SASS Wire Forum

i don't want to be political i just really want to know

Trigger Mike

I certainly do not want to start a political debate so anyone who answers can email me at auburn4814@yahoo.com . I really want to know why the news is reporting that veterans are gathering to try to prevent the keystone pipeline? is it another case of media stirring the pot with fake news? Since Im a veteran is there something I'm supposed to know that warrants the veterans verses other groups to get involved? i get it that even though the line runs off reservation land it runs under a waterway and the fear is the pipeline will contaminate the water supply. I just am not sure what the veterans are hoping to accomplish.

Maybe it's veterinarians lobbying against the pipeline. They're afraid the buffalo roaming the area will stub their hooves on the valve stems sticking up out of the ground. Just s thought. :-)

:-)

Any sub-population with a hot-button name (or a made-up name) could spontaneously produce a handful of "representatives" not representative of the whole and the press would make it appear the entire group population supports abandoning the project. Can you say "middle aged mothers with daughters under 5 with 6 toes on their left foot"? Something like that....

Very often people who flaunt their status or lack of status diminish the standing of all they claim to represent.

I can't see how it is a Veteran's Issue. Maybe that's just a phrase that is intended to scare the public.

It is not a veteran's issue at all.

Google search for "veterans against pipeline," then read the articles that appear.

I did and I still don't know what the heck "Veterans Stand" is all about. Looks to be a media grab.

2000 veterans that belong to Veterans Stand will protest. So that's 2000 out of how many? Try finding out details on this group "Veterans Stand". They are sketchy at best, which to me means the group hides the details of their existence and I'll bet making money has a lot to do with it.

i could not get rhyme nor reason from my search either other than they are being used as buffers between the police and the protesters and to build barracks. 2000 is not what i call significant enough to be labeled as such. makes me wonder how many are real veterans and not just trying to scare the police with the name. i feel if trouble comes it will just give veterans a bad name.

Did you read how much they wanted to raise with their Go Fund Me account?

Seems they stated they were around $186,000 with a goal of $500,000.

I think that sums it up.

I missed this part the first time--(After raising $1,155,780 on GoFundMe in December)

First, I have not seen any indicia that this is a legitimate veteran's group - no endorsements, no statement of purpose, no activities in support of vets or their families, no existence prior to the start of the pipeline controversy;

Second, I can find nothing online that documents any effort by this group to screen its "members", and determine that they are, in fact, vets;

Third, I am not seeing any identified leader or spokesman for the group, whose service record could be verified; nothing beyond "2000 vets" - an unidentified group of unknown individuals.

My nose is twitching; if this is a valid vet organization, why are there not names, ranks and service records in the forefront to add legitimacy to their position? And is there anything to prevent an anti-pipeline group from simply claiming that these unknown persons are vets, in order to add moral force to their resistance?

When they re-routed the pipeline to avoid the "threatened areas" claimed by the tribe, I think the resisters lost the moral high ground; by adding "vets", I believe that they are trying to regain that edge. If it's a phony claim, this may be the largest incidence of false honor in recent memory.

LL

LL

First, I have not seen any indicia that this is a legitimate veteran's group - no endorsements, no statement of purpose, no activities in support of vets or their families, no existence prior to the start of the pipeline controversy;

Second, I can find nothing online that documents any effort by this group to screen its "members", and determine that they are, in fact, vets;

Third, I am not seeing any identified leader or spokesman for the group, whose service record could be verified; nothing beyond "2000 vets" - an unidentified group of unknown individuals.

My nose is twitching; if this is a valid vet organization, why are there not names, ranks and service records in the forefront to add legitimacy to their position? And is there anything to prevent an anti-pipeline group from simply claiming that these unknown persons are vets, in order to add moral force to their resistance?

When they re-routed the pipeline to avoid the "threatened areas" claimed by the tribe, I think the resisters lost the moral high ground; by adding "vets", I believe that they are trying to regain that edge. If it's a phony claim, this may be the largest incidence of false honor in recent memory.

LL

LL

They're not phony vets or hiding behind anything. It just takes little bit of research. The founders of this group are Michael A. Woods Jr and Wes Clark Jr

http://michaelawoodjr.net/

http://www.salon.com/2016/12/05/wes-clark-jr-at-standing-rock-generals-activist-son-heads-to-n-d-driven-by-spiritual-fire-and-ready-to-be-killed/

And 2000 is a relatively small number of veterans considering how many are out there. But answer me when was the last time there were 2000 veterans standing behind one common cause? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

When it comes to the DAPL ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you read can be taken at face value. EVERY SIDE and I do mean every, has twisted the facts to support their point of view.

Because a picture is worth a thousand words. Here are a few thousands words for everyone to make up their own minds about what really mattered to the protesters

Before

0.0-1.jpg

AfterDAPL-Garbage.jpg

https://kobi5.com/news/crews-cleaning-up-mountains-of-garbage-at-dapl-protest-camp-46186/

who+pays.PNG

I would imagine there are veterans who stand on all sides of issues depending on their personal beliefs, just like non veterans. I would think a group of like minded veterans might form a veterans group that would take a stand on whatever it is they collectively believe in. Like Utah Bob said, not a "veterans issue", but an issue certain folks who happen to be veterans are taking a stand on.

An interesting side note is who stands to lose if the pipeline is finished?

The rail company who currently ships the oil that the pipeline will carry.

Warren Buffet owns the shipping. I've heard figures of as much as a 2 billion dollar loss to him.

This is data gleaned from the internet. I make no claim for the validity of it.

i have heard similar figures. he owns Burlington Northern. Canadian Pacific also ships the oil and if I recall right they had a derailment of an oil train a while back. so we know rail is not entirely safe. then a pipeline in Alabama that feeds oil to us in GA broke thus a pipeline is not entirely safe either.

I suspect somebody decided it would be a great idea to enlist vets to their cause because,

A. they might be willing to stand up and face down the poleece because of course all vets are hardened combat dudes (not), and

B. the Poleece probably wouldn't beat, gas or shoot them because vets are popular nowadays and they would suffer a public relations whammy.

Oy

But, as they say...

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

:rolleyes:

But Sedalia Dave, They care about the environment!... :blink:

Yeah... right... just

Look at what happened... former U.S. Secretaries of State - James Baker and George Shultz proposing a new tax that the U.S. public will never be rid of... once it is enacted. The bureaucrat's keep proposing ways... to separate you... from yore hard-earned money.

Don't buy this "camel-nose under the tent" approach.

http://www.voanews.com/a/us-conservatives-baker-shultz-climate-change/3715133.html

Not political... but our fight to keep OUR OWN HARD-EARNED money... is never-ending.... and it's not political.

Somebody might want to go look up my friend... Charlie Daniel's... yesterday's piece 'bout "the streets"... I don't want to get political.

Thanks for yore indulgence.

ts

Archived