SASS Wire Forum

any experience with the Kingston M1 Garand in 22?

Trigger Mike

Yes, I have one. It is a great rifle. Mine is maybe 2 inches shorter than the M1, but just as heavy. I believe it may be a Ruger 1022 action, as it takes a Ruger mag with a plate on the bottom so it is smooth. Kingston makes their own barrels, and it shoots great. The M14's are starting to appear, but the fake magazine really sticks out the bottom.

I know the Gunsmith that did the prototypes for Kingston Armory,They are well built and accurate,Not just a dressed up .22

so its fairly accurate?

Responding now regarding a 10-22 action on my old 70's or early 80's Ruger 10-22....

IF this M-1 look-alike does have a 10-22 action and some kind of premium barrel with proper twist rate, AND, if the rifle is otherwise engineered and assembled with knowledgeable care, then my assumption is that it should be very accurate. My experience with my old factory-issued 10-22, is that I carefully polished the factory barrel on my well-used Ruger, put an old 4x scope on it and consistently took California ground squirrels at 150yds+, with hi-velocity .22 solid point ammunition after sighting in the scope for 100 yards, and holding a bit high (elevation) for the additional range. We know that people build up Ruger-based rifles with trick triggers, barrels, etc. and spend quite a bit doing it. This "M-1" .22 rifle sounds interesting. I'm going to investigate this rifle and see what's in it. It sounds, depending on its cost, pretty cool. :-)

Cat Brules

My Kingston M1 22 Is VERY accurate. And yes, they make their own barrels. The wood is very, very nice, although quite dark. I like that. I gave $650 for mine. May get the M14 also.

But ....you can get a real one from cmp for $630.

true Bob except they are out of everything. :-) I was thinking though that this would be a good way to get my sons excited about the real thing.

Keep checking with them They are catching up on orders right now.

I'm actually trying to thin my Garand collection. I got all of them i wanted except for a correct one made in 1941 and 42 and seeing my wife get cancer got me to realizing i may not be here as long as i thought and no one will know how to properly sell the better ones if I'm gone. i mentioned the 22 Garand to my 11 year old and he said he wanted it. I told him he already took my Ruger 10-22 , he said no, you gave it to me and i received it.

true Bob except they are out of everything. :-) I was thinking though that this would be a good way to get my sons excited about the real thing.

But i you already have a Garand collection, can't you get them excited about that??

yes Bob, they are already want to shoot it but are too small yet, . OK I'll admit it. I want it for myself since I gave my 11 year old my Ruger 10-22 for Christmas and my 13 year old got my first 10-22 for Christmas a few years ago after I painted the stock pink for her. She used to climb into the safe and grab it and hug it and say it was her gun back when she was small enough to fit inside it. I just think it will look cool.

A 13 year old is plenty big enough for the Garand. But if you want the .22 for yourself.....go for it. :D

Archived