SASS Wire Forum

Degaussing Pistols -- Base pins in particular

We may have sound basis for further Anti-Serious and Pseudo-Scientific Research, as conducted by the Stealth Bullet Shooting Society, of which I have the honor of membership.

Considering the learned and erudite colleague who previously suggested the rotational magnetic field seeded by the base pin would impart an attractive field to the boolit, thus propelling it like a Smart Boom toward the waiting steel plate, I must consider the opposite face of the spinning coin: could this not explain just as accurately those unexplained (stealth) misses?

Perhaps the proximity of my dogs could explain the induced magnetism: if cats have indeed the ability to magnetize base pins with a green-eyed glance, then the catlike behavior of my Basenji cross rescues might be influencing my stainless steel hardware!

AHA! Some of the targets may have come from iron ore mined in the southern hemisphere. A heavily magnetized northern hemisphere gun would have very little chance of hitting such a target.

I like this. Another excuse for missing.

Back to the cat discussion. I have actually eaten "cat". On one of our hunting trips a few years back the designated cook was a trapper. He served ground bobcat meat made into meatballs in a cajun rice dish. It was very good. The bar-b-qued beaver was not so good.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's actually a very simple fix.

Stuff the barrels with marshmallows and microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Or wrap the barrels with plastic wrap and shoot until the plastic is heated enough to become firmly attached to the barrels.

Actually the O.P.s guns are export models meant Australia.

The magnetic pole in the Southern Hemisphere is opposite of the Northern Hemisphere. So the base pins are magnetized to counteract the difference.

The O.P.s guns also have internal modification that allows them to be shot upside down since Australia is on the bottom of the world.

These guns are rarely found for sale in the United States and bring a huge premium on Gunbroker.

You are real close, but only a genius like me can figure this one out......

If that is the case, and this is a rare for-export gun, the rifling is most likely cut backwards. And if that is the case, this is the real source of the problem. Hi speed rotational forces of a metallic object inside an metal core, parallel to the earth's magnetic force can produce a magnetic charge. His revolvers components are acting as a rotor and stator. The orientation in relation to magnetic north, along with rotational direction allows the magnetic force of the earth to act to excite voltage, which allows for the rotor (the bullet) and the stator (the barrel) to produce current and a magnetic field. If his bullets rotated through the barrel the other way, it would not as readily pick up on the magnetic current produced by the Earths magnetic field, and he'd not be having this problem. And you have to realize that there are enough ferrous metal impurities in our bullet alloys to allow for this to occur. If he rebarrels with rifling cut in the proper orientation, or exclusively shoots on NORTH to SOUTH, EAST to WEST, or WEST to EAST planes (not airplane , but plane as in orientation), or shoot 100% pure lead bullets, much of this phenomenon will go away after degaussing. It would still be advisable to never shoot on a true SOUTH to NORTH plane in the Northern Hemisphere. Having the rifling cut the proper direction helps curtail 85-95% of of the Earth's magnetic effects. A deviation of 33.5 degrees or more from Magnetic North is best, but 90 and 180 are most effective. Most gun ranges fail to factor this in to rifle/pistol bay lay out and you will find most misses on bays in which you are firing in a NORTHERLY direction. If he degausses and proceeds as before, or fails to factor in the prescribed remedies, the phenomenon will return. He could also forgo a great deal of expense by seeing if shooting NORTH causes the most magnetism or if firing SOUTH causes the most magnetism, and avoid shooting in that particular direction. BUT, the single best resolution is to have the rifling cut in the proper rotational direction, which means , in the NORTHERN HEMISPHERE, the bullet should exit the barrel with a COUNTER-CLOCKWISE rotation.

And remember, any magnetism imparted to the projectile with disrupt accuracy, particularly the more ferrous impurities present. This can be a magnetic pull towards or a magnetic push away from the Earth.

I would also like to point out that incorporating ORGANIC, UN-DYED SILK UNDERWEAR and BLACK-DYED, ORGANIC COTTON SOCKS into ones shooting attire may help as well, along with drinking at least 2 quarts of magnetized water daily. This will help with accuracy on those NORTHERLY directed shots immensely. I could explain this, but it would go over most of ya'lls heads. The dirty little secret is, folks like Dang It Dan, Widder, and Santa Fe River Stan have known this for a while. This allows them an edge in speed, as well as accuracy.

Look at your history books and WWII. This is not exclusive to revolvers.

Most countries largely stayed in their Hemisphere, either Northern or Southern.

Australia pretty well stayed in the South Pacific.

The Africa campaigns were dominated by tanks and planes (neither the Germans nor the British nor Americans were producing small arms suitably accurate for below the Equator).

