SASS Wire Forum

Today was my lucky day

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

In planning for the upcoming Legends Four Corners Regional in Utah, I decided I needed a new rifle. Now I have a Uberti 73 with the 24" barrel and a Uberti 66 with the 20" barrel, but I got a hankerin' for a 73 carbine. So I loaded up the wife and the dog and went down to my local gun store. They usually carry one or two Uberti's, but today they only had a 66 with the 24" barrel.

Asked the sales guy if he could order a 73 carbine in 45 Colt and how much it would be. He goes in the back and comes out in a few minutes and says $1,080. I'm thinkin' that's not too bad, but for some reason I didn't pull the trigger. I told him I would like to handle one first and he proceeds to tell me he has a 66 carbine I could try. He goes over by the rack and pulls it out of a Uberti box. I asked him if it belonged to a customer and he says no, it's his. So I handle it and like what I'm feelin' and he says "it's for sale". I ask what caliber and he says 38-40. Now everything I shoot is 45 Colt but this little yellerboy is whispering 'buy me'. I do reload so I'm thinkin' what's one more caliber and 38-40 is awfully cool and I can shoot BP to boot. He tells me he only shot 1/2 a box of Winchester factory ammo in it and would throw in the remainder of the box.

So I ask 'how much?' and he says $750. Now the 24" 66 on the rack was $1050, so I'm thinkin' a new 66 carbine would be about that much and this one is as good as new so I says "you just saved me $300, I'll take it!"

The wife thinks it pretty and the dog gave me a high paw. I'm one happy marshall.

Wyatt

• 2 weeks later...

'66s are beautiful guns. I shot one in .45 for years. My wife was shooting 357/38s and my daughter 32s. I reload and am not interested in constantly changing out calibers so I migrated the daughter and me to 357/38s. I miss my '66.

I bought a 66 and a 73 with in the last year .

I run them both side by side one day to see what I liked best.

The 66 won and the 73 got sold .

No regrets !

I just love my 66 .

I Never thought I would give up my 92 But I love this 66.

Now I have two 92s that are back up guns .

Just sayin :-)

Archived