SASS Wire Forum

Squibs in pistols, I'm curious.

Dusty Sometimes

I'm very cautious when I reload because of Squibs. I've only had 1 in my 5 years of CAS shooting and it was in my rifle. The bullet stopped as soon as it hit the rifling, which was good because the next round couldn't chamber and it jammed. I like to shoot faster than I should, so not sure I could stop in time.

Question - What does happen in a pistol with a squib and the next round is fired? With our light loads and hefty Rugers, does it have an OK ending or is the gun toast?

Just curious this Sunday morning since I've never seen one. Have y'all?

DS

Sometimes ..... It Depends ..... I wouldn't count on it. Hefty Rugers applies only if you return to those halcyon days of yesteryear when the Ruger was Bigger. A new Ruger is about as tough as any other reproduction single action.

There are a lot of variables to consider to your question. Caliber (cylinder wall thickness) and just how light is your load. The result will range from "WOW, that was interesting" to the top of the cylinder and the top strap missing. Any time there is a Barrel/Cylinder obstruction in a Hand Gun/Rifle, it can get very interesting indeed.

Rather not play that game.

PS: Forgot the other part of your question. Yes. Been there and have seen both results. Still rather not play that game.

I have witnessed a few squibs. The 3 that I remember from SASS matches were just squibs. No second round fired so no damage to the gun and the round was pounded out using a stout cleaning rod. The only damage was 3 bruised egos. The reason they weren't catastrophic was the spotters / ROs recognized the problem and sang out just as the shooter had thumbed back the hammer for the next round.

The other 2 I witnessed were at outdoor shooting ranges, not that outdoors had anything to do with it. I both of those the shooter did fire a live round after a squib. One bulged the barrel. That was on a .38 Spl gun. The other was a .45 Casull revolver but I don't recall if he was shooting .45 Colt or a heavier load. This gun blew up. The shooter had cut / burnt hand and a gash in his forehead. The cylinder was blown in half and the top strap was in the parking lot behind the shooter.

In every case that I witnessed the shooter loaded their own ammo using a progressive press.

I have witnessed dozens of light loads that didn't become squibs and some random hot loads as well.

I am paranoid. I use a single stage press. I have nothing against progressive machines and have used one but I prefer loading on a single stage as Murphy is always lurking nearby.

I've stacked two in my pistol,,, no harm,,,, have 3 bulges in my rifle barrel from not hearing a squib and shooting it out,,, it still is accurate... I have never tried to shot one out on purpose, not even the shotgun....

Thats the role of the To to prevent damage from happening that's why he's watching the gun and listening to the report and then the hit if it sounds funny and no hit he stops the shooter. Yes worst I've seen in my guns was 44mag RedHawks shows a bulge in the barrel.

I've been at two matches a few years apart that had Rugers with five slugs stuck in the barrels. The first one was a new shooter and her husband was a new reloader and she stacked five in there, I was on a different posse so don't know why the TO or anyone else didn't catch it. The gun was sent to Ruger and they replaced the barrel. The second one was from not to long ago and I was working the unload table and to busy to watch the shooter shoot his five squibs. His dad and him figured out how to get those out of the barrel without it having to go to Ruger

If you are shooting light enough loads the odds are in your favor that it will shoot out or only bulge the barrel a little. If you are practicing to be very fast you should consider that when loading. Lighter loads are both safer and more competitive.

Also, get a RCBS lockout die for your press if you can. The odds of a squib or double charge with one of those checking your powder drops is near zero.

When I was young and had no idea what a squib was, I purchased a box of reloads (.38 Special) at the gun shop. In the desert, I fired a few, then had 3 "FTF's" . I was shooting a heavy, Ruger Blackhawk, .357Mag).

I unloaded the weapon and was surprised to find 3 loaded cartridges and 3 empties, with deep primer strikes. Looking down the barrel, I could see it was blocked. The gun shop cleared the barrel and refunded the price of the reloads.

Fast forward........ DO get yourself a "range rod," to clear barrel obstructions. A cleaning rod is a poor substitute.

I purchased a long 11/32" piece of brass rod (very close, free-fit in a .38 caliber barrel). I cut it into one long section (figure it out for your needs) for rifle, and a 9" section for pistol. Plenty left over. (Work the numbers to determine brass rod diameter for other calibers.) I rounded the business ends of the range rods with a grinder. Just the weight of it should push one or more squib bullets back through the barrel and into the action. 5 rounds in the barrel may be more than it can handle.....don't know. PRECAUTION: put a piece of leather or folded cloth (especially for rifle) in the action to prevent possible damage from the forcefull expulsion of squibs back into the action. Carry your range rod(s) in your cart.

