SASS Wire Forum

Reversing the triggers on a Stoeger: is it possible?

Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580

In keeping with my idea of maybe trying out Gunfighter, a friend suggested that if I was going to do that, I needed a hammerless double. He's got a double trigger Stoeger he's got slicked up pretty well, but I'm used to my Nate Kiowa Jones Cimmaron with the reversed triggers so I was wondering if it is possible to switch the triggers on a Stoeger? By that I mean that the left trigger would become the front one, and so on and so forth...

Thanks for any info anyone might like to sling my way!

Enquiring minds want to know!

I did an article on swapping the triggers for the Chronicle several years ago. The older Stoegers with two slots in the frame where the triggers stick through (one trigger in each slot) are easy to swap. The newer ones have a single window for both triggers and the triggers were changed to take up the extra space. They are a lot more work to swap. For a lot of people the effort might not be worth any perceived benefit.

Would someone explain the logic of reversing triggers? Pull one and the barrel fires. Pull the other one and the other barrel fires. Does it make any difference? Please enlighten .Nota

On the normal set up the right hand trigger sits on the right and after you fire the first barrel you have to move your trigger finger rearward and then to the left to fire the second barrel. If you reverse the triggers the front trigger is now sitting inboard and the rear trigger on the outboard side. After you fire the first trigger you merely let you trigger finger snap straight back and it will hit the second trigger. Reduces movement and for some increases speed.

I did an article on swapping the triggers for the Chronicle several years ago. The older Stoegers with two slots in the frame where the triggers stick through (one trigger in each slot) are easy to swap. The newer ones have a single window for both triggers and the triggers were changed to take up the extra space. They are a lot more work to swap. For a lot of people the effort might not be worth any perceived benefit.

This has been my experience with both types of Stoegers. Swapping triggers in the double slot frame was a marked improvement (for me). In the single slot frame, not so much. The end result put the triggers in more of a tandem arrangement without much of a left-to-right offset. A lot of work for not much benefit.

I can see where it might cut a couple of thousands of a second if the scenario was double tap shotgun targets. Most scenarios have multiple targets to engage. A shooter has to swing the shotgun some or a lot to another target...what's his finger still doing on the 1st trigger in that time? Maybe I'm missing something here too.

Even I was able to do it with Larsen's article and it came out perfectly. See Chronicle from November 2009

Charlie Macneil, Thank you for posting this. I have wondered the same thing, I always thought it odd that the front trigger was to the right. I thought perhaps it was done so that if a person that rarely fires a 12 gauge with little or no recoil pad pulled the front trigger they wouldn't as easily slip their finger off the trigger and fire the other barrel, thus a double whammy. :)

Larson, can you recall when your article was in the Chronicle? I would like to check that out. Even though a tenth of second two could be shaved off my time it really wouldn't matter but I like the ergonomic concept.

Come to think of it that Liberty shotgun I have has the triggers arranged the same way.

Blazafar, I tried the 2 finger method. It worked okay until I pulled both triggers by accident because I was in a hurry one day. And it happened to be a day when I had no lighter kicking shotgun ammo so I was using harder hitting ammo. You don't easily forget things like that and you don't forget to stock up on lighter kicking ammo the next time you go shopping for shotgun shells. :D

Even I was able to do it with Larsen's article and it came out perfectly. See Chronicle from November 2009

Thank you Eyesa. I was typing while you were posting. I will have to see if that article is available on line.

Thank you Eyesa. I was typing while you were posting. I will have to see if that article is available on line.

Pat--- If you can't find it, let me know and I will see if I can scan it for you. I think you can get it from the Chronicle link on the SASS.net page. And then just print it. The article also has info on changing springs and other mods as well. My Stoeger runs great after doing everything Larsen talks about, his "How To" articles are excellent. Wish he had a book that covered all our typical guns!!

In keeping with my idea of maybe trying out Gunfighter, a friend suggested that if I was going to do that, I needed a hammerless double. He's got a double trigger Stoeger he's got slicked up pretty well, but I'm used to my Nate Kiowa Jones Cimmaron with the reversed triggers so I was wondering if it is possible to switch the triggers on a Stoeger? By that I mean that the left trigger would become the front one, and so on and so forth...

Thanks for any info anyone might like to sling my way!

Enquiring minds want to know!

Why do you "need" to switch shotguns?

Almost sounds like your "friend" is trying to sell you his shotgun.

Pat--- If you can't find it, let me know and I will see if I can scan it for you. I think you can get it from the Chronicle link on the SASS.net page. And then just print it. The article also has info on changing springs and other mods as well. My Stoeger runs great after doing everything Larsen talks about, his "How To" articles are excellent. Wish he had a book that covered all our typical guns!!

Eyesa, Thank you. I did find it and printed it up. I appreciate the offer. I actually printed 2 and laminated one :D

Larson, Thank You Very Much, belatedly (if that is a word) for writing the article. It looks very straight forward.

Being a left handed shooter, I think I know why you want to swap the triggers. First time I shot a SASS match with my Parker, after I pulled the front trigger, the recoil caused my finger to slip on to the rear trigger and pull it. So, I had to start pulling the rear trigger first. Kind of awkward. I'll assume a similar "problem" with the Stoeger.

But I do have a more simple question...

"In keeping with my idea of maybe trying out Gunfighter, a friend suggested that if I was going to do that, I needed a hammerless double."

Why do you need a hammerless double? Why not just use whatever shotgun you use know? I've seen people shoot gunfighter with doubles, 87's and 97's. No restrictions exist that I am aware of. Can someone confirm this?

Shoot what you are used to, no need to go to a hammerless.

I switched my triggers and it was not worth the effort.

Why do you "need" to switch shotguns?

Almost sounds like your "friend" is trying to sell you his shotgun.

Being a left handed shooter, I think I know why you want to swap the triggers. First time I shot a SASS match with my Parker, after I pulled the front trigger, the recoil caused my finger to slip on to the rear trigger and pull it. So, I had to start pulling the rear trigger first. Kind of awkward. I'll assume a similar "problem" with the Stoeger.

But I do have a more simple question...

"In keeping with my idea of maybe trying out Gunfighter, a friend suggested that if I was going to do that, I needed a hammerless double."

Why do you need a hammerless double? Why not just use whatever shotgun you use know? I've seen people shoot gunfighter with doubles, 87's and 97's. No restrictions exist that I am aware of. Can someone confirm this?

Maybe need isn't the right word here. I currently am using a Cimmaron hammered double. I think that he's thinking that it would be a skosh faster if I didn't have to cock the hammers. He's only lookin' out for my best interests, ya know? :D

Would someone explain the logic of reversing triggers? Pull one and the barrel fires. Pull the other one and the other barrel fires. Does it make any difference? Please enlighten .Nota

It's kind of a less chances to do something klutzy thing with me. If I don't have to take my finger off of the trigger and reach around to the other one, there's less stuff for me to think about. With 'em switched I just reach across to the left one, fire that barrel, then slip my finger over to the right one and fire that barrel. Maybe it only makes sense to me, I don't know, but I like 'em that way! :D

Archived