South America had not the resources to produce weapons at all, much less the means to send troops to the South Pacific, so they pretty much stayed out all together. The reason Japanese surplus arms from that era have such varying degrees of accuracy is also due to this phenomenon. They fought above and below the equator, and produced guns of the proper rifling accordingly. This explains much as to why the Marines had such a time with the Japanese in parts of the Pacific theater. Their rifles bullet rotation was proper, our was not, so they were consequently more accurate. Later in the war, the dispersal of these weapons contributed to their demise. If you have a Japanese rifle that's a real stinker to shoot, probably a South Pacific battle-field pick-up, and the rifling is backwards for the Northern Hemisphere.

Now, who's gonna call me a liar?

Australia pretty well stayed in the South Pacific.

Now, who's gonna call me a liar?

Lets say not 100% accurate?

Australia had a Corps (3 divisions + odds and sods) in North Africa in WW2.

BUT your theory is salvageable as I am sure they would have been issued UK weapons in order to counter the affects you identified.

The lie lives!

WOW!

SIMPLY WOW!

We are really fortunate to have someone as knowledgeable as Dirty Dan Dawkins to explain complicated things like this to us.

I did not know there was so much science involved in developing small arms for use in Northern and Southern Hemispheres.

I am curious how the tilt of earth as the season changes affects whether the bullet hits higher or lower than point of aim. Failure to compensate for the degree of the earths tilt on the day of the match could be the cause a lot of misses and why filing the front sight is a waste of time.

I am curious how the tilt of earth as the season changes affects whether the bullet hits higher or lower than point of aim. Failure to compensate for the degree of the earths tilt on the day of the match could be the cause a lot of misses and why filing the front sight is a waste of time.

I believe the tilt of the earth from it's axis is constant and the seasons are caused by the orbit of the earth around the sun - this would explain why I miss the same targets at the same clubs at the same time of the year. I've thought of gathering vast herds of cats & moving them to various continents to compensate for this problem by adjusting the tilt or orbital path, whichever proves most effective. I've seen cartoons of riders herding cats & am certain it can be done. Stand by for progress reports .....

PS - I plan on funding this project with a government grant. I mean really, if they will fund studies on cow flatulation, this should be a no brainer. (Pun intended)

Lets say not 100% accurate?

Australia had a Corps (3 divisions + odds and sods) in North Africa in WW2.

BUT your theory is salvageable as I am sure they would have been issued UK weapons in order to counter the affects you identified.

The lie lives!

Yes there were exceptions.

Surprisingly, it has less affect than as to the material of your underwear and socks. There is a certain amount of current flow between the waste and feet, along with the alkalinity of the blood, that causes a soldier at times to have only one thing on his mind. This led to the American GI getting the stigma of being "over-paid, over-sexed, over-here." By manipulating factors that influence static ( and hence current flow), an increase in concentration and performance can be achieved. including, but not limited to, the ability to deduce and execute corrections for any physical,mental and atmospheric deviations. Its called the comfortable feet/comfortable groin theory, although the science is much deeper than comfort. Granted, its just a theory, but one that many subscribe to. Here's a little experiment: Go up to some top shooter in your club and ask, "What kind of underwear you got on?" Then go to some average to poor shooters and ask the same question. If the top shooter appears stand-offish, surprised, taken aback, or generally unwilling to answer, they are hiding something and suspicious you are on to one of the best kept hidden secrets for maximizing performance. If a poor shooter reacts the same way, it is purely coincidental, as they are likely taking you for a pervert.

Detractors state if you simply cut loose on a regular basis in the local saloon or bordello, it will have similar results, although there are some side effects such as hang-overs and the clap.

Now a word on magnetized water....Ever notice you get that sluggish feeling after a heavy meal? It all has to do with a change in blood alkalinity and the electrical charge of the body, more so than weight. The earth generally has a negative charge, and I say generally, cause there is some debate and circumstances that can alter the Earths charge both overall and at particular points. Water that has been magnetized in a fashion that molecules are oriented in a way that you consume the negative electrons first, hence cause your body and blood to assume a negative charge. The molecules are just random in non magnetized water and most other drinks, but generally the protons will be up and you will consume those first and will assume more of their positive charge. Due to many modern day sports drinks, sodas and tea, anything sugary or acidic, they are not magnetized in any manner, but generally due to buoyancy positive protons are up and negative electrons down. I am sure that all makes sense, since everyone know protons are more buoyant than electrons and these water molecules are just floating around amongst themselves anyway. It is worth noting the chemical composition of acids and its breakdown in the stomach also release a more positive charge. Also, noteworthy is starchy foods will cause the body to have a more of a positive charge. So, if your body is more positive than negative, you will the affects of current flow with the Earth, draining your energy, and taking some of your store electrical energy with it. Your positive charge will attract to the earth's negative charge, making you feel heavier. By drinking properly magnetized water you can assume a more negative charge and feel less the affects of current flow, and minimize the loss of stored energy. Your negative charge will repel the Earth's negative charge and you will feel lighter. So now you know why salty, sugary, starchy, and rich foods make you feel like you've lost energy and feel heavier. If you cut those out of your diet, and drink plenty of magnetized water, you will feel better. Weekly "earthing" sessions in the nude will also help rid the body of any its excess electrical charge.

