with leather or other natural materials.”

This raises the following questions:

(1) Since only Shotguns were mentioned under this heading, is it assumed that neither rifle or revolver trigger guards may be wrapped?

(2) Aside from that issue, what would be the purpose of wrapping a trigger guard of a shotgun?

Then on page 7 under Heading LEVERS, the 2nd bullet states: “Levers may be wrapped or padded with leather or other natural materials.”

This raises the next set of questions below:

(3) Since Shotguns were not mentioned specifically in this bullet, can it be assumed that the lever of a Shotgun can also be wrapped, and;

(4) If so, then can it also be assumed that combined with the 4th bullet mentioned above, that the entire trigger guard and lever of a Lever Action Shotgun can be wrapped?;

(5) Also, if the answer to (1) above is NO, then can it be presumed that the lever of a rifle can be completely wrapped?

Separate from the above, since a Lever Action Rifle can be assumed to have both a trigger guard at the fore end of the lever, and the cocking mechanism which would encompass the aft end of the lever, should the two portions of the so-called “lever” of a rifle be separated or treated as one, under the terminology of “lever”.

My assumption in talking levers and Shotguns pertains to the Lever Action Shotgun which, based on what the Shooters Handbook allows, is that the entire lever of a Lever Action Shotgun which would include the trigger guard fore portion and lever aft section of the entire lever itself. And if this is the case, then why not allow the entire lever of a Lever Action Rifle be wrapped the same way?

I know this may be confusing; however, based on how the Shooters Handbook is currently written, it tends to raise these type of questions.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

You are overthinking statements that are "stand alone" regulations that mean exactly what they say.

1. Not necessarily.

The lever of a lever-action long gun includes the trigger guard.

Revolver trigger guards may NOT be wrapped, as that is NOT a listed modification.

2. As padding against recoil.

3. Yes

4. Yes...but wrapping the entire trigger guard serves no purpose.

5. N/A

Many shotguns especially doubles, upon recoil, impact the middle finger. The resultant bruises are uncomfortable over several days.

Wrapping the trigger guard of a shotgun helps prevent this injury.

The most common is a piece of rubber tubing slipped over the trigger guard.

Easy way to read the shh is read the title then everything in that section apply to it read the next title start at zero read what's below itand apply repeat trying to take a statement from one section to the next is going to get you In trouble I know. It toke a while and pissing many existing shooters off before I learned.

Easy way to read the shh is read the title then everything in that section apply to it read the next title start at zero read what's below itand apply repeat trying to take a statement from one section to the next is going to get you In trouble I know. It toke a while and pissing many existing shooters off before I learned.

Blackey - That is very good advice.

Kit - All BS aside, I believe you'd be a lot better off if you put down the rule books for a while and went out to a match. You don't have to know it all before you start. Relax and go have some fun.

Archived