SASS Wire Forum

New SASS Category: Classic Gunfighter!

Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580

I probably have too much time on my hands this winter, what with the three feet of snow we had and now the two weeks of rain melting it all off, but I've been thinking (scary, ain't it? :D ). I shoot Classic Cowboy double duelist style, mainly because I have arthritis in both wrists and that way one wrist doesn't have to carry the whole load. At our last local match last fall a nice lady who shoots with us told me that since I shoot with both hands, I should try gunfighter. Now there's a thought! And it's been floating around in the back of my little pea brain all winter. Then, a day or two ago, I had an epiphany: why not create a category for us Classic Cowboy types who want to try something new, and Classic Gunfighter was born! And for the older set, Senior Classic Gunfighter! Gunfighter with clothing and firearm requirements! The best of all worlds! Ya have ta dress Classic and shoot Classic guns, but gunfighter style! Who's with me? :D

And for those of you who can't help but pile on this poor misguided soul who thinks we need more categories, don't bother, because I'm not seriously proposing this and will probably ignore ya anyway. It was just something that came to me and it sounded like it might be fun... :D

I love it. I just want to add another category onto that. Frontier Cartridge. You get the classic cowboy duds and calibers, get to shoot gunfighter, and use the holy black. I call it the true grit category. I'm already shooting it, just without the official classic cowboy title.

Why not the very lenient category of Arthritic Gunfighter!

The only clothing requirement is that you have to wear those copper magnetic bracelets with your cowboy duds.

A Classic Cowboy can shoot Gunfighter......................at sign in just put down GF

Ta Dah!!!!

+10000!!!! I agree Wyatt, no need for yet another category plus if you forget on of the CC items you're still good to go!

If it says gunfighter, I'm in....but what about memory haha? what if instead of writing GF on the sign in, its like CCGF....or CCFCGF.....kinda seems like a lot to remember on top of shooting the stages, that and CCGF sounds like a black powder moniker lol.

If it says gunfighter, I'm in....but what about memory haha? what if instead of writing GF on the sign in, its like CCGF....or CCFCGF.....kinda seems like a lot to remember on top of shooting the stages, that and CCGF sounds like a black powder moniker lol.

If it's that hard to remember what category you signed up for, I can't imagine how you can get through a stage with anything more complicated than a Nevada sweep 😉

If it's that hard to remember what category you signed up for, I can't imagine how you can get through a stage with anything more complicated than a Nevada sweep

simply put, its difficult! lots of procedurals in my shooting history hahaha

simply put, its difficult! lots of procedurals in my shooting history hahaha

I keep telling you to stop using that smokeless stuff. The big black clouds really help clear the mind. And if you do get a p, the spotters might not even notice haha.

I keep telling you to stop using that smokeless stuff. The big black clouds really help clear the mind. And if you do get a p, the spotters might not even notice haha.

Of course!!! Depending on the wind anyway haha

A Classic Cowboy can shoot Gunfighter......................at sign in just put down GF

Ta Dah!!!!

+10000!!!! I agree Wyatt, no need for yet another category plus if you forget on of the CC items you're still good to go!

+1

Yeah, but it's just wouldn't be the same don'tcha know... :D

With Classic Gunfighter ya'd have ta make sure that ya had the right duds and all on, along with the accoutrements (or however ya spell that word!)!

Dang, I never thought anybody would take this whole thing quite so serious!

I, too, would like to see CC allowed to shoot either duelist or GF. They did that with B-Western. But I think a lot of the current CC shooters would not like that.

I got one for all of you, Stock Cowboy, using only guns out of the box, not sure how you would prove it, but for those of us who haven't spent money on short strokes, carriers, pawl modifications and such, it might be interesting. I've seen a lot of "stock" gun tournaments on Shooting USA, so it isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Perhaps we could, if you don't have a short stroke on your lever gun, then the lever goes out farther, yes? And if the cylinder can only spin one way, that proof, isn't it? I guess replacement springs would have to be exempt to hard to check.

I got one for all of you, Stock Cowboy, using only guns out of the box, not sure how you would prove it, but for those of us who haven't spent money on short strokes, carriers, pawl modifications and such, it might be interesting. I've seen a lot of "stock" gun tournaments on Shooting USA, so it isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Perhaps we could, if you don't have a short stroke on your lever gun, then the lever goes out farther, yes? And if the cylinder can only spin one way, that proof, isn't it? I guess replacement springs would have to be exempt to hard to check.

This has been proposed more than once...pre-match firearm inspections would be a time consuming nightmare ...

IMO

Sort of along the lines of NASCAR. Without the decals... it's kinda hard to tell the difference between a Chevy, Chrysler or Ford. We just don't need no more stinkin' categories...

Ah hah! Seems like there's some support to shoot GF in Classic Cowboy category. I'll talk to Donald Trump about it next time I see him. He'll get it done with an executive order. Praticing the hammer gun again already. Lobby your representatives (Territorial Governors).

This could be easily done without adding another category by simple allowing Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl to shoot gunfighter style just like B-Western is allowed to shoot gunfighter style.

Scout

Howdy,

Roundjere, Classic Cowboys at few but we have an abundance of Gunfighters. May be allowing CC to shoot either Duelist or Gunfighter would revive the category. Don't many CC shoot double duelist anyway?

Hasta Luego, Keystone

First of all, at monthly shoots the local clubs can pretty much do what they want. As far as shoots above this level....we don't need any new catagories. I shoot FCGF and anyone using BP or subs can shoot with me (gunfighter style), don't really care how they are dressed or what guns they shoot.

Howdy,

Roundjere, Classic Cowboys at few but we have an abundance of Gunfighters. May be allowing CC to shoot either Duelist or Gunfighter would revive the category. Don't many CC shoot double duelist anyway?

Hasta Luego, Keystone

I shoot double duelist style in CC; it's never had a large turn out at the Indiana State shoot. I like shooting Gunfighter from time to time; don't need any new catagories, just allow us to go Gunfighter like B-Western already does.

Innocent Comment?? Innocent?? Nah ..... It's really Innocent Commitment. Being Committed .... innocently. Brandy new white jacket with really LONG SLEEVES!! Oh .... wait ..... we be discussing Gunfighter in Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl ...... I'm IN. Grand idea. Why didn't we do that a long time ago?? We're not really committing anyone are we?? Well .... Maybe Rye .......

PS: NO!! Wait!! Lets make it Steampunk Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Gunfighter. Or .... even better ..... Steampunk Frontier Cartridge Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Gunfighter. Nah, no way, to hard to remember. Let's go back to the Gunfighter option for Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl. (sigh)

Archived