You all have to understand the theories of "Extreme Spread." The actual width of the specific shooter can have drastic effects on the strength of the magnetic influence as relates to target acquisition.

What has been also mostly ignored, the Southern Hemisphere really isn't "Southern" at all. The earth is flat. Like a board. Those folks aren't "south" of us. They are actually UNDER us. That simple understanding will clarify why reverse rifling is so imperative. It also explains why their gun oil just drips off their guns into space.

Radio Shack used to sell these things....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252501518622?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I don't know if they still do, and as you can see, this one is on e-may. It's a pretty powerful tool, used to bulk erase video tapes. I have one myself, being a long time AV geek.

I am reasonably sure it would solve your problem.

That being said, I find your trouble facinating. I've never heard of it before.

You all have to understand the theories of "Extreme Spread." The actual width of the specific shooter can have drastic effects on the strength of the magnetic influence as relates to target acquisition.

What has been also mostly ignored, the Southern Hemisphere really isn't "Southern" at all. The earth is flat. Like a board. Those folks aren't "south" of us. They are actually UNDER us. That simple understanding will clarify why reverse rifling is so imperative. It also explains why their gun oil just drips off their guns into space.

And that's why we're considered the heavy polluters?

Triple D the science guy. Who'd of thunk it?

Oh my DDD- I do NOT want to be at a range on the day you decide to shoot and do your "earthing session" simultaneously. Having said that, how does this thesis affect the problem of the OP?

Just curious...

Dirty Dan Dawkins deserves an award! Seriously, I think he needs an award.

I say it should be called the BRILLIANT SCIENTIST award. :)

The BS award should be given to him in a large BS ceremony and bestowed upon him by fellow BS'ers here on the Wire. :D

What say you all?

And I thought Chaos Theory was from Jurassic Park...

Pat, not only an award how about we get together for an entire two day match dedicated to the practical application of Brilliant Scientists and their postulates, theories, corollaries, advanced abstract thought, application of practical and impractical physics, metaphor, hyperbole, and just articulate genius in general?

My head is spinning.

I went with the magnetized cylinder pin theory and switched primer brand to an aluminum cup and copper anvil version. Then degauzed the hammers and removed the transfer bars.

First time out for practice, I could spin the cylinder FAST and get spontaneous ignition when the pin and at rest degauzed hammer aligned with the copper anvil.

2 weeks of fast spin practice and my interval times were reduced from .4/.6 seconds to less than .005 seconds.

At the recent local match after 3 stages the PM called the MD over for his opinion.

DANG IT.

Said I was shooting out of category (FC) with Automatic Rugers.

Gave me 3 consecutive SDQs and the resulting MDQ.

Any trades for 2 cylinder pins, 2 hammers and 9,880 special primers?

Just Sayin'

Amarillo Rattler

Oh my DDD- I do NOT want to be at a range on the day you decide to shoot and do your "earthing session" simultaneously. Having said that, how does this thesis affect the problem of the OP?

Just curious...

You're right. This thread has been hi-jacked on many fronts.

It's all that clockwise turning. You can just pu the cylinder in backwards. Then when it turns clockwise it will really be counter clockwise and automatically degauss. After you have it degaussed, just use it the normal way for every other shoot.

Lest someone takes this seriously, I'm moving it where it belongs.

What are you insinuating, Ms. Mo? Lots of good info on this thread, wish we had a Radio Shack so I could find some of those capacitors.

Lest someone takes this seriously, I'm moving it where it belongs.

I thought he was serious at first but then I started getting suspicious when August never responded but I knew for sure I was duped when Forty Rod popped in and said something about "reeling them in". :D

I thought he was serious at first but then I started getting suspicious when August never responded but I knew for sure I was duped when Forty Rod popped in and said something about "reeling them in". :D

I wasn't paying attention until some people started joking about the thread in the Saloon.

I want a set of these guns. A magnetized pistol when shot will impart that magnetism to the bullet and it will seek out the steel target like a striking cobra.

This would make me truly unbeatable!

You might not get any misses but your stages could still be times with a sundial. :P

Archived