SASS Wire Forum

Some interesting news

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-politics/2017/02/17/gov-greg-abbott-wants-supreme-court-block-california-gun-limits

"The question presented is whether the State of California can single out one group of disfavored citizens--namely, gun owners--and impose unique burdens on their fundamental rights," the brief reads. "Indeed, no other group of private citizens has to prove--to the satisfaction of a government official vested with unreviewable and boundless discretion--that they really need to exercise their fundamental constitutional freedoms."

The timing as to when this is brought before the SCOTUS will be crucial. Personally, I would wait until Trump establishes the right mix on the court. As it now stands, a 4-4 split would let the ninth circuit court ruling stand...not good.

That has me concerned, too. They may be shooting themselves, and the rest of us, in the foot by springing this now.

One thing that has puzzled me about the 9th ruling : "The U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in favor of California last year, writing "there is no Second Amendment right for members of the general public to carry concealed firearms in public."" the 2nd makes no mention of method of carry. It doesn't prohibit it, so per the 10th The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people. we should be able to carry in any way we want. By ruling as it did the 9th has made large portions of CA "no carry" zones. Open carry is prohibited. Most of the major metropolitan areas a effectively 'No Issue" so a large portion of Californians are unable to exercise their rights. Which is what the original panel ruled - by refusing to issue CCWs the Sheriff of San Diego had made it impossible for citizens to exercise their civil rights.

A petition for cert in Peruta has already been filed with SCOTUS http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Peruta_1_17_17_Notice-Petition-for-Writ-of-Certiorari-Filed.pdf

Archived