SASS Wire Forum

Degaussing Pistols -- Base pins in particular

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this is a joke or is this what this game has degenerated to

At ease pardner - it is but some levity in this sometimes too serious world we live in.

PBS did an entire series on this. Interestingly enough this is not a problem in outer space, Middle-earth, or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

If you change the front sight to an LED, the led should flash while the cylinder is turning and light up solid when you are on target. This should increase your accuracy when shooting black powder. However, when loading your rounds, make sure to use a grounding strap on both of your wrists as black powder does not react well with arcing.

Nothing to worry about. You simply have clockwise rotation of the cylinder and counterclockwise rifling in the barrel. The contrasting rotations is what causes the magnetism. If you percieve it to be a problem have your barrels removed and have clockwise rifling barrels installed.

Now - ya have to ask your own self..... was August West pulling your leg? ( probably not) or.... was he serious?

Send them to me and I'll replace them with ones made of upsidasium, a mineral found only in South Pago Pago and Spotsylavania.

Or under the Yacjadooobie trees growing exactly 125.284 meters up the Bluten Andes Pass! Iffen ya dig there, you will almost always fins upsidasium! Or so I hear!

Actually the O.P.s guns are export models meant Australia.

The magnetic pole in the Southern Hemisphere is opposite of the Northern Hemisphere. So the base pins are magnetized to counteract the difference.

The O.P.s guns also have internal modification that allows them to be shot upside down since Australia is on the bottom of the world.

These guns are rarely found for sale in the United States and bring a huge premium on Gunbroker.

Well if this is a joke I fell for it and I won't go back and edit my post again.

And August, if this ever does happen to you, you now have the info you need to cure it. :P

Nothing to worry about. You simply have clockwise rotation of the cylinder and counterclockwise rifling in the barrel. The contrasting rotations is what causes the magnetism. If you percieve it to be a problem have your barrels removed and have clockwise rifling barrels installed.

Noz solves the problem mightily. If you do not follow his advice, the countersupermanueveringholographicinversecosignrotationalantimagnitisticfunkyjunk attributed to this rare phenomenon could cause some of your bullets to disappear into the land of single missing socks.

Using BP as a propellant however negates the physics behind this.

Especially for Allie :wub: :wub:

Interesting parallel axiom: Directly related to cylinder rotation.......

• Murphy's Law / Finagle's corollary:
'If something can go wrong, it will' therefore 'If you throw a slice of buttered toast into the air it will always fall with the buttered side down.'
  • Cat's conservation law:
'A Cat will always land on its feet.' Demonstration
“Murphy was a pessimist”
~ Captain Obvious on Murphy's law

So, what would happen if we stick a slice of toast with butter to a cat's back and we throw it to the air? The cat, by law, will land on its feet, but the toast, (by law too) will land on the butter's side. Against this problem of physics laws, the nature chooses the best (and laziest, I think) way of taking a solution: the cat may just not fall.

Magnify-clip.png

The cat with the toast, once it's free in the air, will float at its cat-toast equilibrium point, where butter repulsion forces and cat forces are in balance. This point can be adjusted by removing some butter from the toast, adding it, or cutting some hairs (or legs) from the cat. In theory, this will cause the cat to remain stationary, however, in reality, due to varied nature of gravity and the non-uniform profile of Earth, the cat will simply spin around its center of gravity at ever-increasing speed.

In fact, most civilized species in the universe already use this principle in order to build their UFO's. Thus, the buzzing that you can hear when you see an UFO is actually the purr from the cats.

I think maybe if you put on a tin foil cap and run around your backyard yelling, "&^%$%# %%$$# . @@##(*&^ you'll be okay, that and maybe up the meds!

Since we did wander into the realm of "CATS".

Apologies to all.

What greater gift than the love of barbequed cat.

If you would know a man, observe how he treats a cat. Seasoning is the key

The coldest depth of Hell is reserved for people who abandon kittens. They are like veal with claws

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction. Mark Twain (Mr. Clemons preferred his cats with a whisky rub)

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. (Except a cat without a stew pot nearby)

I knew there was a reason that I shoot so slow. Now I have something to blame it on.

Ruh-roh....

Allie Mo - I had nothing to do with the cat tangent!!! I even profess to like most of them except for the one that bites my feet. TTB

Meanwhile - back to solutions for the magnetic guns!!!

Allie Moe - I had nothing to do with the cat tangent!!! I even profess to like most of them except for the one that bites my feet. TTB

Meanwhile - back to solutions for the magnetic guns!!! You

You put an "e" in her name - yer in B-I-G trouble!!!! :o:D :D :D

I would think this magnetic thing would be good. If...you can get it help aim your revolver at the target. It would have to be calibrated so that the recoil of round fired would knock it off target and realign on the next target. Next thing to do would be to magnetize your cylinder so that it has a reverse polarity. Effectively creating a non friction surface for your cylinder to ride on.

Magnetic target acquisition. Free floating cylinders.

I want a set of these guns. A magnetized pistol when shot will impart that magnetism to the bullet and it will seek out the steel target like a striking cobra.

This would make me truly unbeatable!

I wonder if a magnetized cylinder pin could be a gamer's mod?...The gyroscopic action of the spinning cylinder over a magnet could enhance the stability of the revolver giving the shooter an unfair advantage... :blink:

August west was just showing off that he knows a $90 word like "degaussing"!

You put an "e" in her name - yer in B-I-G trouble!!!! :o:D :D :D

I just use the original spelling for her name and stay out of trouble......Allie Meaux (bet ya'll didn't know she wuz Kajun) ;):D:lol:

Kajun

I just use the original spelling for her name and stay out of trouble......Allie Meaux (bet ya'll didn't know she wuz Kajun) ;):D:lol:

Kajun

I thought that spelling was pronounced - meow- so was hesitant to use it.

Judging by some of the threads that have been started lately (mine included) it's been a loooooong winter for some folks... :D

Actually the O.P.s guns are export models meant Australia.

The magnetic pole in the Southern Hemisphere is opposite of the Northern Hemisphere. So the base pins are magnetized to counteract the difference.

The O.P.s guns also have internal modification that allows them to be shot upside down since Australia is on the bottom of the world.

These guns are rarely found for sale in the United States and bring a huge premium on Gunbroker.

Seldom is spot on as usual.

The Australian Navy has a Degaussing Station at the bottom of Sydney Harbour. The Navy ships sail up and down and it degausses(?) the ship before it heads off to keep the moat safe.

What we sneaky Aussies do is tape our pistols (if they are northern hemi ones and not the special, and more expensive, southern ones) to the underside of a mates fishing boat and run up and down the Degaussing Station a couple of times each year.

Problem solved and you sometimes catch a nice King fish who mistakes the shiny piece of metal for a lure.

We may have sound basis for further Anti-Serious and Pseudo-Scientific Research, as conducted by the Stealth Bullet Shooting Society, of which I have the honor of membership.

Considering the learned and erudite colleague who previously suggested the rotational magnetic field seeded by the base pin would impart an attractive field to the boolit, thus propelling it like a Smart Boom toward the waiting steel plate, I must consider the opposite face of the spinning coin: could this not explain just as accurately those unexplained (stealth) misses?

Perhaps the proximity of my dogs could explain the induced magnetism: if cats have indeed the ability to magnetize base pins with a green-eyed glance, then the catlike behavior of my Basenji cross rescues might be influencing my stainless steel hardware!

Archived