I bought the brass rod stock from McMaster-Carr. I'm pretty sure you can order online or by telephone.

I'm very cautious when I reload because of Squibs. I've only had 1 in my 5 years of CAS shooting and it was in my rifle. The bullet stopped as soon as it hit the rifling, which was good because the next round couldn't chamber and it jammed. I like to shoot faster than I should, so not sure I could stop in time.

Question - What does happen in a pistol with a squib and the next round is fired? With our light loads and hefty Rugers, does it have an OK ending or is the gun toast?

DS

My experience. ?Squib/barrel obstruction? in a cap and ball pistol resulted in a split barrel and lost front sight and loading lever latch. No damage to shooter or spectators. ?Squib/barrel obstruction in an Uberti 66 in 44-40 resulted in a bulged barrel with no harm to shooter or spectators. No loss of accuracy.

First off, I will only fire my reloads in our guns. If I loan a gun, that person uses my loads-PERIOD.

I have seen barrels ruined and I have also seen no damage at all.

I see more squibs in the winter because folks don't understand what temperature change does to affect some powders, when they load at the bottom end.

Yes-I carry a squib rod on my gun-cart. :D

OLG

DS

A friend was practicing. He was a bit hearing challenged. He was shooting 125 g bullets about 700 fps loads. First round out was a squib. He was shooting so fast he stacked 5 more bullets behind it in his barrel. Had to remove barrel to remove all six bullets from barrel. No damage to gun. He was shooting old model Vaqueros.

If you put enough 3F goex in da case,,, you can't double bullet load ...

Heck I find it a challenge to fit in da one bullet ....

Jabez Cowboy

Howdy

I have only experienced two squibs. So far.

One was in a commercial 44 Special. I heard the primer pop but there was no bang. This was an old double action. The bullet was jammed in the forcing cone so I had to shove it back into the case to get the cylinder open. There was unburnt powder everywhere, but the weird thing was there was no flash hole in the case. There was a round series of perforations where the flash hole should have been. What I figure happened is the tool that punches the flash hole snapped off, and just enough was left to make some perforations without making a real hole. When the primer fired, enough gas was able to force its way through the perforations to drive the bullet into the focing cone, but not enough to ignite the powder. As I say, it was a commercial round, but I don't remember what brand now.

The other squib I had was my fault. A couple of years ago. One of my Black Powder 44-40 loads in my Uberti 1860 Henry. I was somewhere in the middle of a shooting string and pulled the trigger, but didn't hear anything. My pard standing at the loading table heard the primer pop, but with my earplugs in and being directly behind the hammer I did not hear the primer. I figured I had a bad primer so I ejected the round and pulled the trigger again for the next shot. Finished shooting the rest of the stage, and started looking on the ground for my dud. Couldn't find one, nothing but spent cases. Then my pard told me he had heard the primer, but I guess nobody else did. Nobody said stop, so I kept shooting. I swabbed the barrel and peeked down inside with a bright light. Sure enough, there was a ring now, down near the chamber. The 'dud' bullet had gotten stuck just past the chamber and the next bullet had shoved it out in front of itself. The Henry has a heavy octagon barrel, so there was no real damage other than the ring in front of the chamber. It has not hurt accuracy at all, and apparently it was no problem for the toggle link action either. Of course it was Black Powder.

I do load Black Powder on a progressive press, but I try to peek into every case before I seat a bullet to be sure there is powder in there. Somehow this one slipped by me. Even so, now I am a bit more aware, and if I ever fail to hear a primer pop again I will not assume it was a bad primer. I will remember and take the time to examine the round as I jack it out. I don't really care how fast I shoot.

I load both smokeless and BP on my Lee Progressive press and installed an LED light in the center of it. That way I can quickly look into each shell before seating a bullet, confirming powder drop off Trail Boss.

If you put enough 3F goex in da case,,, you can't double bullet load ...

Heck I find it a challenge to fit in da one bullet ....

Jabez Cowboy

Shot Saturday with a guy who does just this. It was great. Cowboys from the other posse were coming over to watch the show.

I've had two squibs in two years.
Screws up your concentration, the dreaded "Pop and No Kick!"

I quit using Unique (small volume of grey powder in a dark case) and went with Trail Boss -- very light color & very bulky, much easier for me to see which ones are powdered and which aren't.

I subscribe to Pat Riot's philosophy above!

As stated, the results of a second round fired on top of a squib will vary. In a revolver, the first round will be in the barrel (many times it stops at the forcing cone and prevents the cylinder from turning, a good thing). Results can be just clearing to barrel, a bulge in the barrel, or a split in the barrel to a full blown fly apart gun. A round midway in a rifle barrel has similar results and easily could result in a mid barrel bulge. It is visible, and appears as a dark ring in the barrel. Sometimes it can be felt on the outside.

Do not forget that the shotgun can fall victim as well. I saw a nice 97 pump explode from barrel to stock and receiver, from an obstruction in the barrel. It was suspected that a portion of a shell stayed in the barrel.

Luckily I have never had one. I have seen a few but never at a match. In all cases I saw, the shooter recognized it right away and didn't fire the next round. I talked to a couple of the shooters afterwards and both said they could tell from the lack of recoil that something was not right and stopped right away. The bullet did not exit the barrel in any of them..they unloaded the pistol then used a cleaning rod and in one case a piece of wood dowel and a small rubber mallet to clear the bullet. In one case it was a factory dud and in the others they were re-loads.

Like some of the other pards I am paranoid when it comes to squibs so I stopped using the automatic powder drops in my press and load the powder in a separate operation then visually check each case with a light before they go back into the press for bullet seat and crimp. It does slow the operation down and I did try using one of the check dies that stops the press if the case is empty or overloaded but it didn't work that well for me.

Tinpan McGurk SASS # 82891

I saw a shooter split both his pistol barrels with squibs on one stage. Scary. I was worried I would not stop in time. Since then I've had two squibs and I stopped in plenty of time on both. Train your mind to listen for it.

One thing I do before a big match is use a funnel that snuggly holds a single cartridge and shake it to my ear. The funnel magnifies the sound of the powder. Easy to hear if empty. I also check ammo in a gauge to make sure it will fit in rifle. Double check primers too.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

We watched a guy, at our state match back in 2004, get them out of his barrel by sticking the muzzle over an electric fence post and beating them out backwards.

I'm sure he messed up the rifling. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And he did it twice that day.

MG

I have seen squib loads before and since I figure my time is due I carry doweling 7 inches for pistols one sized for 38 and one for 45. Insert the dowel at muzzle and tap on wood service. I also carry two muzzle loading ram rods size to barrel length and for 38 and 45. Again the plan is the same as above. Tap is the key. Other shooters have use these tools with success.

Note: shotgun squibs can be even more of a danger is the wad is an obstruction and the barrel metal is not as heavy. Easy to clear as the ram rod can be slung down the barrel.

I have had only one squib load in all of my years. I was shooting my Yellowboy and the T.O. stopped me before I shot the next round. The round was loaded on a Progressive Press.

I do most of my on a RCBS Rockchucker. I put my primed brass in a reloading block that holds 50 cases, charge all 50 cases, check the powder level with a flashlite, then seat the bullets. Always works except once...

Brain fade I guess. Forgot to charge the cases and check them for powder with the flashlite. Seated the bullets in 10 rounds and then got to thinking did I add powder? To make the story even worse was I was tossing the completed rounds into a container 2/3 filled with previously loaded rounds (probably 300 rounds or so). Fortunately I had not shook the container so I carefully picked the rounds laying on top of the pile and only had to pull the bullets on about 15 rounds.

I did buy a nice looking used S&W Model 10 38 Special with a 4" skinny barrel a few years ago. it would not group well and shot to the left. When I cleaned the barrel I discovered the barrel was bulged where it screwed into the frame.

The story that came with the gun was it was a small town retired Chiefs gun. After I discovered the bulge I believed the story. :(

There was a guy once with cap n ballers that stacked 4 in a barrel on one stage wondering where the misses went and on the next stage packed 3 more in the barrel until the cylinder wouldn't turn. No one realized they were squibs as they happened. Experienced shooter too.

1 squib = 1 bulged barrel in my OMV's. It was a 125gr TC with a solid clays load and the second shot was fired before I could stop.

Funny side note, it is still the more accurate of all of my OMV's!

WK

Archived